What's new

New van halen

I just heard the new van halen single. It was awesome. The records with Dave still hold up way better than the Hagar days. Van Hagar was okay, but there wasn't the same chemistry. The other thing is that in books and interviews Hagar never stops talking about what a better musician, singer, performer he is,blah,blah,blah. Yes, they sold more records in those days but those tunes are not classics. Anyway, I caught that single, Tattoo, and was thinking, damn,that sounds like old vh. Sure enough, it was!

There's the youtube link to it. Dave has something that Sammy never could replicate/come close to.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my eyes (or more importantly ears) they miss Big Mike on the bass. His harmonies have always been a big part of the Van Halen sounds for me. Of course it might grow on me, been a fan for as long as I can remember!

Promising. Must hear more.

I am very guarded when it comes to VH appreciation. Fans have been jerked around far too often when it comes to them. And there were some horrible things done under that band name.

I don't like it. I heard it 3 or 4 times yesterday. For any other band in the world, it would be a good song, but it's not VH to me.

I like it. Within 1/2 a second, you know it's VH.

It's a song from a band.

People need to get over themselves. Bands change and evolve. This song sounds like it was written for the late 70's VH, but played by today's Eddie and Alex and Dave, it sounds... different and I dig it.

I just heard the new van halen single. It was awesome. The records with Dave still hold up way better than the Hagar days. Van Hagar was okay, but there wasn't the same chemistry. The other thing is that in books and interviews Hagar never stops talking about what a better musician, singer, performer he is,blah,blah,blah. Yes, they sold more records in those days but those tunes are not classics. Anyway, I caught that single, Tattoo, and was thinking, damn,that sounds like old vh. Sure enough, it was!
It is the "OLD VAN HALEN" those guys have more replacement parts than a retirement home. :001_tt2:

Add me to the list of the disappointed. I heard this song and another and the both are left over demos from '76. I really wanted hard rocking song like Running with the Devil. Right now I'm listening to Chickenfoot III. The new Van Halen has just left me feeling unfulfilled.

I'm a longtime fan as well, and not sold on the single. Van Halen was the first concert I ever went to on my own, and I've seen them three or four times since. I like the song, but I'm not loving it. I'm really interested to hear what they did with "She's the Woman" though.

Calling them "Van Hagar" doesn't really imply a higher level of fandom. After all, it was Eddie who made that decision in the beginning. It's not like Sammy put a gun to anyone's head. As I recall, they sold a couple of records with him as well. 5150 was good, parts of OU812 were good also, and most of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was great. It's one of the most unappreciated records when it comes to heavy and unique use of the wah.

I'm eager to see Dave back, but I'll be seeing them from the lifelong fan's perspective. Hopefully it will be great. :thumbup1:

Happy to see the boys releasing some new stuff. Tattoo isn't great, but as a superfan of VH I'm happy :smile:

With that getup and those dance moves, Dave could pass for the third wild and crazy guy :lol:

You think that outfit's bad...

$1fRV23.Em.156.jpg

That pic is from a gig they played last week in Greenwich Village. Luckily, Dave was able to get to the gig after the matinee of Newsies.

He looks more like the third Mario brother in that outfit. I fully expect him to jump off the stage and collect coins and bounce on peoples heads.

love the fact that van halen is back. song sounds like the v.h. i remember. but,,,, im not impressed with the song over all.
especially the lyrics. kind of cheesy.

Top Bottom