What's new

S&W Model 10. Victory Model, indeed.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Had a visit from a family member last week. He brought something in a Walmart bag and put it on my kitchen counter.

"Thought you might want this," was all he said.

His dad, a WWII veteran who saw combat in Europe, was a man I greatly admired and respected. As a child and young man I literally sat at his feet to hear the stories he would tell about Operation Torch, North Africa and Sicily. We lost this tough old bird at age 90-something, going on a decade ago now.

After coffee and a talk - we hadn't visited in a while - he told me to open the bag, and I was delighted to find a Smith & Wesson Model 10-5. (Serial traces to end of 10-5's 1962-1977 range).

The S&W Mod. 10 needs no introduction to this forum. Six million were made, and it's likely you own one!

full

This one is (believed to be) unfired. More on that in a bit.

full

Unfortunately, it was stored for decades in a zipper case, and some surface rust got to it. I carefully removed with brass brush, which didn't damage the luxuriously deep blue. Or the case-hardened hammer and trigger. The next day I touched up with Brownell's Oxpho blue. There is a little pitting, but. It is believed to have never been fired!

full

Family story goes: The WWII vet, a family man, was also a business man. At some point his life was threatened by a tough guy. He was unperturbed.

"Any time, any place," was his calm response to the death threat. He had seen a thing or two overseas. But he did buy a pistol; a S&W Model 10-5.

Which alarmed his wife. Who then hid it and would never tell him where she hid it!

The men settled the disagreement peacefully. Was the gun in the attic? Garage? I don't know.

But it turned up when the house was cleaned out recently ... and the family thought of me.

Now I already have a K-frame, Model 65, bull-barrel 4" in stainless. Bought it in 1978, so, K-frame feels pretty familiar to me.

The trigger on this one is amazingly light! The DA pull is so, so good. And case-hardening is so classy, and my stainless does not have.

But the pencil-thin 4" barrel on this is so elegant; it practically is the S&W Victory Model of WWII - worn by so many Navy and Marine pilots!

Only difference is the Parkerize and half-moon sight (Victory model below)

full

So, yeah. Gotta get the M3 holster rig for this ...

full

So. Time has passed on to me another family heirloom - you might recall I got a Colt Police Positive Special under similar circumstances.

The WWII vet won his dispute without fighting, Sun Tzu-style. That's a true Victory Model, then.

Now I've got two .38s I'll never sell ...

All right. Let's see your Model 10s! Because you already have pictures of them!

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Congrats on the awesome heirloom!

Many thanks! It was the choice of (one of) history's famous trick-shooters, you know.*

Free K-frame? That's a great day, right there!

I believe it's unfired from examination of the top strap - no trace of gas cutting - to the cylinder faces - which are still blued!

Bore, like a mirror.

AA

*McGivern was capable of many amazing shooting feats, most of them well documented in his book.[3] To name just a few:
  • He could break six simultaneously hand-thrown clay pigeons (standard trap targets) in the air before they hit the ground.[5]
  • He could hit a tin can hand-thrown 20 ft in the air five times before it hit the ground.[6]
  • He could drive a tack or nail into wood by shooting it.[5]
  • He could shoot the spots out of playing cards at 18 feet, or even split a playing card edge on.[5][7]
  • He could shoot a dime on the fly.[5]
All of these executed with either hand using a factory Smith & Wesson Model 10 double-action revolver (purportedly his favorite handgun).[4]

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have the book!

I figured you did!

I did not know Ed used Model 10s, though. He had to have worn them out, internally!

To me, I see this as the 1911's little brother; the "other WWII pistol." With the M3 shoulder rig, you could climb in and out of an aircraft easier ... I bet most rookies can shoot Model 10 better than a 1911. It would have had less recoil and better sights.

I picture our U.S. Naval Aviators at the Battle of Midway; life vest, helmet, Victory Model in shoulder holster ... proud, brave and confident. The cartridge loops would have held .38 Special tracer ammo, in some cases.

AA

Had a visit from a family member last week. He brought something in a Walmart bag and put it on my kitchen counter.

"Thought you might want this," was all he said.

