What's new

New shaving habits since Covid

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I saw a few threads on B&B that address our hobbies than shaving in particular.

I thought it could be interesting to see how it changed us (hopefully for the best), from a shaving perspective.

In my case. I used to be a morning shaver (like most) and I am now an afternoon shaver, in the shower!

So, why the change? It's the snowball effect.

Since I don't commute to work anymore, I have a good 90-120 minutes extra in my day. I decided to exercise. Like most projects that I do, I read about it quite a bit and tried different things. I had a good chunk of weight to lose that I've been carrying since I was probably a teenager. Nothing worked until now. The summary is, I started using MyFitnessPal, paid attention to what I ate (very closely), and started exercising at home. I started slow and then move the intensity up. Since I exercise after work, I shower after work. If someone is curious, over 12 months, I lost 1/3 of my body weight (around 70 pounds).

I was wet shaving every 2-5 days but recently started shaving in the shower and I'm back on every day. I also realized that I have a lot of gear that will probably outlast me. Showering in the shower melts the soap at a quicker pace. I haven't bought much in the last 4 years.

As long as I don't need to run to the office, I believe that this habit will stay.

So, what changed on your side?

During COVID I always used a DE razor. I went at least 2 years without using a disposable. Now that I go into the office once every couple of weeks, I have been using a disposable the odd time.

There was no rush during COVID to go anywhere, now there is the odd time I am in a rush and using a disposable in the shower for a super fast shave is easier. Not as good a shave, but quick.

Not much effect on my shaves from Covid as I was always socially distanced, in the bathroom by myself. But I think I do appreciate some of my soap and aftershave fragrances more after so much time wearing masks and being able to smell them all day. I think I’m more choosy about the ones I use now, having developed some clear favourite scents during Covid.

I shaved every day during COVID, and did not worry about it. Per my regular routine, I soaked my razor in rubbing alcohol after each shave, and cleaned my brushes with hot soapy water.

I don't recall COVID having any particularly effect on my shaving habits. But I was in the hospital for 6 days with that bleeping virus and didn't shave. So when I got home, the first thing I did was shower and shave with my cartridge razor. And I remember thinking that it didn't do that great a job.
Add to that my retirement around the same time (actually about a year before) and I started thinking, "I'm just not happy anymore paying these prices for mediocrity." But I had used electric shavers before and found them lacking. And I wasn't ready to go Fully Monty into straight razor territory so I began to explore DE shaving.
And, boy, I'm glad I did. It's added a fun and yet practical aspect to my life.

I shave more often in the evening, before bed. It's relaxing.

I tend to use products that don't have real strong and lasting scents. I will often mix stronger aftershaves with unscented aftershave to tone them down.

I cut my own hair now, about every two to three weeks. I've gotten better at it with practice. People tell me it looks fine, so I hope they aren't just being polite.

nothing changed for me beyond less social interaction, hangouts, etc until things stabilized and I primarily maintained a small in-person group bubble for meat space interactions, despite taking the ex to cancer treatments after the peak scares as my greatest exposure risk.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I saw a few threads on B&B that address our hobbies than shaving in particular.

I thought it could be interesting to see how it changed us (hopefully for the best), from a shaving perspective.

In my case. I used to be a morning shaver (like most) and I am now an afternoon shaver, in the shower!

So, why the change? It's the snowball effect.

Since I don't commute to work anymore, I have a good 90-120 minutes extra in my day. I decided to exercise. Like most projects that I do, I read about it quite a bit and tried different things. I had a good chunk of weight to lose that I've been carrying since I was probably a teenager. Nothing worked until now. The summary is, I started using MyFitnessPal, paid attention to what I ate (very closely), and started exercising at home. I started slow and then move the intensity up. Since I exercise after work, I shower after work. If someone is curious, over 12 months, I lost 1/3 of my body weight (around 70 pounds).

I was wet shaving every 2-5 days but recently started shaving in the shower and I'm back on every day. I also realized that I have a lot of gear that will probably outlast me. Showering in the shower melts the soap at a quicker pace. I haven't bought much in the last 4 years.

As long as I don't need to run to the office, I believe that this habit will stay.

So, what changed on your side?
After the first month, I simply quit paying attention to anything COVID, so no; there were no changes to my shaving routine or any others for that matter.

No changes shaving wise, but have been cutting my own hair since April 2020. First few cuts were pretty awful, but eventually got the hang of it. Still doing it because the barber I‘d been seing for the past 30-35 years decided to close up shop. They were hit really hard by the situation.
I cut my own hair now, too. Saved me a fortune. I also make all our bread from scratch, rather than buying bread. I make one loaf every weekend.

My bread is a LOT better than store bought bread, and I know exactly what is in it, too.

Attachments

• 20230312_204827.jpg
    20230312_204827.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
@Luc , I started DE shaving in late 2019 a few months prior to Covid. With all the in-home quarantining we were doing the extra time available during the pandemic likely resulted in my getting into DE shaving to a far greater extent than would have been the case had our normal range of activities been available to us.

Top Bottom