What's new

New stoner. Shaptons on their way. For Pocket knives and fixed blades.

Legion

Staff member
Oh, and if you don’t end up with a sink bridge, and want to hone siting at a table and not get water everywhere, silicon drying mats are gold. Catches water and stops the stone moving an inch.

IMG_6772.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I wish I would have been in to this stuff when my dad was alive. He could sharpen his knife on his whetstone like a surgeons scalpel. He sharpened on a whetstone way back in Vietnam when he was 17 through the end of his life. 50 years or so. No care at all for the angle, or stone he was using. Just all muscle memory and going until it was sharp. I still have his stone but no idea what grit it is and I’m positive it’s completely un-flat
Post a pic of the stone if you like. We can probably tell you what it is and if it is safe to use your Atoma on it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
doubt this is his “Vietnam stone” but I remember him having this my entire life. You can see from the side view it’s like a ramp!

It’s even got that metallic smell to it. And oil or something on it still. *I put my headlamp on to get good lights on it.

IMG_0594.jpeg
IMG_0598.jpeg
IMG_0597.jpeg
IMG_0596.jpeg
IMG_0595.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
doubt this is his “Vietnam stone” but I remember him having this my entire life. You can see from the side view it’s like a ramp!

It’s even got that metallic smell to it. And oil or something on it still. *I put my headlamp on to get good lights on it.

View attachment 1723388View attachment 1723389View attachment 1723390View attachment 1723391View attachment 1723392
Looks like silicon Carbide. Dont use the Atoma on it. The ramp is ok. What you want to avoid is a big dish in the middle. That looks usable, but your new stones are heaps better, and are water stones. Your dads stone uses oil. It actually looks pretty flat, it might just be in the box a little crooked or something.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Looks like silicon Carbide. Dont use the Atoma. The ramp is ok. What you want to avoid is a big dish in the middle. That looks usable, but your new stones are heaps better, and are water stones. Your dads stone uses oil.

You big showoff :thumbup1:

I doubt I’ll ever use it. Just gonna keep it as a heirloom so to speak. I don’t think he sharpened anything more than a Case pocketknife on it. He never carried a fixed blade. Only ever carried something small he can toss in his pocket like this one which is one of his.

IMG_0600.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
You big showoff :thumbup1:

I doubt I’ll ever use it. Just gonna keep it as a heirloom so to speak. I don’t think he sharpened anything more than a Case pocketknife on it. He never carried a fixed blade. Only ever carried something small he can toss in his pocket like this one which is one of his.

View attachment 1723395
If you get into it you will end up hunting all over the house and shed, looking for random things to practice your sharpening on.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you get into it you will end up hunting all over the house and shed, looking for random things to practice your sharpening on.
I watched a video yesterday on sharpening chisels!
I think I’ll start with my dad’s knives. I got about 30 of em.

Just some of them.

Legion

Staff member
I watched a video yesterday on sharpening chisels!
I think I’ll start with my dad’s knives. I got about 30 of em.

Just some of them.

Sure, why not? Some of those are going to be easier than others. Those Imperial Barlows might be a good place to start. They don't look too far gone, and are carbon steel, which in old knives tends to be a bit easier to sharpen. Dont worry about the fine grits, just wail on the 500 stone until you have a good bevel.

Then head to the kitchen and see what you have there.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Sure, why not? Some of those are going to be easier than others. Those Imperial Barlows might be a good place to start. They don't look too far gone, and are carbon steel, which in old knives tends to be a bit easier to sharpen. Dont worry about the fine grits, just wail on the 500 stone until you have a good bevel.

Then head to the kitchen and see what you have there.

Kitchen knives are basically non existent in my house. We don’t have any that are worth sharpening. I mean that. They can be thrown out and replaced and I would be like “did we get new knives? Cool.”
OK, sure….I may grab one to sharpen just for the hell of it. And there is one that was gifted to me by @WarrenB that is definitely worth sharpening but that is absolutely it. Let me tell you…you can literally run this kitchen on steak knifes. Pampered Chef fruit peelers!

