What's new

Newbie looking for Razor under $20.00

Just caught the DE shaving bug recently and I do have a Assure razor I purchased at dollar tree (I know) nonetheless its what I've been practicing on and the results aren't that bad, got some Dorco prime and Derby blades . I just have to touch up hard to reach spots with a mach 3, Just looking to upgrade to a better razor up to $20.00 and so far I have my eye on these 3.Would love some input of which I should go with or other suggestions.Thanks.

Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle

Van Der Hagen

NIB Wilkinson Sword Classic

I have a Van Der Hagen with a short handle. I can't imagine there is anything better. The Van Der Hagen is a Weishi clone, so either one will do. I use Astra SP blades and Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades. I consider them equivalents. The blades that come with the razor aren't so good.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If you are OK getting a used razor (plenty of info on B&B regarding how to sanitize a used razor), get a pre-war, post-war or 1950s Gillette Tech. Search eBay and you should be able to find one in decent condition for ~$20.

If you don't care for the idea of used razors, then consider one of these:

Screenshot_20190911_101146.jpg

Pretty darn good all metal razor for $11 including shipping.

Or, get a RazoRock SLOC for $17 (plus shipping). One of my favorite razors.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

If you are OK getting a used razor (plenty of info on B&B regarding how to sanitize a used razor), get a pre-war, post-war or 1950s Gillette Tech. Search eBay and you should be able to find one in decent condition for ~$20.

View attachment 1023159

+1 on razorock SLOC. my favorite razor and used more than some costing ten times as much.

I have a number of DE razors ranging from very mild to quite aggressive. The VDH/Weishi razors are on the very mild end. I have large hands and prefer the long handled version, but those with smaller hands might prefer the short handle. They seem to be fairly decent razors. They are too mild for me if I use a mild DE blade, but if equipped with a very sharp blade, the razors work quite well.

Sometimes the VDH razors come with VDH "ice tempered" blades made in Germany. I believe they are the same as the Merkur blades that come in some Merkur razors. Both blades are fairly dull, which is OK is you are a new shaver with a light beard. They just do not work for me, especially in a mild razor. The Derby Extra blades are also pretty dull. If you got Derby Premium, they are supposed to be a little sharper. The Dorco Prime blades, are top notch blades. They are made in Vietnam on state of the art machinery. The blades are both sharp and smooth. I liked them will enough to purchase 100.

View attachment 1023159

Thanks everyone!! I went with the Black Tiger, Saw good reviews on it and Couldn't resist the price.$11.01 But knowing me I will probably end up chasing everyone razor listed on this post seriously,I'm Making a list. Keep in mind I'm using the Dollar tree razor now.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I’m another vote for a Gillette Tech. You can readily find them for under the $20 mark and they are a great razor IMHO.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
+2 on the Razorock SLOC, although I drilled out the handle to make it lighter....... or a Fatip Piccolo

+3 on the SLOC, such a great razor head! You get the benefit of open comb to plow through almost anything, it always leaves you with phantom lubrication after the stoke/pass, hence self lubricating open comb, lol. Smooth as silk after! I think the SLOC will surface for my Tues/Wed shave! me thinks this thing needs to go to North Shore for a custom paint job, add a little fun to it!

9160B525-40B0-40D8-90AA-0DC7B157F0D2.jpeg

all this talk of good razors for under $20 begs the question what do the more expensive razors have that under 20 dollar razors don't? i am a newbie and bought my 3-piece mercur 23c because it had good reviews. but i see just about ALL razors get good reviews. what gives?

all this talk of good razors for under $20 begs the question what do the more expensive razors have that under 20 dollar razors don't? I am a newbie and bought my 3-piece mercur 23c because it had good reviews. but i see just about ALL razors get good reviews. what gives?

My $12.00 Van der Hagen gives me a Damn Fine Shave (DFS) in one pass with some minor touch up. With practice, the right blade, soap and brush combination, your razor can do the same. Since there is not a substantial increase in performance available, spending more money won't give me a better shave. However, if I spend $250 for a razor, you can bet I'll say the shave is better.

all this talk of good razors for under $20 begs the question what do the more expensive razors have that under 20 dollar razors don't? i am a newbie and bought my 3-piece mercur 23c because it had good reviews. but i see just about ALL razors get good reviews. what gives?

Well, I have a VDH twist to open razor that cost me less than $20. I also have razors from Merkur, Edwin Jagger, Muhle, and Parker. I have both brass and stainless steel razors from Karve Shaving. The Karve ss cost me $205 Canadian dollars ($161 US). I can get a decent shave from each of the razors. However, each one of them varies in the shave experience and a slightly different technique is required when using each of them.

It is only a matter of time before the TTO mechanism on the inexpensive VDH fails. The screw threads on the plated Zamac razors are becoming corroded and will one day no longer be usable. The solid brass and stainless steel razors from Karve will easily last through my lifetime and will be passed down to my heirs.

Thus, it is a matter of which you prefer and which you can afford.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
@acorn54 , I re-discovered wet shaving early this year, so I still consider myself a noob too.

What gives? is a good question I had myself. I had started out with a Vikings Blade Chieftain, and there was zero talk about that particular razor. Why? Because it is is an overpriced, overhyped Amazon special, not worth using for a shave.

But, you do hear a lot of positive comments about VDH, Merkur's, Fatip's, EJ's, vintage tech's, etc...... That is because they are inexpensive reliable razors that ARE worth using.

I hope this answers your question!
prof

@Rosseforp,

I just read through your whole journal and noticed you had difficulty with Williams. It's my only soap, so I'm a bit biased when I say it's the best there is.

Try using your Cremo horsehair brush. I wet it and gently squeeze out the excess water with my thumb and forefinger. Then I swirl it lightly about 40 times on the puck. I face lather while not compressing the bristles too much until a halfway decent lather forms on about the top 3/4 inch of the puck. Spin the brush a bit so the lather forms evenly. There is another level of lather that forms after a minute or two that paints on with a consistency like yogurt. This magic level is snail snot slick and gives great cushion.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
@Rosseforp,

I just read through your whole journal and noticed you had difficulty with Williams. It's my only soap, so I'm a bit biased when I say it's the best there is.

Try using your Cremo horsehair brush. I wet it and gently squeeze out the excess water with my thumb and forefinger. Then I swirl it lightly about 40 times on the puck. I face lather while not compressing the bristles too much until a halfway decent lather forms on about the top 3/4 inch of the puck. Spin the brush a bit so the lather forms evenly. There is another level of lather that forms after a minute or two that paints on with a consistency like yogurt. This magic level is snail snot slick and gives great cushion.
@GaryTha , thanks for taking the time for reading my journal, right now it is mostly random selections as I catch up. I do appreciate the Williams tips, as I did notice that you are a WISE guy.

I think in one of my posts I did mention that my Cremo horsehair will whip up a great WMS lather, that might have been in MWF OCtober, as I have been using MWF only this month, and I noticed that MWF and WMS seem to play the same.
I do have about 8 pucks of WMS in stock.................

prof

Top Bottom