What's new

New production S&W 19

Keep us posted on how you like it.

Absolutely. I’m in Arkansas and it’s a wee bit toasty out. I may wait for a nice crisp fall morning with a thermos of coffee and then hit the range. This wiped out my fun $ and I’d like to build some of that back up for 1) a set of VZ G10 faux wood grain grips and 2) a few hundred more rounds of food for the gun. I’ve got a good friend who has a 1980s era 4” Python who is now itching to hit the range with me so it’ll happen!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have had all my firearms apart in pieces on the workbench except my 686. Maybe one of these days I’ll get the courage up to break those polished flushed screws out, but for once I am still taking the advice of “aint broke don’t fix it” lol. Am I however mildly interested in disabling that action lock.

TK Custom makes the plug. If you're feeling adventurous, you can silver-solder it in place. Smooth flush with 200 then 320 wet-dry sandpaper, then rub the whole thing down with the green 3M pad (~320 grit) to get back to factory finish.

...how often should one remove the side plate to clean the guts?...

I'm gonna go with never.

My 4", no-dash, no-lock 686 from way back in th 1980s has been fired and cleaned many times but the side plate has never been removed.

I don't know, but to me that's one of the benefits of a revolver - no need to disassemble or even field strip to clean and oil.

I did remove the side plate on my 442 to replace the springs with a kit from Nighthawk, to reduce the trigger pull.

At the same time I removed the lock, but thought better of it and replaced the lock. I carry the 442 often, and if I ever NEED to use it, I don't want a prosecutor telling a jury that I made the pistol "unsafe" or "more lethal".

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
TK Custom makes the plug. If you're feeling adventurous, you can silver-solder it in place. Smooth flush with 200 then 320 wet-dry sandpaper, then rub the whole thing down with the green 3M pad (~320 grit) to get back to factory finish.

Hmmm. Didn’t even know that was thing. Thanks!

Its a great gun for sure, I just think the 19 looks better and since the redesign, there’s is no reason to get anything else.imho

Top Bottom