What's new

Nicplata Admiration

As some might know, I've been spending a lot of time lately going through the back-of-the-rack, looking for the razors that I haven't shaved with, or haven't brought into rotation for a long time. 3 shaves each, and I'm on to the next one.

Thus far, I've spent time with:
- the black-bottom Gillette Super Adjustable
- the Neillite safety razor
- the Contact safety razor
- the Fasan bakelite slant
- the Hoffritz open-comb travel razor

Today, however, I picked up what may be the best of the bunch so far. Before today, I would have rated the Fasan bakelite slant the best of the back-of-the-rack, by an easy margin. But today I took the Nicplata for a spin, with a NOS Gillette Bleue Extra inside, and I may have a new top contender. It's what looks like a standard 3-piece, but it has a perforated (and engraved) cap, with a similarly perforated baseplate. The guard bar is slotted, so while it can't be called an open-comb, it aspires to that type of performance. The slots run at a slight angle, which is a little different. The razor is a real beaut, with very shiny plating (nickel, I assume). The grip looks smooth, and the handle is hexagonal, but it doesn't slip in the hand very much at all. The weight and balance is similar to a tech.

I am not a guy who strives for BBS. I look for a comfortable shave that looks great and comes out pretty smooth. Most shaves I get (back-of-the-rack or not) are generally DFS in 2 passes. In general, I can get very good 2-pass DFS results from any one of the two dozen or so razors in my regular rotation. It's pretty hard to impress me, as a result. The Fasan slant was the latest razor to surprise me, but I've had a new surprise with the Nicplata. I'm enjoying the first BBS in a very long time, and the comfort and control offered by the Nicplata is to blame.

It's remarkably comfortable in the hand, the angles are intuitive, and it is one of the most audibly responsive razors I've used since I decided to put the straights away. It might look like a tech to which someone "added lightness", but it behaves more aggressively with a comparable level of comfort. I'm surprised and delighted by it, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next 2 shaves. It just goes to show that it's easy to overlook what looks like an oddball, only to have it demonstrate real excellence when you finally give it a chance.

I present you with the Nicplata, and my hearty recommendation in its favor.
Cheers,
-- Chet

Attachments

• $nicp1_smaller.jpg
    $nicp1_smaller.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 145
  • $nicp2_smaller.jpg
    $nicp2_smaller.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 145
Had shave #2 with the Nicplata this morning. DFS in a couple passes. Didn't quite get under my chin as well, this morning.

It occurred to me that one possible reason for the close shaves is the gap between the bar and blade. You can see it in the bottom pic. There's actually a pretty big gap, there. I compared it to a Stahly head, and it's pretty similar. I'm still very much a Nicplata fan.
-- Chet

Completed shave #3 with the Nicplata, and managed to get a very easy BBS: a very pleasing and welcome result. I very much like this razor, and think its performance has a lot to do with the curvature of the blade and the exposure between the edge and the guard bar. It struck me this morning that it's very much like the Progress in those respects. With shave #3, I'm moving on to another razor from the back-of-the-rack, but the Nicplata will surely come back around, and may become part of the regular rotation. If you can find one of these, jump on it. You won't be disappointed.
-- Chet

Top Bottom