What's new

New to DE shaving and have a few questions

Hi everyone! Ive been lurking on this forum for a while and finally decided to start shaving with a DE razor. The one I chose was the Rockwell 6c, and I am currently using plate 2, although i’ve only shaved a few times so far, so I haven’t tried the other settings yet.

I purchased three different soaps- Stirling Almond Creme, Stirling Sheep, and Ariana & Evans Pistachio.

My first shave was with the Stirling Almond and Creme, which turns out I cant use because it burned my face due to some reaction. Next I tried A&E Pistachio which I absolutely loved. The A&E soap felt smooth, lathered very well, smelled amazing, and left my skin feeling very smooth.

I just shaved with the Stirling Sheep, and I think either im doing something wrong, or maybe Stirling just isnt for me. With both of the Stirling soaps, they were hard to lather, and left my skin feeling rubbery when I was washing the soap off. The ‘sheep’ didn’t cause any burning but after shaving my skin felt irritated and itchy, and it didn’t leave my skin smooth like with the A&E soap. It also seemed to get into the holes of my razor and was difficult to wash out.

Im wondering if anyone experienced something similar.

A few other questions I have,

-Do you disassemble your razor after shaving to let it dry?

-Has anyone tried the A&E aftershave balm or splash?

-After shaving should I use the alum bar, and then aftershave or use aftershave before the alum bar?

Thanks!
First, welcome to B&B.

Some people including me can get a chemical burn from the chemical some soap makers use to cause the almond scent. Cella Red uses it. Cella Green does not.

Most of Stirling Soap Co bases contain Lanolin. Stirling has at least one soap that does not contain Lanolin. This soap is Unscented with Beeswax. Switching to Unscented with Beeswax would be an easy way to figure out if you have a problem with Lanolin.

Van Der Hagen products are skin friendly for me at least.

I use soft synthetic brushes.

Alum helps to heal up weapers and leakers. I rinse the alum off, dry the face and then apply the aftershave if I use an aftershave.

I disassemble and clean the razor after each shave.

Use the fixed four method for 3 to 4 weeks. Razor + plate, Blade, Brush and soap. After 3 to 4 weeks change one item. Choose the best combo and this becomes your favorite combo. Repeat the fixed four.

Thayer’s Witch Hazel is good.

I don’t chase BBS any more. As a result my skin is healthier.

Good luck
Cheers

Hi everyone! Ive been lurking on this forum for a while and finally decided to start shaving with a DE razor. The one I chose was the Rockwell 6c, and I am currently using plate 2, although i’ve only shaved a few times so far, so I haven’t tried the other settings yet.

I purchased three different soaps- Stirling Almond Creme, Stirling Sheep, and Ariana & Evans Pistachio.

My first shave was with the Stirling Almond and Creme, which turns out I cant use because it burned my face due to some reaction. Next I tried A&E Pistachio which I absolutely loved. The A&E soap felt smooth, lathered very well, smelled amazing, and left my skin feeling very smooth.

I just shaved with the Stirling Sheep, and I think either im doing something wrong, or maybe Stirling just isnt for me. With both of the Stirling soaps, they were hard to lather, and left my skin feeling rubbery when I was washing the soap off. The ‘sheep’ didn’t cause any burning but after shaving my skin felt irritated and itchy, and it didn’t leave my skin smooth like with the A&E soap. It also seemed to get into the holes of my razor and was difficult to wash out.

Im wondering if anyone experienced something similar.

A few other questions I have,

-Do you disassemble your razor after shaving to let it dry?

-Has anyone tried the A&E aftershave balm or splash?

-After shaving should I use the alum bar, and then aftershave or use aftershave before the alum bar?

Thanks!
Welcome! I think you’ll find this to be a friendly and helpful forum.

I also react to Stirling‘s Almond and Crème. You’re not alone there. Sounds like it’s pretty common. It’s a shame because it smells so good.

Ive never tried Sheep, but I do have several of their scents and I’ve never had any other reactions or lathering problems.

Personally, I find Stirling to be a solid brand. Fun, always something new, good price point, and great service. A&E soaps are next level. Really a great product, and for me, their Ultima is one of the best formulations on the market.

I find A&E’s splashes to be really good too.

Like others have said, I only use alum if I have a cut.

Good luck!

Welcome to B&B!!

Use what you have for at least a couple of months to develop muscle memory and improve on technique. Lots of threads and gentlemen to help you with questions - just fire away.

I disassemble, clean and dry all my razors after each shave. I let them air dry some more and then reassemble them. Same thing for the blade.

I try to avoid alum as much as I can and only use it to close up weepers. Ordinarily I use aftershave and balm.

Enjoy!

Guido

Welcome to B&B! Echoing what everyone else here has said.

Regarding Stirling: The Stirling video linked with Rod showing how to lather is a great tutorial on what to try and achieve. It's a very thirsty soap and you can add way more water than you think. I have fairly hard water here and it lathers without any issue.

I'll respond with what I can. Not a newbie, but right at 6 months. I've not tried those creams. A friend gave me a tube of Proraso Green and I still use it. However, I ordered some new ones and hope to try a new shave soap soon.

As to disassembly, I have a little travel size of dawn detergent with a travel toothbrush. After each shave, I disassemble and scrub the scum and cake up hair off both razor and blade. Then I rinse the soap off.

Next, and this has been the best tip. I have a tupperware tub about the size of a pudding cup (with an airtight lid). I keep this 3/4 full with isopropyl alcohol (90%) . I dip and rotate the parts in the tub. Then i put them on a towel to dry. Then close the tub because of fumes.

This does two things:
1. It dissenfects all parts
2. Alcohol (90%) evaporates in a few seconds - moisture doesn't stand a chance

Top Bottom