What's new

Noise and coffee grinders

If given these as the only options, I'd beat my coffee into chunks with a hammer before using pre-ground.

I've done that - whole beans, broken grinder, plastic baggy, rolling pin. The results are what already caffeinated folks would think they would be.

What could work is a mortar and pestle in a pinch. very quiet with a grind that might work ok in a french press or CCD?

-jim

the only thing that would be good for is french press. i dont think it grinds any finer.

Fine by me, that's all I drink

I really haven't gotten into the whole espresso thing due to costs (broke college kid), but my french press produces some fine coffee that is usually a better deal than coffee in a can anyways.

If your concerned about the noise. One day when home alone throw some beans in the grinder turn it on and walk to the room your concerned with the noise reaching. If it is to loud then you need a new grinder if not your ok

Resurrecting a long dead thread here. I received a Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder as a Christmas gift this year, and just made my first pot (Trader Joe's Kona, made in the Bonavita). The coffee tastes very good, and the fresh ground coffee was far more fragrant than the pre-ground that I typically bought. Answering my own question, the grinder is loud. It's not as loud as, say, a blender, but it's not suitable for grinding at 530 in the morning in my house. I will just grind the beans the night before.

I'm glad to hear that good coffee is in your future. :thumbup1:

If I put my grinder on a towel or over mitt it really dampens the vibration and noise. In that form it's quiet enough to use in another room.

Try covering it with a towel.

You are best to grind just before you brew.

the difference is not as dramatic as canned coffee vs bean coffee but it is noticeable.

The conical grinders make more noise than the flat burr ones do for some reason.

During the week, I'm going to have to compromise a little, Mick. The fresh ground coffee this week (even if it was the night before) has been a big upgrade over the pre-ground, locally roasted beans I've been enjoying all these years. Right now, I am drinking a French pressed cup of Kona, and talk about smooth.

I've forgotten to pre-grind the night before on a few occasions now, and decided to chance it and grind in the morning. It's loud but no one woke up, so I'm grinding in the morning now.

Bob, if they do wake up they may just think "there but for the grace of god go I" and head back into slumber town.

-jim

A hand grinder would be much quieter (zassenhaus, Hario). But if you're grinding for a pot, that could be a workout.

This! We have a Lido 2 that, while not quite silent, wouldn't wake someone sleeping 5 feet away. Grinding espresso for 8 people would take a while, but for one or two or any amount for a coarse grind (like French Press), it's a cinch and the grind is excellent, very, very uniform.

I've been known to use the hand grinder when I get up "too early" and don't want to wake others.

I'll make a short press or Moka pot or vacuum pot instead of grinding a full 12 cup amount for the Bunn.

The Bunn makes a bit of noise when heating up too.

I have a Baratza which my son sent me. but since it is 110Volt, I've never used it.. and can't find a buyer here on Post. So it is waiting patiently to be taken home to the USofA. Meantime, I use a hand grinder since I am the only coffee drinker.

If you're only making one or two cups, it works nicely.

Top Bottom