What's new

Newbie looking for Razor under $20.00

Just caught the DE shaving bug recently and I do have a Assure razor I purchased at dollar tree (I know) nonetheless its what I've been practicing on and the results aren't that bad, got some Dorco prime and Derby blades . I just have to touch up hard to reach spots with a mach 3, Just looking to upgrade to a better razor up to $20.00 and so far I have my eye on these 3.Would love some input of which I should go with or other suggestions.Thanks.

Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle

Van Der Hagen

NIB Wilkinson Sword Classic
schone from amazon

+4 RazoRock SLOC. If I had started with this razor I would have saved a lot of money. Although eventually RAD kicks in.

I’m biased, but so are most of us. We all have our favorites.
I mostly use Gillette adjustables I found on eB.. Black Beauty’s & Slim’s are best for me. After learning techniques on a lower setting, so as not to expend too much blood, you can experiment at higher settings and find your own sweet spot.
Unless you are a collector, don’t worry about an imperfection when you buy a used one. As long as it’s not damaged, it will work well. Also, don’t worry about germs on a used razor. Lot’s of instruction available on cleaning.
Regardless of razor, the right blade for you will make all the difference. Which one is best? Gotta try them out. YMMV
Check out the Safety Razor Blades section for suggestions.
Have fun.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone!! I went with the Black Tiger, Saw good reviews on it and Couldn't resist the price.$11.01 But knowing me I will probably end up chasing everyone razor listed on this post seriously,I'm Making a list. Keep in mind I'm using the Dollar tree razor now.

Has the Tiger arrived yet?

Just wanted to write a little something here. I just got the Vintage Style DE Razor from wetshavingclub.com and right now you can get it with 105 MenSmell Stainless Steel blades for $12 shipped, and if you bump up to $17 you can get the razor with Astra Platinum or Parker Platinum blades. Not a bad deal to me.

Here's a link:

I really do think this is a good deal for the razor and blades. Love my Merkur 34C the most still though.

I also just got a few handles and heads from Maggard Razors. They seem cool. The blue anodized handles are only $9.99 right now and the heads other than the slant seem to run around $5.

I also just ordered the Black Tiger and the Sumatra from Global Shave club because I really like the idea of a tech razor, but I haven't really committed to going into vintage razors yet.

Hope you find something you love!

schone from amazon

Open comb? For a beginner's razor? Yikes.

The good news is that there's lots of mild, decent, inexpensive, new double edge razors out there, which is a far cry from what it was over a decade ago when I started shaving with a single blade.

Open comb? For a beginner's razor? Yikes.

The good news is that there's lots of mild, decent, inexpensive, new double edge razors out there, which is a far cry from what it was over a decade ago when I started shaving with a single blade.

Remember that some of the first DE razors ever produced by Gillette were open combs. Although I guess the men who used them might have shaved previously with a straight razor.

I have a soft spot for Baili razors, that's what I started shaving with and to this day find them very good - just a tad milder than what I now like.

Look at Baili TTO, it's cheap and a very good shaver.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks everyone!! I went with the Black Tiger, Saw good reviews on it and Couldn't resist the price.$11.01 But knowing me I will probably end up chasing everyone razor listed on this post seriously,I'm Making a list. Keep in mind I'm using the Dollar tree razor now.

It'll be interesting to hear about this razor. I've not heard of it (which means nothing). Hope you enjoy it.

Some of my favorites under $20?
  • Fatip (the Piccolo is under $20, but the slightly over $20 Grande has a fat handle which I like a lot better).
  • RR SLOC (an excellent shaver + it looks very cool).
  • Schick Krona (vintage razor, but mine arrived in really great shape and cost $10 with shipping; really nice shaver).

Nickle fatip gentile.jpgRR.SLOC.640.5-18.JPGKrona.640.6-18-18.JPG

All three of these are very good razors (for me).

There aren't many razors which are not loved by somebody. You've probably already discovered what some razors cost.

Welcome to the forum and happy shaving,

Jim

Stirling Soap Company offers some DE razors for under $20 (with shipping it'll be about $25) with the standard head. The handles are stainless steel and made in the USA while the head is made of zamak.

I do not have a lot of razors like many other, have about 20. If I had to spend $20 on a razor to get started, my suggestion is a West Coast shaving solid bar head on about any of their handles. I know this is a DE89 style head, but for me, it is slightly more efficient and has become one of my top favorites regardless of its price. It pairs great with a personna red. This razor is my vacation razor because I know it can be trusted and if lost, it won't break the bank to replace.

How did the Black Tiger and the Sumatra work for you?
I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I have been working on some shave videos for my YouTube channel and I have been only changing one thing at a time while I am trying out blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, brushes, and razors. I decided I would try to do my shaving vids in the order that I got the products, so might be a few more weeks until I get to them. I only just got to use the Maggard Razors V3M I ordered almost a month ago. I think I might have ordered a bit too much all at once...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I have been working on some shave videos for my YouTube channel and I have been only changing one thing at a time while I am trying out blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, brushes, and razors. I decided I would try to do my shaving vids in the order that I got the products, so might be a few more weeks until I get to them. I only just got to use the Maggard Razors V3M I ordered almost a month ago. I think I might have ordered a bit too much all at once...
LOL.....I know the feeling (see the Tech Clone Wars thread ;)).

Hey @Steve K

There seem to be a lot of posts for the SLOC here... If you are interested in that one, and CONUS, I have the SLOC razor head I can give you. You'll need to find a handle for it, though, as the handle got transplanted to a different razor. Lol.

Send me a PM if this works.

Top Bottom