What's new

New - proper introduction

Hey People,

I've posted a few times here and there on the board but never got to introduce myself properly. Just like to tell the story of how my love of wet shaving started...

Back when when I was a young un' I just loved watching my dad go thru his shave routine. This nightly ritual he performed would hold me audience beginning to end. He was prudent with his setup - erasmic shave stick, synthetic brush, steel mug and bic single blade. With just this basic gear he was able to go from 5' clock shadow to BBS! Lets just say he had technique down pat. The mug would be filled with almost boiling water and the brush soaked, shaken a couple of times. The lovely aroma of the erasmic would break out in our bathroom as he first rubbed it 2-3 times on his face then started lathering. As a innocent kid it was cool seeing the creamy lather start to form from the initial shiny substance! He normally opted for 2-3 passes, making me chuckle pulling all sorts of expressions to erase every last bit of stubble. Finished off with warm water then cold and finally splashed on one of Brut, Tabac or Old Spice. Fresh Clean - Hello world I'm ready :biggrin:

My dad would keep the bics well out of my reach, but hey you know how tenacious kids are! Somehow I got hold of a bic and started imitating my dad. I could'nt help but grin acting like an adult going thru the shave. On the 3rd stroke my luck ran out and I cut myself :cursing: Ran downstairs to my mum and got the 3rd degree quickly followed by love + attention!

These memories are big influences on the constant enjoyment I get out of this mandatory ritual - even when I've used crappy plastic disposables, mach 3s, sensors (In my humble opinion the best cartridge razor), quattros (the worst cartridge razor), lynx shave gel and various goos' in a can! I'm obsessed with it - I love it - I cannot get enough of it:drool:

My current setup - Merkur futur
C&E best badger
Shavemac custom pure badger
and too many soaps, creams, blades + aftershaves which I'm sure to divulge in future...

This board has been a pleasure to visit time and again and I look fwd to participating more. Heres to the next shave gents

I got hold of a bic and started imitating my dad... On the 3rd stroke my luck ran out and I cut myself :cursing:

Serves you right for shaving with such a crappy razor!:biggrin:
Just kidding, at least he wasn't a DE or straight shaver :eek:

( The last cunning plan you had was to raise you mothers ceiling by cutting off her head. -Black Adder, to Baldrick)

Nice story and nice introduction. Glad to have you aboard!

Where might the Erasmic be obtained. I have been using QED Shave Sticks. (Mocha Java is very nice). :taz: Charles Sticks are very nice indeed. But, would like to have an alternative.
These are the two I can find online - don't know about shipping costs to the US. If you like a thick creamy moisturising lather with a citrusy crisp grassy scent then prepare to love the erasmic stick/soap!

http://www.westons.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Erasmic_2211.html#aERA13V

http://www.auravita.com/brands/AURA/Erasmic.asp

I did indeed use the Erasmic and enjoyed a very nice shave indeed. :)
Glad to meet another fan of the Erasmic stick. Here in the UK it is getting harder to obtain, I only know of two stores that sell the stick/soap bowl - true shame. Should have stocked up on the lather cream though, I can't find that anywhere and have to order online :(

Everyone's Intro Post should be so well written. Everything I'm doing today, shaving wise, is a reflection of watching my Dad shave in the 50's - early 60's.

great post.

It brought an ear to ear smile to my face.

I used to pretend with my mom's dad's Gillette Knack. There was no blade in it. I, of course, didn't want to slice up my face like you HAHAHA.

I started really shaving at 12 or 13 y/o. my first rig was world cup '94 special edition blue gillette sensor. + gillette foamy + aqua velva AS splash.

ahh, the old times. (I still think the gillette good news disposable slays the sensor, mach 3, quattro, tracer, etc. even though they're all weak compared to my vintage DE's)

great post.

It brought an ear to ear smile to my face.

I used to pretend with my mom's dad's Gillette Knack. There was no blade in it. I, of course, didn't want to slice up my face like you HAHAHA.

I started really shaving at 12 or 13 y/o. my first rig was world cup '94 special edition blue gillette sensor. + gillette foamy + aqua velva AS splash.

ahh, the old times. (I still think the gillette good news disposable slays the sensor, mach 3, quattro, tracer, etc. even though they're all weak compared to my vintage DE's)
Yup I sure was a sucker for punishment back then. Used to go to my friends house to play-fight him + his older brother....Lost most of the time tho lol

I started shaving at 14-15, sometimes dry, othertimes using just water! Of course now its a different story, no rush just pamper ;)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Great post, and welcome. Oddly enough, I ordered a bottle of Tabac yesterday ... I hadn't read your post then, though, but still ...

Top Bottom