What's new

Nib Acquisitions, March 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Let us see any of your new acquisitions for the month of March.

Have at it!

Yup, still researching who to send it to.

I've had great luck with Danny Fudge at thewritepen.net. $20 plus shipping ought to get that working for you. He offers fantastic customer service and is an overall nice guy to deal with. I'm a happy customer anyway.

-Andy

My package arrived today from Goulet's. They're a birthday present for my soon to be 8 year old daughter. She's always 'borrowing' her older brother's Pelikano Jr., so I think she'll love her own pen.
$20150304_202324.jpg

I've had great luck with Danny Fudge at thewritepen.net. $20 plus shipping ought to get that working for you. He offers fantastic customer service and is an overall nice guy to deal with. I'm a happy customer anyway.
-Andy
I'm another of Mr. Fudge's very happy customers. He did a great job on my late grandmother's Sheaffer Commandant.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Newest member of the family. Pelikan Souveran M600

Very nice! I just got a new red M400 which is currently somewhere between Germany and here. I'll be sure to show it, hopefully next week.

Congrats on the new acquisition!

Sharp looking pen! How do you like it so far?

At first I was very frustrated as it seemed to skip all over the place. With much practice and trial and error I have discovered that the way I grip it is very important. When I hold it close to the nib it is smooth and wonderful. I've got Diamine Oxblood in it and it looks wonderful.

I picked up four fountain pens at an estate sale last weekend plus my bride got an Eversharp mechanical pencil. They were in a big bin of writing utensils marked 5 for $1.00! I did invest $10 in a modern Sheaffer convertor to swap out between the Sheaffers to see how they wrote.

Below are pics of three of the pens. I havne't gotten around to cleaning up the other one.
From left to right, Osmiroid (not sure on model) with Italic Medium Straight nib, and two Sheaffer No Nonsense pens with Italic Fine nibs.

$three_pens_uncapped.jpg

The black No Nonsense has brassing and pitting on the clip, and a chunk out of the body. The Red No Nonsense has a nib where the tines are misaligned. Since the nib unit screws in and out, I just moved the bad nib to the black pen since it already had some cosmetic issues. I figure I would keep the the nib around in case I get to the point of working on a pen.

$misaligned_tines.jpg$sheaffer_black_top_dmg.jpg$sheaffer_black_bottom_dmaged.jpg

1946 (I believe) Canadian Parker Vacumatic pen/pencil set. Trying to diagnose the pencil. Nib is 14k with a little flex!

Travelled down to the Baltimore-Washington Pen Show yesterday. It was a very nice show, well-attended (to the point of almost being crowded), and plenty of bling, eye-candy, and nice pen stuff!

Here's my primary acquisition.

$IMG_2317.jpg

$IMG_2318.jpg

It's a 1941 Sheaffer Balance, "Defender" model. It's a full size, standard girth model, two-tone fine #5 Feather-Touch nib, in striated grey pearl plastic with a military clip (short clip that wraps over the top, designed to be concealed by the flap on a uniform shirt pocket). It's not a "Lifetime" pen-- no white dot, but it's a good, solid pen that's in terrific condition. The nib is fairly stiff, with just a touch more feedback than I care for, but I think a few strokes on a 12K mylar sheet should smooth it out nicely. I've been wanting a Sheaffer with a military clip for a while, so finding a nice deal on this one ($50) was a pleasant surprise.

I also grabbed a couple of Rhodia dot pads and a squeeze converter for a Sheaffer-Levenger Connaisseur.

My wife actually ended up spending more than me! She came home with a lovely little red-and-black enameled Parker Sonnet FP and a very cool antique brass rocker blotter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom