What's new

Newb has a couple questions

Hello all this looks to be a great forum. I have been recently introduced to that "old" style of shaving. I am just looking for input on what a good razor/brush would be to start off with i was looking at vulfix as i heard that was a real good brush for the money was looking at this one http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422201.htm and for a safty razor i was looking at the old school gillete adjustable. Also i am going to use the cream vs the soap if that makes a difference and what kind of razor blades are reccomended? Thnx for your help :biggrin:

jbasl said:
I wrote this for a new wetshavers a week or so ago. You might check it out.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4069

Overall most guys, I think, would suggest starting with a fixed (rather than adjustable) razor and often recommend the c&e best badger brush (35 dollars at crabtree and evelyn).

Best of luck,

John

The Vulfix brushes are fine (it's what I use) but if you are looking for cheap the C&E is probably the way to go. I'm a strong advocate of the Merkur 'HD' Hefty Classic razor. I found it to be extremely easy to use and it gives great shaves.

Hey thnx for the great info. Is more cost effective to order online or trying to find this stuff in a store (wouldnt know where to start lol)?

Most places don't have a store that carries this sort of stuff, so on-line is the only way for most of us. If you live in a large city or some places like Nashville, you might have more luck. But I've had to do it all on-line.

For anyone new to wetshaving, I recommend using a fixed blade DE to start. The Merkur HD seems to get a lot of good reviews; however, I just couldn't justify the cost. I started with a Gillette Tech that I picked up at a local antique store for $4.00. Shaves like a charm.

As for brushes... mine is a cheap-o brush from the Body Shop or local drug store (I can't remember where I got it). It's all synthetic, but I've been using it for about 10yrs. I'll get a better one someday, but for now... it works fine.

- Ken -

Ya i am currently looking at a package that includes both a fixed blade and the adjustable one its a little more money than i want to spend but at least i can get it all in one place....

2006, nice!!!

I hope he's found his starter kit by now. 🤣🤣

zombie thread.jpg

Top Bottom