What's new

New SW Shield Plus and Ruger Max 9

How would you compare the Shield Plus's trigger to your 365?
I might like the Shield Plus a little better just because it has a really solid wall and breaks immediately. You know exactly when it's going to happen. Might be important if you're shooting very slow and deliberate. I like the 365 trigger as well. The wall is a little longer and not as solid but it's still a very good trigger. Both have really quick resets. The Sig gives a bit more feedback when it's ready to go again but I always forget to notice those types of differences when I'm shooting.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I might like the Shield Plus a little better just because it has a really solid wall and breaks immediately. You know exactly when it's going to happen. Might be important if you're shooting very slow and deliberate. I like the 365 trigger as well. The wall is a little longer and not as solid but it's still a very good trigger. Both have really quick resets. The Sig gives a bit more feedback when it's ready to go again but I always forget to notice those types of differences when I'm shooting.

I hear ya, many SD Instructors don’t teach reset with defensive pistols anymore, leaving that to the competition people.

They mostly teach releasing the trigger after the break and shot and then back to the front of the wall anymore.

Not as accurate as a trigger reset but still acceptable accuracy for SD applications and definitely faster then trying to ease back, concentrating to find a reset.

I really like the looks and dimensions of the Plus.

Ruger is $500, looks ok, rattles a lot if you shake it; has optic cut. Trigger is OK, similar to their previous single stack(10/12rds)
The SW w optic cut is expensive; $930....it's a performance center model, 4" barrel, ported, a solid feeling gun.
The sight they sell with this one is horrible, looks/feels/fits like a toy....wasted $ and a cleaning kit...that who really wants. This has a really nice trigger with nice reset.(10/13rds)
Then there is the Glock 48MOS $530 (this has a mediocre trigger.... don't know why but the smaller Glocks have worse triggers).(10rds / 15 avail aftermarket).

Academy sells these 3. I was able to try them; and interestingly if I had to get one....I would with no doubt chose the G48, despite the mediocre trigger for some reason I can shoot it better. 2nd the SW, but it's too expensive...., 3rd, and this is a distant 3rd Ruger. I would rather have a Springfield or Sig than Ruger.... They all work , look nice and work well.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Ruger is $500, looks ok, rattles a lot if you shake it; has optic cut. Trigger is OK, similar to their previous single stack(10/12rds)
The SW w optic cut is expensive; $930....it's a performance center model, 4" barrel, ported, a solid feeling gun.
The sight they sell with this one is horrible, looks/feels/fits like a toy....wasted $ and a cleaning kit...that who really wants. This has a really nice trigger with nice reset.(10/13rds)
Then there is the Glock 48MOS $530 (this has a mediocre trigger.... don't know why but the smaller Glocks have worse triggers).(10rds / 15 avail aftermarket).

Academy sells these 3. I was able to try them; and interestingly if I had to get one....I would with no doubt chose the G48, despite the mediocre trigger for some reason I can shoot it better. 2nd the SW, but it's too expensive...., 3rd, and this is a distant 3rd Ruger. I would rather have a Springfield or Sig than Ruger.... They all work , look nice and work well.

I agree with this logic. For the price, reputation of reliability and ruggedness, the Glock 48 would be my choice. I think there's nothing wrong with desiring better shooting triggers in combat / self defense guns. But I can't see chasing after match grade triggers for a combat pistol.

I like the bit of mush in my Glock triggers. It helps me repeat and find the wall quickly, after the break. In saying this, I have a friend who owns a Glock 48 MOS with a Holosun 507K on top and an Apex trigger and stuffs 15 rounds in Shield Magazines.

He can flat out run & gun with that G48, where it would make Taran Butler proud.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I’ve never understood the UPS “Mail Innovation” system either. I agree, just give it to USPS or ship it all the way with UPS. I hate tracking UPS packages which say they’ll be delivered tomorrow just to realize that tomorrow means they’ll give it to USPS who will deliver it within the next 5 days.
I’ll wait and see how the firearm purchasing process goes. Still wish I had some idea when the pistols were actually going to be in stock for shipping.
Are you in a rural area? There are some places that UPS doesn’t deliver, so USPS has to take over. They keep trying to break USPS, but they can get to far more doors than any of its competitors can.

Are you in a rural area? There are some places that UPS doesn’t deliver, so USPS has to take over. They keep trying to break USPS, but they can get to far more doors than any of its competitors can.
Where I live , we get 2 daily trucks UPS and 2 Fedex...... one USPS.

