What's new

New saftey razor suggestions

What do you like or dislike about your current razor?
It's my first and only not much to compare to tuff to say what I like about it some times I get good shaves some times not prolly just me though. I bought it from a flea market for all I know the way it holds the blades may be messed up just looking to try something else to compare to . I'm looking at ones with combs on them is there a benefit to comb?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It's a superspeed, of some sort. Can't tell if there's colour in the knob or not, and it really looks like it needs a good cleaning. If you're sometimes getting good shaves, and sometimes not, then the problem is unlikely to be in the tool. As I've spent more than 20 years with a similar superspeed, I can say that if used properly, you can get a good shave out of just about any blade, as long as you have your face lubricated and you aren't trying to hack through two weeks of beard.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Your razor looks like a TTO Gillette 1958 Super Speed.

Bookworm has some smart words here.

Razor with Combs? I Gillette NEW has combs.

Looks like a Flare Tip to me. Give it a good cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and/or Dawn and hot water and/or an ultrasonic cleaner.
Load a blade and look closely to see how it aligns.
Blade Angle and Blade choice will make a big difference in your shaves.
What blades have you tried? www.tryablade.com is a great starting point.

Open comb razors are more aggressive IMHO and limited trials but will give a great smooth shave when properly respected.
Red Tip will be more aggressive.
Fatip will be, too.

Lots of choices... what is your budget or preference for new or used?

For a no fuss, no muss, nice comfortable shave at an affordable price... Grab a vintage Schick Krona (plain doors), in good condition.
Paired up with a sharp, smooth blade and you're ready to rock.

Your razor is a 1958 Super Speed TV Special, a promotional tie-in for Gillette's Cavalcade of Sports television show.

The Schick Krona is a good suggestion for a second razor, especially if you like the Twist To Open style.

Nice TV special! :thumbup1:

Since you already have one Super Speed, I would go with something a little different. If you want a 3 piece tech would be great, so would an OLD, or a NEW. If you want to stay with a TTO a Slim or Fatboy would be great and are adjustable.

If you're looking for a vintage, it's time to explore the adjustables, if you're looking for a modern razor the Merkur 34c is outstanding or the PAA Prismatic.

Wouldn't mind trying new one and blade I use is astra platinum there on some times they cut good other times they feel the pull and tug

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Open comb is not necessarily more aggressive, but it's more effective when you have significant growth. What makes a razor more aggressive is its blade angle. Might not be a bad idea to get an adjustable where you can adjust the blade angles. It'll give you an idea of what you find suits you.

Open comb is not necessarily more aggressive, but it's more effective when you have significant growth.
Yup I bought my son a RazoRock Old Type (with open comb) to get him off the disposables, because he typically goes days or weeks without shaving. He's impressed at how easy it is to rinse the head.
OCs will sail right through "old growth" beards and mustaches without clogging.
Might not be a bad idea to get an adjustable where you can adjust the blade angles. It'll give you an idea of what you find suits you.
+1
Something like a Gillette Slim is a good choice, and they're easy to find at reasonable prices, especially if you don't care about the original case and "collectible value" stuff.

No. The old Gillette open combs were advertised as adjustable...but this was accomplished by slightly loosening the tension on the head so that the blade would spring up a little bit. With the thicker blades in the old days, you could do that and not worry about the head continuing to loosen from the handle on its own. These days, with the thin blades, it's tougher for there to be enough tension to keep the head from spinning freely while you are shaving. I probably could have explained that better, but I hope it makes some sense.

Advert from the Mr. Razor site: http://www.mr-razor.com/Anleitungen/1918 Khaki-Set.jpg

Makes perfect sense. The old blades provided enough tension that friction locked the threads in place. (inertia). The new blades, being thinner, no longer could provide much tension.

Has anyone ever made an adjustable open comb?
I did, kind of. I got my new old Gillette New and did the rubber O ring trick to it. Works for about 5 quarter turns which is probably about a Variant setting of 1.5 - 3.75. However, if you talking about a cross between a Sheraton and Fat Boy, I can't think of any.

Sounds like a razor that could fit a need. Or at least, a rabid desire from weirdos that frequent forums like this :)

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
''You'll feel a lot better after a good bleeding'' - Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber

Salty O'Rourke: That's his joke above.

That joke was pretty good. I reckon I have to say something about this thread.

Get yourself a Gillette Super Speed.

Top Bottom