What's new

Newbie to proper shaving: first straight shave!

Hello all,

I've just done my first 'real' shave. I've used cartridge razors since I began shaving around 28 years ago, yet have wanted to get into using a straight razor for the longest time. Today feels almost like a rite of passage, and so I recorded the process with pics and a couple of videos.

It went amazingly well. I shaved my head, and edged my beard. Demerits to me:

- shaky hands at the start. My heart was bumping along as I prepared, and began shaving!
- one small nick, I think of a spot at the back of my head
- a little diffuse razor burn, and some small hotter spots around my skull
- some instant, angry red spots on my neck where I tried to go ATG with minimal lather

I had around 3-4 days growth. I washed my scalp and beard beforehand with hot water and Body Shop sensitive skin soap. Lather was courtesy of Castle Forbes Sandalwood and a Vulfix 374s brush, whipped in a (too) small Anbbas bowl. The shave used my brand new Feather Artist Club SS with Proguard blade - arrived today from Japan. It felt incredibly forgiving, and I could quickly find a good angle of attack using auditory feedback as the blade began shaving.

(I should state I researched the process of straight shaving quite a bit beforehand, learning about good methodology. I watched some great videos by people including Geofatboy and Michael Freedberg, which helped immensely!)

With my cartridge razor I typically go ATG on my initial pass (my hair is quite fine). I touch up as required based on feel, and I can get BBS with no difficulty. Here, I went WTG, and performed between one and three passes. I went XTG over my temples and parietal cranium, but wasn't comfortable enough to even attempt this at the rear.

After between one and four passes, patiently re-lathering as required, I felt I was probably done. Today the WTG shave could not provide the instant feedback I usually get from feel, and I don't use a mirror to do the back of my head. So I asked my partner to come and evaluate the results. She pointed out just three small spots to touch up, which were quickly sorted. I rinsed, used an alum block which gave feedback but was not unpleasant, re-rinsed then applied my usual post-shave preparation: a light application of aqueous cream followed by some Old Spice lotion.

I had expected more cuts and more 'burn'. I was really careful, but I do also think the Proguard blades forgave a great deal. What I didn't expect, was how great my scalp and beard edges feel, following the shave! This may be down to the (excellent) Castle Forbes shave cream, or perhaps the alum, or maybe the razor itself.

What I do know for sure, is that I'm excited to do the next one!

Luke
02.jpg
02.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 06.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2575.jpeg
    IMG_2575.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Congratulations and welcome. I'll say you have way more guts than I do. I'm chaffing to try a straight razor but I want to conquer DE first.

Thanks all. @Newbomb Turk - it’s definitely not guts! I’m just wilful and a bit thick.

I’m also doing it somewhat *** about face, as I want a good safety razor for travel, and days when I have less time. So yesterday I ordered a new Razorock Hawk v2 from eBay. Very excited about that too! @Lightcs1776 rabbit hole indeed!!

Welcome

Greta choice o cream!! Castel Forbes is very good!

I also started straight shaving with the
A feather SS shavette and with the proguard blades. Then I switched to the professional blades and in a second of time I Did the worst cut to my self while shaving.

Then Iv bought a straight razor and what a diference much more safe then the SS.

Congratulations!!!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Welcome

Greta choice o cream!! Castel Forbes is very good!

I also started straight shaving with the
A feather SS shavette and with the proguard blades. Then I switched to the professional blades and in a second of time I Did the worst cut to my self while shaving.

Then Iv bought a straight razor and what a diference much more safe then the SS.

Congratulations!!!

Thank you. I'm planning to stick with the Proguard blades for a fair while yet! I'm aware I have much to learn, so am going to take my time and enjoy the process... Hopefully without too much blood!

I've bought a proper straight razor, but wish to get competent with the Feather before I jump down yet another rabbit hole with stropping, honing and the famed 'RAD' hahaha.

Re: Castle Forbes I have to mention Executive Shaving. I called them to discuss my needs - sensitive skin - and their finance manager took time to guide me through the available options. I settled on Castle Forbes for various reasons, it arrived very quickly and I'm really pleased with the results. May treat myself to a CF EDT soon too.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm planning to stick with the Proguard blades for a fair while yet! I'm aware I have much to learn, so am going to take my time and enjoy the process... Hopefully without too much blood!

I've bought a proper straight razor, but wish to get competent with the Feather before I jump down yet another rabbit hole with stropping, honing and the famed 'RAD' hahaha.

Re: Castle Forbes I have to mention Executive Shaving. I called them to discuss my needs - sensitive skin - and their finance manager took time to guide me through the available options. I settled on Castle Forbes for various reasons, it arrived very quickly and I'm really pleased with the results. May treat myself to a CF EDT soon too.

Ok
Good thoughts enjoying the shaving
When you master the ss Feather straights will have no secrets to you. Actually will be ridiculous easy to use compared to SS. The SS requires quite a deal of concentration. If we get cocky it will call for blood

I’v sensitive skin also but now A friend gave me a sample of the Rituals Samurai Shaving cream and its my top shaving cream nowadays. It’s applied by hand and its so perfect to shave that I want nothing else and it’s also a aftershave cream. I don’t know if it available in US.
Kind regards

Hello all,

Thanks again for the incredible welcome folks.

That's shave no.2 done: I wanted to feel the difference between taking off 3-4 days' growth vs say 18-24h (plus was excited to practice!!). Another small nick - I felt it as it happened, a small bleed which stopped as I progressed through the shave.

The back of the head is difficult, and today felt more so than yesterday - I think because I wasn't using the same technique. With shave no.1 I used bold long strokes while keeping my chin tucked to my chest. Today I was more hesitant for some reason, and used a number of smaller, short strokes. In this way I ended up missing quite a bit, and having to do even more passes than yesterday. Skin feels very lightly burned at the back, but not too bad all in all.

One thing I did notice was a number of small whitish particles left behind on my scalp after the final passes - soft but firm. I wondered if this was dried shave cream, or perhaps exfoliated skin?? Anyway, I'm claiming today as a win, despite it taking an age.

ETA having learned the terminology, I'm calling it somewhere between a CCS and an SAS :001_tongu

Luke

Luke,

You have my respect. I would never shave my head with a straight on my first attempt lol!

Even today, I am still very respectful of my straights, I started sometime early Jan and have just 12-15 shaves so far, I love how it feels but every nick makes me slightly more worried.

Good luck and better shaves!!!

Top Bottom