What's new

New to the Scene

Just wanted to say hi to everyone,
I've been a mach 3 user for many years now and have finally been turned on to wet shaving through a bit of research and years of skin irritation.

I'm about to order myself a Merkur HD based on what i've read about it being ideal for beginners.There also seems to be a consensus on the Derby blades but isnt that more of a personal preference?

Anyhow these and many more questions in the future.
Thank you for building this great community,
I look forward to learning more.:cool:

Welcome to B&B Johnnie!

Derby's are perfect to start out with, I went the same path!

You could try some Feathers ore so after a couple of weeks to evaluate the difference and find out what suits you best.

Happy shaving!

Welcome to B&B! The HD is a great razor and remains one of my favorites. Pairing it with Derby blades should give you a nice start. Do you have a shaving brush yet?

Welcome.

I started with the Progress, becuase I wanted to be able to adjust the aggressiveness of the blade. My first few shaves were not as good as what I was used to in cartridge. My shaves did improve rapidly and continue to improve today.

Blades are personnal preference. I'm still on my second brand of blade. Have fun with it, and enjoy.

Welcome to B&B! The HD is a great razor and remains one of my favorites. Pairing it with Derby blades should give you a nice start. Do you have a shaving brush yet?
I have not yet picked up a brush or a razor as of yet but should be meeting with the very friendly Barbarosa tomorrow. I will be back to share my first experience soon after.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.
JW

I bought over priced stuff from AOS, but I like to see the product first on things I am not yet knowledgable. Try antique shops for ols DE razors, and internet resources for cheaper items!

Welcome.

I think everyone here would recommend a sampler package of blades. Most of this shaving stuff is trial and error (sometimes the error is painful!) My personal favorite blades are Astras.

Welcome, good to have you here. Just try whatever interests you and find what works the best for you. You'll find lots of great stuff. :biggrin:

It's more than personal preference when it comes to blades. I tried 7am blades recently, same price as Derby. Yet they just didn't hold up to the overall quality and sharpness. When it comes to blades, it can become an art. So there is a difference. :)

Just wanted to say hi to everyone,
I've been a mach 3 user for many years now and have finally been turned on to wet shaving through a bit of research and years of skin irritation.

I'm about to order myself a Merkur HD based on what i've read about it being ideal for beginners.There also seems to be a consensus on the Derby blades but isnt that more of a personal preference?

Anyhow these and many more questions in the future.
Thank you for building this great community,
I look forward to learning more.:cool:

I applaud your decision!
proxy.php

(But you should buy Muhle R106, of course :tongue:)

Congratulations on making a wise decision!

I started out three weeks ago with a Merkur HD and Derby blades. I have pretty much stuck to Derby blades since starting (i did try a personna and hated it and got my first and only ingrowing hair since starting DE shaving) as to keep as many variables constant while learning the technique.

After you have perfected the routine then feel free to try other blades. Some you will like, some you won't. But that is your call.

Just don't be scared, take it easy and you'll soon figure it out. It isn't rocket science. Enjoy the process and you'll soon be enjoying great shaves.

Top Bottom