His dad, a WWII veteran who saw combat in Europe, was a man I greatly admired and respected. As a child and young man I literally sat at his feet to hear the stories he would tell about Operation Torch, North Africa and Sicily. We lost this tough old bird at age 90-something, going on a decade ago now.

After coffee and a talk - we hadn't visited in a while - he told me to open the bag, and I was delighted to find a Smith & Wesson Model 10-5. (Serial traces to end of 10-5's 1962-1977 range).

The S&W Mod. 10 needs no introduction to this forum. Six million were made, and it's likely you own one!

full

This one is (believed to be) unfired. More on that in a bit.

full

Unfortunately, it was stored for decades in a zipper case, and some surface rust got to it. I carefully removed with brass brush, which didn't damage the luxuriously deep blue. Or the case-hardened hammer and trigger. The next day I touched up with Brownell's Oxpho blue. There is a little pitting, but. It is believed to have never been fired!

full

Family story goes: The WWII vet, a family man, was also a business man. At some point his life was threatened by a tough guy. He was unperturbed.

"Any time, any place," was his calm response to the death threat. He had seen a thing or two overseas. But he did buy a pistol; a S&W Model 10-5.

Which alarmed his wife. Who then hid it and would never tell him where she hid it!

The men settled the disagreement peacefully. Was the gun in the attic? Garage? I don't know.

But it turned up when the house was cleaned out recently ... and the family thought of me.

Now I already have a K-frame, Model 65, bull-barrel 4" in stainless. Bought it in 1978, so, K-frame feels pretty familiar to me.

The trigger on this one is amazingly light! The DA pull is so, so good. And case-hardening is so classy, and my stainless does not have.

But the pencil-thin 4" barrel on this is so elegant; it practically is the S&W Victory Model of WWII - worn by so many Navy and Marine pilots!

Only difference is the Parkerize and half-moon sight (Victory model below)

full

So, yeah. Gotta get the M3 holster rig for this ...

full

So. Time has passed on to me another family heirloom - you might recall I got a Colt Police Positive Special under similar circumstances.

The WWII vet won his dispute without fighting, Sun Tzu-style. That's a true Victory Model, then.

Now I've got two .38s I'll never sell ...

All right. Let's see your Model 10s! Because you already have pictures of them!

AA

Wow. That’s a nice looking revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow. That’s a nice looking revolver.

Thanks, Scott.

Live rust gave it some uglies; I tried to fix.

To think they were, what $110? And then; when police all went to the Wondernines, used ones were cheap yet again.

USAF kept some of them until Desert Storm. Solid hardware.

AA

Thanks, Scott.

Live rust gave it some uglies; I tried to fix.

To think they were, what $110? And then; when police all went to the Wondernines, used ones were cheap yet again.

USAF kept some of them until Desert Storm. Solid hardware.

AA

I have a 28-2 and 29-3. The later I purchased to go wild hawg hunting with my cousin. The hunt never materialized, but it’s a nice revolver. They both are.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I love S&W revolvers. They know how to do them right.

Though Colts have so much style! Must agree, the more robust S&W mechanism carries the day. For me!

I've got a worn Colt in the shop now; not looking good.

Had a worn hand/bolt on another K-frame, was fixed in a week.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One last nudge of this thread for the holster choice, which came the other day.

World War II-style M3 shoulder holster, of course. I already have the less-popular M7 tanker rig, but it's really for 1911/autos.

full

Choice was El Paso Saddlery's version ($130) or Pacific Canvas & Leather ($25-50). In all things I would have chosen to buy American, but. The EPS version isn't cut right for the Victory Model/Model 10; trigger guard area is square not curved. Also the cartridge loops are an accessory/option driving it even higher.

On the other hand, reviews for the Chinese Pac-Can were uniformly good. Since finances are tight ... job thing ... yeah ... pleased to report the Pac-Can M3 is actually well-sewn, well-finished and wasn't dried out by storage in any way. As reviewed, it was a little tight so we soaked the holster in Ballistol and rammed a K-frame in there for a few days. It's stretched perfectly.

This rig is more versatile than you think. Can be worn pilot-style on left /lower chest or swung around to the back, baldric-style.

Really happy with this piece of gear.

Hopefully, get to shoot it this week with some Keith-style SWC reloads.

AA

Last edited:
Top Bottom