Legion

Staff member
Kitchen knives are basically non existent in my house. We don’t have any that are worth sharpening. I mean that. They can be thrown out and replaced and I would be like “did we get new knives? Cool.”
OK, sure….I may grab one to sharpen just for the hell of it. And there is one that was gifted to me by @WarrenB that is definitely worth sharpening but that is absolutely it. Let me tell you…you can literally run this kitchen on steak knifes. Pampered Chef fruit peelers!
I think you have found your next purchase. Get yourself a few decent knives (and then keep them in your room so your family doesn't destroy them when you are not looking).

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I doubt I’ll ever use it. Just gonna keep it as a heirloom so to speak.

As soon as I saw that knife, I clearly pictured it restored, in my mind. I caught myself planning the steps I'd take.

I found my Dad's pocket knife, after he passed, tucked away in his sock drawer. Something about sock drawers seems to be toxic to steel.

It is an early 60's Camillus, butter and molasses scales, 3 blade smaller stock man. I restored it the best I could, and it pretty much looks brand new.

My Dad was a simple, frugal man and most likely thought this knife was too nice to use or carry so he put it away. My brothers and sisters most likely bought it for him when I was really young, he cherished it and stashed it a safe place.

I had to restore it, to show it the wonder Dad had for it when he got it. Now I think it's too nice and will cherish it as long as I can

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think you have found your next purchase. Get yourself a few decent knives (and then keep them in your room so your family doesn't destroy them when you are not looking).

I think you think to highly of my kitchen abilities and likeness. I don’t cook. I’m sure you hear that every now and then from your buddies and they just say that as a joke to appease their wives somehow as the great cookers of the house but i assure you…..I DO NOT COOK. I DO NOT USE KITCHEN KNIVES. I do not have any memory of using a kitchen knife longer than 2-3 inches in the last…IDK…year? Forever? Sure a steak knife is longer than 2-3 inches and i use It for just that..cutting steak. But chopping, dicing, filleting, nope nope nope, I grab the small Pampered Chef knife or the steak knife. I have no Santoku, Nakri, Boning, Felleting, Butcher, or Carving knives

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As soon as I saw that knife, I clearly pictured it restored, in my mind. I caught myself planning the steps I'd take.

I found my Dad's pocket knife, after he passed, tucked away in his sock drawer. Something about sock drawers seems to be toxic to steel.

It is an early 60's Camillus, butter and molasses scales, 3 blade smaller stock man. I restored it the best I could, and it pretty much looks brand new.

My Dad was a simple, frugal man and most likely thought this knife was too nice to use or carry so he put it away. My brothers and sisters most likely bought it for him when I was really young, he cherished it and stashed it a safe place.

I had to restore it, to show it the wonder Dad had for it when he got it. Now I think it's too nice and will cherish it as long as I can
Restored in my mind is razor sharp. That’s it. I wouldn't do anything else to it.

Legion

Staff member

One of the things of my fathers that I found and cleaned up was his Swiss Champ Victorinox. I always thought it was really cool when I was a little kid. I remember him sharpening it doing circles on a little Ark pocket stone for ages.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I DO NOT COOK. I DO NOT USE KITCHEN KNIVES
When you get married Mrs. Toothpick is going to want some quality steel in the kitchen. Best to go ahead and stock up now.
I remember him sharpening it doing circles on a little Ark pocket stone for ages.
My grandfather had a neat knife stroke. He’d do a circle then a pigtail stroke to get the tip of the blade, all in one motion. It was neat to watch

Legion

Staff member
When you get married Mrs. Toothpick is going to want some quality steel in the kitchen. Best to go ahead and stock up now.
And get a few cheaper stainless knives so Mrs Toothpick doesn’t munt your good ones. Trust me…

Top Bottom