What's new

Newbie Lapping Question

For those who lap on a flat surface with sandpaper, do you need a fresh piece of sandpaper each time you lap? I've lapped my coti twice now and used a fresh piece each time but I wasn't sure if it was really necessary. I'm not sure how wet/dry sandpaper dries (e.g. does it get wrinkled?) and besides, my sandpaper's been covered in slurry when I finished. Anyway, it seemed like kind of a waste, but I'm not sure there's a choice. What do you do?

If you are lapping a different stone, definitely use a new piece, otherwise you risk grit contamination. For the same stone, you should be ok, but a fresh piece will likely cut quicker. If you are lapping a lot, DMT's are better value for the money (unless you have free wet/dry sandpaper).

You can and should rinse off the paper during and after you lap. Once it gets wet, it wants to roll up when drying (at least the paper I use does), so I make sure there is something to keep the edges from rolling up when it dries.

Sandpaper does loose it's bite relaively quickly, but you should be able to get 2-3 uses out of a full sheet if you use the coti for razors only. You can also use the slurry stone to work the areas of the stone that don't get used by the razor when making a slurry to keep the wear more balanced.

Other options then DMT and wet/dry sandpaper include Shapton lapping plates, both diamond and one that uses carbide powders on a cast iron plate. You can also use the carbide powders by themselves on a flat surface to lap stones.

For those who lap on a flat surface with sandpaper, do you need a fresh piece of sandpaper each time you lap? I've lapped my coti twice now and used a fresh piece each time but I wasn't sure if it was really necessary. I'm not sure how wet/dry sandpaper dries (e.g. does it get wrinkled?) and besides, my sandpaper's been covered in slurry when I finished. Anyway, it seemed like kind of a waste, but I'm not sure there's a choice. What do you do?

Well... IMHO, it's entirely likely that you are lapping your coticule entirely too much. Dishing on a coticule isn't much of a problem and at it can be offset by raising slurry on the corners and edges of the stone. I've never lapped my coticule since getting it from the mine...

Well... IMHO, it's entirely likely that you are lapping your coticule entirely too much. Dishing on a coticule isn't much of a problem and at it can be offset by raising slurry on the corners and edges of the stone. I've never lapped my coticule since getting it from the mine...

Paul beat me to it! A big +1.

I don't lap any stone I slurry.

And I slurry every stone I use anymore.

So I guess I don't lap stones any more.

That said, If it's the same stone and the paper still cuts, it's fine to reuse. I used to lap heatplates a ton. You'll quickly get a feel for when the paper loses it's ability to cut.

Top Bottom