What's new

New User, New Razor, Need Help

I had to re-post this. I put it in the wrong section.

Afternoon everyone,

I just registered after viewing for several weeks. I hadn’t planned on ever needing to post anything but I need a little help. I did my research and selected a razor from a source recommended by others in the forum area. I won’ say who, because I may be in the wrong here but when I opened my package that came in the mail I was to say the least, a little disappointed. I just need to know if the level of quality I had expected is within what is normally available.

This was a new, old stock razor with aftermarket plastic scales. The scales were assembled unevenly with one brass pin and one steel pin. There is still flashing on the cut edge of the plastic and the overall appearance is consistent with plastic that had been lightly roughed up. Some scratches and dings near the pins. (also noted some stress fractures in the plastic immediately surrounding the rear pin). The narrow profile shows that the scales are slightly bowed in the center; I would have thought that they should be straight. The scales are of less importance as I know they can be replaced. I should consider them placeholders until I get new ones.

The blade on first glance appeared to be somewhat less than perfect. The seller had honed the blade prior to shipment, and I would have expected to see honing marks on the thick part of the blade, but should they be uneven across the length of the blade? Heavier on the toe and heel. Also, the cutting edge of the blade appeared to have very small ripples on one side only, with the front profile of the blade looks like it’s curling in that direction. The shaft of the blade nearest the tang where the first pin sits, there are circular scratches surrounding the first pin. I wouldn’t think that a new razor would already have wear marks. Lastly, and most importantly I can see the directional honing marks on the razors’ edge without magnification.

I had read a lot about the pros and cons of “sharpness” testing and concluded that I would try the shave test. I lathered up one cheek with 3 days growth and it hurt right out of the gate. I finished one cheek and didn’t attempt to go any further. It felt as though it was pulling the hair out, and I could not get a close shave.

Any comments would be appreciated. I’m normally not one who complains but I spent a lot for this and feel as though this blade is “re-worked new, old stock”. I can send photos via e-mail, but I won’t post them here as I believe the blade would be easily identifiable and I do not wish to discredit the seller unnecessarily.

GW

I just registered after viewing for several weeks. I hadn’t planned on ever needing to post anything but I need a little help. I did my research and selected a razor from a source recommended by others in the forum area. I won’ say who, because I may be in the wrong here but when I opened my package that came in the mail I was to say the least, a little disappointed. I just need to know if the level of quality I had expected is within what is normally available.

..snip...

Any comments would be appreciated. I’m normally not one who complains but I spent a lot for this and feel as though this blade is “re-worked new, old stock”. I can send photos via e-mail, but I won’t post them here as I believe the blade would be easily identifiable and I do not wish to discredit the seller unnecessarily.

GW
Just some general comments:
1) You should, IMO, try to resolve this first with the seller. You're likely to get more mileage that way. If that absolutely fails, then go for Plan B (TBD).

2) It would really help for you to post some pics. I would find a way to do it that you're comfortable with. A couple of things sound odd (i.e., 'ripples on the edge), but who knows without seeing.

3) Try shaving arm hair first. Face shaving has an element of technique involved that might confound your assessment. Arm shaving is pretty straightforward.

Sounds like you're going about things in a decent way. I'll bet you get things worked out, but I think folks around here can only be of so much help without having fuller picture of what's happening.

Good luck.

Top Bottom