What's new

NEW Santa Maria Novella - Reformulated

I've been using the reformulated SMN Shave Cream (the one with a touch of Toscano scent). Although it shaves very well, and leaves your face well nourished even with the removal of lanolin........... it just doesn't lather as it used to. The lather is rather flat and a tad runny, and low volume no matter how much you pack your brush with. The current Proraso lathers better, but the SMN shaves better.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Interesting! Can you post the ingredients?

Here is from some I bought last year sometime, I do not know if it is original or reformulated.

View attachment 250331

Frankly using mine and the new Proraso Green tub I cannot tell the difference and would not buy the SMN again. It's great stuff, but not worth the upcharge, IMO. This has lanolin, so I assume it is the old stuff?

If it's been changed and is now less impressive, I definitely will stick with the Proraso Green tub. That is fantastic stuff regardless of the economical price, it's just plain good.

Thanks.

I have sampled the new one, but have had "inconclusive" results. The store that gave me the samples gave me two small little sample jars.

The scent is very nice, but I couldn't get a stable, consistent lather. I'm not sure if that is due to having a difficult time loading from the small sample. The lather was very slick, though.

The cream is still very cooling with a bit of the camphorous scent, but now also with a touch of the Tuscan tobacco scent.

Yes, slightly after Proraso did so last spring or summer of 2012.

I think this new formulation was released at the beginning of this year. In mid-February, I stopped in a store here in Dallas and they had received the new cream just a few weeks earlier.

I'm not sure. I didn't buy the cream, yet. The store I went to (Lafco) was sold out but had a sample tub from which they gave me the two sample jars. They called me the other day to let me know they had more in stock, but I haven't gone to buy it. I was told by the salesperson that the lanolin had NOT removed, but the parabens were.

I hope Slickster can show a picture of the ingredient list.

I'm not sure. I didn't buy the cream, yet. The store I went to (Lafco) was sold out but had a sample tub from which they gave me the two sample jars. They called me the other day to let me know they had more in stock, but I haven't gone to buy it. I was told by the salesperson that the lanolin had NOT removed, but the parabens were.

I hope Slickster can show a picture of the ingredient list.

Whew! I can live without parabens in my Crema da Barba, lanolin I cannot. In a panic, I nearly ordered a stack of Mitchells Wool Fat.

$image.jpg
This is the reformulated ingredient list. Notice no lanolin present.

In no way do I deter anybody from trying this; although the lather is not its former glory, I personally feel that is shaves better than the old formula. The lanolin may be gone, but they must have upped the coconut oil or some other oil which would explain the flatter lather. Whatever was done, my face still feels well nourished as it did with the old formula.
Also, with the addition of the Toscano scent, it finally sets it apart from its close cousin Proraso.

Last edited:
I have not tried the new formula yet. How can it be successful? The best attempt at this is probably TFS, but ... sigh ... the lanolin sure made a difference. Here's hoping that the new formula will actually be a winner - I have little hope that it will be the same or as good.

Man. Bummer. I've used the old SMN for almost a year straight - even over my fav tallow favorite soaps.

At least we have Mikes and Tabac. Maybe other players will prove as worthy. I considered the old SMN on par with those two.

Rumor confirmed as fact. I wrote SMN over the weekend. Lanolin out, vegetable oils in.

This is actually worse than when Penhaligons formulated the tallow out.

How is that so? Looking at the ingredients list, there were trace amounts of lanolin at most. Probably better of using a balm that has lanolin rather than a wash off product anyway. All reports of the Penhaligon's indicate that they don't even function.

There is a distinct difference between tallow and/or lanolin soaps and creams and their vegetarian cousins. It is most evident with a straight razor, less so with a DE and virtually indistinguishable with a cartridge.

Penhaligon's and Trumper's soaps were far, far superior prior to their reformulation.

More than that, perhaps someone familiar with soap making will chime in. I'm a shaver, not a home soaper.

Just for the record,
I'm really starting to like the new version.

It's completely different from the old, and it's close cousin Proraso.

Top Bottom