What's new

New SW Shield Plus and Ruger Max 9

These are 10;13 rds and with red dot optic (SW)
Or 10;12 w Red Dot optic mounting option (Ruger)

Both look nice. Competition to Sig, Glock and Springfield.

Wonder who will actually sell any of these unicorns.....

Tiger is making some nice pistols. We are currently trying to track down a Ruger American for my wife. She’s handled my son-in-laws and really likes it.

I've seen the Shield Plus in stock at some online dealerships for $499
UPC : 022188885118

Shield 9 Plus is currently in stock at:

Palmetto State Armory
Brownells
Smoky Mountain Guns & Ammo
Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore

Currently the only model available is the non-optic with a thumb safety.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
General question to those who have experience with both, "Is there generally a difference in trigger pull between safety equipped and manual safety-less versions of the same pistol?"

I understand that some people are uneasy with a pistol that does not have a manual safety, but I was wondering if a safety equipped version would have a better trigger pull that a more experienced pistol-toter would appreciate and therefore select the safety model for that reason, rather than a fear of not having a manual safety. I personally am not aware of a pistol that has different trigger characteristics between safety vs. safety-less versions of the same basic model. Anyone have knowledge to the contrary?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
General question to those who have experience with both, "Is there generally a difference in trigger pull between safety equipped and manual safety-less versions of the same pistol?"

I understand that some people are uneasy with a pistol that does not have a manual safety, but I was wondering if a safety equipped version would have a better trigger pull that a more experienced pistol-toter would appreciate and therefore select the safety model for that reason, rather than a fear of not having a manual safety. I personally am not aware of a pistol that has different trigger characteristics between safety vs. safety-less versions of the same basic model. Anyone have knowledge to the contrary?

Since the newer models of Ruger and S&W I think are striker fired, I would think the smaller safeties they put on them are just trigger blocks. So the trigger pulls would be the same for those models with and without? I was watching a Colion Noir video last night of him doing a review on the new Ruger. It had a trigger lever safety on it just like a Glock. It also had a small thumb safety.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I think @OkieStubble is right. My M&P’s have thumb safeties but one of my buddies does not. I have shot both on the same range trip and couldn’t tell a difference.

Interesting.... I just would be interested in one w a red dot mounting option (as I age....this helps a lot).

The previous Ruger and SW ; the safety is not very friendly......, it's more of an annoyance.

One of these has a relatively light trigger, now I don't remember which......

I am going to guess, the SW w optic is the nicest to shoot. A bit longer slide and heavier.

This is like getting a razor...... do I need it? or do I want it? If this was 2019....it would be a no brainer.... probably even with a discount coupon

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The SW is really tempting me. Probably wait or pre-order with no safety. The little nub safeties on the shields are harder to manipulate than the safeties on the non-shield/larger models. Not sure about the optic. Seems like one more thing to break.

The SW is really tempting me. Probably wait or pre-order with no safety. The little nub safeties on the shields are harder to manipulate than the safeties on the non-shield/larger models. Not sure about the optic. Seems like one more thing to break.
but it has sights, too

I have to say that new Ruger got my attention...but honest, I just don't NEED another 9mm polymer, striker fired pistol.
Or any other pistol for that matter....until Colt releases their new generation Diamondback. Uh huh.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Well, I did it. I preordered one of the M&P shield plus performance center models. 4 inch ported barrel and CT red dot. I’ve looked but can’t find any info on when they will actually ship.

Well, I did it. I preordered one of the M&P shield plus performance center models. 4 inch ported barrel and CT red dot. I’ve looked but can’t find any info on when they will actually ship.

Brownells?

proxy.php

Kind of sucks that if you want a Shield Plus with an optic slide cut your only option is the Performance Center model*. Smith & Wesson currently has no plans to offer this option on the short barrel guns....which might tend to send potential customers to Springfield (Hellcat).

* Or send the slide to a vendor that will do the cut for you. Adding an optic to a standard model may or may not affect cycling/timing and you might have to invest in a holster that's cut for the optic (NERD's "SLICC" holster)

I only have a couple of beefs with them.

They used to charge small envelope 1st class USPS for very small parts. They don't do that any more.

Their "free shipping" is slow boat to China where UPS or Fedex handles the parcel 90% of the way then is handed off to USPS. Just send the stuff USPS 1st class and be done with it.

My third and last beef is that I'd like to see the ARFCOM store returned to something resembling what it used to be now that Brownells owns that web forum. The TeeSpring sucks. At least give us back the BFL logo vehicle decals and embroidered patches.

Top Bottom