Fondled a Shield Plus at Palmetto State Armory this morning. Very nice pistol. Grip texture is indeed a halfway between the previous generations. Slight increase in grip width (palm swell) is excellent and the trigger is pretty damn awesome.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Nope, not in a rural area. Right now USPS is a better choice around here for getting things delivered, or brought to your door on time. I live down a driveway shared with 3 other houses. On numerous occasions FedEx and UPS have left multiple packages sitting by our mailbox on the road. The mailbox is not visible from the house so we have no way of knowing if they’re there. USPS will at least bring stuff to our door. Our driveway is paved and there is ample room to turn any size truck around so as far as I can tell it’s just laziness. Amazon also had no issues getting our stuff to us.

Played with both of them this afternoon. Neat little pistols. Both are a bit chunkier and quite a bit larger and longer on the handle than my Kahr CW9. Its not much of a difference, but my Kahr just seems perfectly sized for iwb. It has been flawless since I bought it in 2007. I think that just having 3 more rounds does not make me want to get one of these. If I didn’t have my Kahr, I like both of these new little guys.

Me and a buddy each purchased an Apex Aluminum Enhanced Trigger/Duty-Carry Spring Kit for our respective Gen 1 Shields. Gun shop in the big city. This store must have just gotten them in as they've been OOS for several months. Someone must have entered the price wrong because they were $125 each + tax. Apex price online is $160 + tax and shipping.

Will install them next week.

Played with both of them this afternoon. Neat little pistols. Both are a bit chunkier and quite a bit larger and longer on the handle than my Kahr CW9. Its not much of a difference, but my Kahr just seems perfectly sized for iwb. It has been flawless since I bought it in 2007. I think that just having 3 more rounds does not make me want to get one of these. If I didn’t have my Kahr, I like both of these new little guys.
What about six?

Six more rounds? I can get longer mags with the Kahr as well.... No interest in making the handle any longer. Like I said, the concealment comfort fades the longer the handle gets.
I wouldn't try to talk you out of your Kahr. They are great little guns and don't get the credit they deserve as a quality concealed carry gun. I'm still impressed that Smith-Wesson was able to get 3 more rounds in their flush fitting magazine and 5 more rounds in a magazine that adds less than a half an inch to the overall height of the gun without a complete redesign. I prefer the extra length of the higher capacity magazines. I only use the 12 round magazines for my 365 and the 13 round magazine for my Shield when I carry.

I wouldn't try to talk you out of your Kahr. They are great little guns and don't get the credit they deserve as a quality concealed carry gun. I'm still impressed that Smith-Wesson was able to get 3 more rounds in their flush fitting magazine and 5 more rounds in a magazine that adds less than a half an inch to the overall height of the gun without a complete redesign. I prefer the extra length of the higher capacity magazines. I only use the 12 round magazines for my 365 and the 13 round magazine for my Shield when I carry.
If I were not so in love with my Kahr, I’d be looking at one or another of the guns you mentioned for sure. I do have smaller hands. The only gun I prefer the extended mags in so far is my LCP II and that’s because it still fits in my pocket fine.

All considered, still hard to beat a S&W J-frame .38 for use in the real world.
CD9DBD6F-9928-44B1-80DD-3E3DE98447B0.jpeg
3685C60A-CF80-4AFF-8665-35342E558CE3.jpeg
5904A054-8DCD-4B7D-AF8E-A77C892C08E9.jpeg
7910320E-F28C-4C06-B40B-DD811738960A.jpeg
E54EFD01-5AE6-4D7E-B18C-E979FE4082EE.jpeg
EC11AE87-D01D-4E4B-A12A-31A0DCD4F2F0.jpeg
C869E1AB-E7B8-4E39-8924-79A1CDD477C9.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I cancelled my Pre-order for the Performance center Shield Plus. Brownells was unable to give me any time of estimate on when it might be available. I’m going to look around local and see if I can find one.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I wish! I remember when Academy was a true Army/Navy Surplus store. Unfortunately the closest Academy to me at this time is about 100 miles away and for some reason they won’t tell me over the phone what they have in stock. It’s not worth the drive.

I wish! I remember when Academy was a true Army/Navy Surplus store. Unfortunately the closest Academy to me at this time is about 100 miles away and for some reason they won’t tell me over the phone what they have in stock. It’s not worth the drive.
Online, check if available buy then go do paperwork. They update stock at 9am

Top Bottom