What's new

New razor, OneBlade Core

I just got an email from the guys at OneBlade about a new razor they just came out with. The OneBlade Core. It is just like the other razor except this one is made from a high grade plastic. Right now it's selling for $50. They say it cuts just like the $400. model.
Interesting....

Have the oneblade and love it, travel a lot for work so was always nervous traveling with such an expensive razor, jumped on the preorder to have a travel razor that the replacement cost won't bother me, looking forward to it

Tempting if there were other companies making blades for it. All the reviews of the Feather FHS10 blades tells me I would be wasting $50.

I noticed on their website, that for both razors [the high-end steel as well as this latest, polymer version] they softened their recommendation on blade usage. If my memory serves me correctly, they once recommended 1 shave per Feather FHS-10 blade. Now they are recommending 1-3 shaves per blade. That seems much more practical and reasonable. From what I've read on forums, users were already stretching their usage beyond the previously recommended one shave per blade anyway. But this recommended blade usage revision is a nice adjustment by OneBlade.

I grabbed some of the carbon steel feather blades to try against the stainless ones for about half the price, I also use modified GEM blades that are really cheap, so far they are my preferred blade

I think the FHS10 blades are very sharp and smooth, the only problem for most guys is they are only good for 1 or 2 shaves. I don't have a heavy beard so I got 5 shaves out of a blade. But I sold the razor.

I got the same email today also. I just love my OneBlade. I use it for about 90% of my shaves.I usually get 3-4 shaves from a Feather blade. I pre-ordered the Core model to use as a travel razor.

The problem with OneBlade is not really the cost of the razor but the blades. At something like $70 per 100, and the blades lasting even 3 shaves, that is $85/yr in blades shaving daily. A typical DE blade costs roughly $14 for 100 and lasts around 5 shaves costing around $10 per year. That is a $75 / year difference in just blade cost. My polished Wolfman with the pricey Darwin handle cost me US$250 delivered new. After 2 yrs and 8 months of daily shaving, one could own a premium Wolfman and begin saving $75 per year instead of having a plastic razor and paying $75 per year more in blades. If one bought a nice $150 SS DE Razor, the $75 per year blade saving would start after only 1 year and 4 months. See the chart below. It seems to me that OneBlade is following somewhat of the Gillette model with the Core option. Give the people a lower price razor and sell them on proprietary expensive blades. If they really wanted to make their razors more accessible to the masses, they would have a design that used standard blade designs like GEMs or DE blades OR negotiate a much lower price for the blades with Feather. In full disclosure, I bought a OneBlade Model 2 a few months ago on sale at Amazon. I bought it because I wanted to try it and I was willing to pay the price. My point is not if one should buy a OneBlade or not. My point is the cost of using this razor regularly weighs heavily on the blade and less on the price of razor. Lowering the price of the razor, will allow more folks to try it, but if cost was the real issue why they didn't buy it, then they will probably not be able to use it regularly because the blades are very expensive. I get that a one time purchase of $400 is harder to justify then $0.70 per blade, but in the end - money is money. I think the Core razor will best serve those wanting to spend only $50 to have a razor in the rotation where you don't plan use it daily but still would like to use it once in awhile for the experience. If your plan is to use it frequently, it will still be a very expensive option.

OneBlade.jpg

If someone really likes the way the razor shaves, and many do, the price of blades is not a big deal since it is spread out over time. Anything can look expensive if you add up the cost over time. It is still a small price to pay for a really great shave if that's what you like.

If someone really likes the way the razor shaves, and many do, the price of blades is not a big deal since it is spread out over time. Anything can look expensive if you add up the cost over time. It is still a small price to pay for a really great shave if that's what you like.
Didn't you say the Colonial General was a far superior shaver?

I ordered mine. I was always hesitant to see how this razor shaves and LOVE the look of it, so at $50 dollars, why not.

My wife will kill me. She is asleep right now. Had to order the plastic version. I have the steel one along with many other razors. At least the plastic one sounds like a bargain if it shaves like the stainless. May God and my wife have mercy on me.

I ordered one this morning, largely because I've got a nice stock of FHS-10 blades, and only one razor that uses them--the Valet Auto Strop. I enjoy the Valet, but have so many razors it doesn't get much airtime. Perhaps now I have a chance of getting through my blades before my days are over...

Are the FHS-10 blades no longer available on Amazon? That's where I got mine.

I ordered one this morning, largely because I've got a nice stock of FHS-10 blades, and only one razor that uses them--the Valet Auto Strop. I enjoy the Valet, but have so many razors it doesn't get much airtime. Perhaps now I have a chance of getting through my blades before my days are over...

Are the FHS-10 blades no longer available on Amazon? That's where I got mine.
I think they are.

I ordered one too. Of course I don't need it, but I'm intrigued to see how well it shaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one too. Of course I don't need it, but I'm intrigued to see how well it shaves.
I felt less guilty about the purchase because I just got rid of all my other razors , except for my SE Colonial razor.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, there were quite a few people who were able to mod GEM blades to work in the full metal OneBlade v1 (maybe v2 as well with nibbling bit off), so that might solve it for some.

Top Bottom