What's new

Newbie from Nottingham

Hi everyone, I'm pretty much a newbie around wet shaving and after reading a number of posts I have just registered. I have a basic setup which seems to have performed well especially in the hands of a novice. My shaving kit so far is a second hand Gillette DE razor (a Tech I think), Wilkinson Sword synthetic shaving brush, Palmolive shaving stick, Astra blades (blue / white pack). I am gradually trying to improve my technique and wondered if I could get advice on improving my kit a bit. I like the look of Edward Jagger's (especially the ivory coloured hand) but know nothing about them or any other DE would like to get another one and open to suggestions. Any advice on a good selection pack of blades to get a good idea of what else is out there. Any ideas for a better brush is it better to continue with synthetic or try natural next. I never really enjoyed shaving until I started wet shaving with a DE razor. Now it's one of the things I look forward to do. Thank you.

Welcome to B&B from a fellow Brit. The Tech is a nice razor that was made over a long period, starting fairly mild in its pre-WW2 incarnations and getting milder, I'd say. Having said that, mild doesn't mean bad; in fact for many people it's ideal, and does force the user to employ good technique to get results. So, get an EJ razor if you like, but you don't need to and might not get a better shave. Perhaps you could persevere with the Tech and maybe look out for a slightly more aggressive vintage Gillette, like an open comb New or Old model. Or, if you fancy really splashing out, get a modern Above The Tie or Rockwell stainless steel razor.
Other blade brands to look it might include Feather, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver SI and Personna Med Prep (although Astras are fine). For soap, the Brit classic is Mitchell's Wool Fat, which beats hell out of Palmolive. My advice would be to buy a puck and put it in an old tin or dish, rather than get the soap in its own container, which adds a lot to the cost for little real benefit. Most of the creams from Taylor of Old Bond Street are excellent and smell good, if that matters to you.
I would get a new brush to go with the better soap. Maybe a Simpson badger in best hair, or one of the Edwin Jagger best brushes which are a bit cheaper. The Edwin Jagger synthetic options also have a good reputation, although I've not used one.

Welcome aboard B&B Al, glad to have you! Two of the biggest pieces you can get starting out, is work on you technique before you worry about all the fancy gear. A $100 brush or razor won't give you a good shave because it's expensive. Only your technique dictates how your shaves go. The second is patience, it will take time to get said technique, so be patient, also try to limit your variables when you are starting out, especially razor and blade, by keeping the denominator common you can get better bearings on why a shave went a certain way.

Hi, welcome to B&B
If you prefer TTO, a Weishi 9306 is a good starter razor and very inexpensive. If you prefer a 3-piece razor, the Acevivi is also a good choice, very reasonably priced too. Both are readily available on eBay and Amazon.
A blade sampler is a good way to see which one is best for you, there are some reasonably priced selections from Russia available on eBay.
I'm a bit biased on brushes because I prefer horsehair, but badger is great if you get a good one. I moved to Mallorca 10 years ago, but from what I remember Boots and Lloyds always used to have some good shaving stuff at a reasonable price.

Welcome aboard!! Agree with OP: technique is the key, so I would start by reading through the wiki and watching some videos.

In answer to your questions (and these are simply my opinions/suggestions as YMMV):
1. For blades: a sampler pack is definitely a good idea.
2. For razors: either vintage or modern is fine (and the EJ89 series is a favorite of mine).
3. For soaps: MWF is outstanding, but it can take awhile to learn to lather. Haslinger's is very similar but easier, so a better option for a beginner IMO.
4. For a brush: again this is up to you and the budget. My preference is natural, generally badger which is more expensive (Simpsons has many options although there are many other excellent companies). Boars are much less expensive but take awhile to break in (you might pick a Semogue or Omega that appeals). Synthetics are also perfectly fine.

I would pick a set-up that looks good and expect that your tastes may well change with time. The main thing is to have fun!

Welcome to B&B. In general, the less you change now, the better. Since you are pleased with the results now, why not stick with just one razor for the time being? This will allow you to really learn how to best use it, as you refine your technique. If you are getting good lather, there is no rush to pick up a new brush. Experimenting with soaps and blades can be fun. If you have a soap maker you like, try different flavors from them. Different scents can be both refreshing and intoxicating. There are countless scents to be sampled.

Blade samplers are definitely a good option. Many people here swear by Astra SPs (Super Platinum), so that is one brand to look for. At the other end of the spectrum are Feathers, another popular brand you may want to keep an eye out for. That said, don't be afraid to try ANYTHING, my personal favorites include lesser known brands. What works for you may be different than what works for others. Blades seem to be very individual. I suggest that when sampling blades, use all five in the pack ("tuck") before moving on. This allows you to best learn the blade's optimal angle, and number of passes required.

Isn't it wonderful that a chore has become a luxurious experience? Enjoy yur shaves, and happy hunting! :001_smile

Thank you all for such a warm welcome. Lots of great advice. I'm happy with the Tech but thought about being a little adventurous, however I think for now I'll listen and hold off. I definitely need a new brush as mine seems to shed a lot and is already looking worse for wear. I really would like to try out a few new blades so along with learning good technique This I think is where I should look. Thanks again for all the great advise and the great welcome.

Welcome to the madhouse Al. :001_smile

I'll recommend nuthin' because we're all different, and what suits one guy down to the ground can be pure hell for the next guy. That said, I do think it's a great idea to browse and read reviews... and if you see something you really like the look of go for it. Whether you'll like it as much when you receive it is another matter. Personally, I've found that when I like the look of something and really WANT it, when I get it it's always a success. Of course, as the saying goes — YMMV.

My current favorite place to browse for stuff (in the UK) is Shave Lounge. Their prices are good, plus they will price match anything you find cheaper elsewhere. They do free UK delivery on everything, and give 5% instant cashback on all purchases (to use on your following purchase, or save up, whichever pleases you). And of course their items with the most reviews are the most popular ones.

Shucks, I am definitely not a salesman. But looking at the above you would think I was. I have no connection to Shave Lounge whatever... barring my frequent detailed questions to them, which they always answer promptly and comprehensively.

Top Bottom