What's new

Noise and coffee grinders

For what it's worth, my Bodum Bistro burr grinder is quieter than the craptastic Mr. Coffee blade grinder I used to have.

buy a hario mini mill shouldent be much louder than a peper mill. LOL and a heck of a lot cheaper than a motorized one. that and its exercise

I just drown out the sound of my grinder each morning by singing some Merle Haggard or Johnny Cash at the top of my lungs or simply banging on a cowbell.

Funny-nobody has once complained about the coffee grinder. You guys must be doing it wrong...

Cheers!

Also, just find one of those drop down blender covers they use at the smoothie shops, done deal. Baby sleeping and coffee grinding.

Also, just find one of those drop down blender covers they use at the smoothie shops, done deal. Baby sleeping and coffee grinding.
Oh, you mean the ones that are attached to, and come with the blender? Good luck with that. That doesn't mean you couldn't MacGyver one up, however. ;)

Grinders make noise but not enough to wake the neighbors. Mine would easily wake someone off the couch at start-up, but in the back bedroom, no one's going to hear you grinding coffee unless you have some pretty wild prep rituals.

Thought about this thread this morning as my coffee needs overcame the potential risk involved in waking a sleeping 3 month old. Result of experiment: Capresso Infinity does not awaken child sleeping one floor above. :thumbup1: (In other news, Costa Rican Breakfast Blend from Doka Estate was wholly unremarkable, but did the job.)

I have the cuisinart burr and a sleeping 9 month old, and haven't woken her up yet. Everyones suggestions of putting something under it does help though.

My bigger issue with the burr is the static it creates and having ground coffee literally flying out of it when it stops!

I have the cuisinart burr and a sleeping 9 month old, and haven't woken her up yet. Everyones suggestions of putting something under it does help though.

My bigger issue with the burr is the static it creates and having ground coffee literally flying out of it when it stops!

My big issue, also. I have to wait a few hours for the static to end before opening the drawer or else the coffee flies up and makes a mess.

Get a grinder with a glass receptacle, cuts down on it, although not absolutely. The only time I've noticed the any static issue with my Bodum is when I grind lighter roast. What I describe as "coffee chaff" gets deposited around the inner wall while the actual ground coffee stays down in the beaker- lighter up top, darker down in the cup.

I have 1pt wide-mouth mason jars that I use for roasted coffee (and some greens). Turns out, these perfectly fit the spot for the grounds bin on my Virtuoso.

It's my belief that if my wife or daughter hear me grinding coffee in the morning using my Rocky, they think "sucks to be him" and drift back to dreamland. That is a big if because I've had the fire alarm go off in the kitchen while I was in the basement brushing my teeth and it didn't wake them. It's not a big house.

-jim

It's my belief that if my wife or daughter hear me grinding coffee in the morning using my Rocky, they think "sucks to be him" and drift back to dreamland. That is a big if because I've had the fire alarm go off in the kitchen while I was in the basement brushing my teeth and it didn't wake them. It's not a big house.

-jim

Sounds like my house!

Look, all those home grinders are crap. Why? Because they generate a large amount of heat that is transferred to your coffee. Besides that they use crap blades that crush the coffee instead of grinding it properly. Do yourself a favor and just have it ground someplace that has a proper grinder.
Best,
Red

Look, all those home grinders are crap. Why? Because they generate a large amount of heat that is transferred to your coffee. Besides that they use crap blades that crush the coffee instead of grinding it properly. Do yourself a favor and just have it ground someplace that has a proper grinder.
Best,
Red

I disagree, not all home grinders are crap, and if you do feel that way, buy a commercial machine for at home. Secondly, if they are well made, they should not generate lots of heat and cook your coffee.

If you are referring to a blade grinder, sure, they can get hot and they don't grind coffee, they chop it up into bits.

But, I strongly disagree on the last statement. Are you suggesting that we have our coffee grounds days or weeks ahead of brewing? No thank you.

Best,
Red
(don your flame-retardant reading glasses)

1. which grinder are you referring to?
2. have you measured said heat under ordinary domestic use? have you measured said heat under ordinary domestic use for every domestic grinder on the market?
3. are you implying that "properly ground" is more important than "freshly ground?" If so, I strongly (flame-throwingly strongly) suggest that you re-evaluate your priorities in coffee brewing.

Fresh coffee is always better than stale coffee, even if achieving this requires throwing whole beans into a zip-lock bag and grinding it by stomping with the heal of your boot. I could argue a plethora of reasons why, but I figured I'd give you the chance to just take my word for it first.

(it is now safe to remove your flame-retardant reading glasses)

Heh. I have a friend with a coffee maker/grinder that is insanely loud. Whenever she uses it while we're chatting on the phone, I refer to it as her klaxon alarm.

i have capresso infinity, it's not quiet, but it's a low rumble that could probably wake a very sensitive sleeper. no one in my house seems to complain.

Top Bottom