What's new

Nickel Pated Bulldog

This is simply beautifull :thumbup1:

How did the razor look before the replating?

Regards.

Jakob

Here's a picture of it before it went to the plating shop.
proxy.php

This is the only picture I have of it before I cleaned it up.
proxy.php

Very nice Bob, I might just have you re-plate the bulldog I scored last week. It came along with this sort of travel injector razor. Any luck on getting a price quote on plating in silver or rhodium?

I sent them a picture of some 3 piece razors requesting a quote and they never got back to me.
Anyone interested should probably call them on the phone, but from looking at the pricing sheet it would be at least $40.
I just spent $180 on plating, but that was for 45 pieces.
http://www.artisanplating.com/pricing/index.html

If someone were to send you a razor, would you be able to have it plated for them? This looks great!

If someone were to send you a razor, would you be able to have it plated for them? This looks great!

Yes: But only in polished nickel and "No TTOs!!"
I'm going to send off another batch in about 2 weeks.
Plating doesn't fill scratches and pit's, it just plates over them.
So if the razor doesn't look good when you prep it, it's not going to look good when it's replated.

So does it work out to $4 a piece, or is that just a convenient whole number average?

I can see why $20 a NEW head doesn't make it worth your while when it costs $8 plus shipping for replating, plus your original cost of the head, plus the time to clean and prep.

Bob,

Joining the chorus, beautiful. :thumbup1:

Do you have the whole razor plated, or just certain parts? I have used the services of a metal plating company occasionally and I have often wondered about replating ugly, but otherwise good, razors.

Also, what do you use to get out the scratches, some fine grain emory cloth? Just polish of some kind? Or is this trade secrets?

Bob,

Joining the chorus, beautiful. :thumbup1:

Do you have the whole razor plated, or just certain parts? I have used the services of a metal plating company occasionally and I have often wondered about replating ugly, but otherwise good, razors.

Also, what do you use to get out the scratches, some fine grain emory cloth? Just polish of some kind? Or is this trade secrets?

There's an old saying you can't polish a turd.
You can't turn a crappy looking razor into something nice just by plating it.
I start off with 320 wet/dry emery paper, I use a small block to keep the edges of the cap square, this is the grit that's going to remove all the defects.
You can then either use finer w/d paper or micro-mesh pads.
Each finer grit removes the scratches from the previous one.
There is no secret, just elbow grease and sore fingers.
After all this I lightly and very carefully buff using tripoli, it's very easy for the buffer to snatch your parts, sling them across the room turning your hard work into garbage.
Any defect that remain will show through the plating.
Some of the NEW heads I have plated look factory new, others still have minor flaws.

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

Hey Bob, didn't you know that Gillette had better nickel plating 50 years ago?

Just Kidding, the razor looks awesome.

Yes: But only in polished nickel and "No TTOs!!"
I'm going to send off another batch in about 2 weeks.
Plating doesn't fill scratches and pit's, it just plates over them.
So if the razor doesn't look good when you prep it, it's not going to look good when it's replated.

Awesome, I don't have anything in particular in mind right now, but I will keep this in mind. Thank you!

There's an old saying you can't polish a turd.
You can't turn a crappy looking razor into something nice just by plating it.
I start off with 320 wet/dry emery paper, I use a small block to keep the edges of the cap square, this is the grit that's going to remove all the defects.
You can then either use finer w/d paper or micro-mesh pads.
Each finer grit removes the scratches from the previous one.
There is no secret, just elbow grease and sore fingers.
After all this I lightly and very carefully buff using tripoli, it's very easy for the buffer to snatch your parts, sling them across the room turning your hard work into garbage.
Any defect that remain will show through the plating.
Some of the NEW heads I have plated look factory new, others still have minor flaws.

Bob,

Understood and thanks for the tips.

Top Bottom