What's new

Christmas Colt: Police Positive Special

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Police, too, confronted danger - successfully - with this gun for decades. In my opinion, they, too, were well armed.

Comments are welcome:
Colts, Police Positive, Pinaud Eau de Portugal, that cool new Goodwill razor with the black ED handle …

AA

Great thread and story Mike, thanks for posting this. Great range pics, You are a shooter! :)

When I was very young and coming up thru the Collegiate Officers Program, I was doing an internship at one of our smaller Oklahoma PD's, learning their system, paperwork and the everyday operations and going on's of a police department.

They had a janitor I met and hung out with while I was there, who was pretty old, in his early 90's I think, but really got around great for his age. Anyhoo, While he wasn't the very first one, he was one of, the very first African Americans to work and serve on the NYPD.

I found the stories he would tell me fascinating, as we sat around everyday for 8 weeks and ate lunch together. His stories made me realize as a young black man myself, it was a very different time back then. He would set the picture and frame work of the times in my mind and help me visualize how different police work was back then.

Picture in your mind, one of the first black New York police officers, walking a beat, at night, in the Bronx, sweltering heat and humidity, his uniform comprising of a long trench like wool coat, in the summer no less.. The pistol he carried, is the exact pistol you showed me. However, there was a shortage of leather holsters in the department, so being a young black rookie, he carried that pistol tucked in his belt under that wool coat.

He told many stories over the weeks, of chasing bad guys literally for blocks and blocks on top of the black tarred rooftops, jumping roof to roof. As you can imagine in New York, the buildings were crammed packed together, in very close proximity to each other. There could be a million people living in just a couple block radius of each other.

They didn't have radios back then, so he told me when he arrested someone and they resisted? He would have to keep them in a headlock with one arm, while dragging them a block to the telephone pole so he could call for help and the paddy wagon.

He said there wasn't air conditioning back then, so people, by the thousands, would sit out on their porch stoops in the row houses and buildings all hours of the night and early mornings. Public Relations, wasn't just something a flat foot cop working a beat did back then, it was totally necessary for their survival to build a repore with all these people, as they would help him in a fight and take bad guys into custody, quite often.

He would tell me stories of how the times were then, of how if he was off work and not in uniform, out shopping with his family,how he would get called racist names, and stares and jeers, but then when he was in uniform, those exact same people, would call him "sir" and "officer" and would do whatever he asked them to assist him with.

as a young, law enforcement hopeful, it really brought the lesson of the dualities of life into focus. Out of uniform, some people only saw the color of his skin, but while in uniform, those same exact people only saw his uniform and respected it; and his position; and his authority. Amazing to think about these days, when the uniform itself, gets so much disrespect.

Anyhoo, didn't mean to go wall of text on ya, just wanted to let you know, I was in my early 20's then carrying a Glock, in the 90's and this ancient old janitor in his 90's, still had that very gun you showed on his hip. :)

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great thread and story Mike, thanks for posting this. Great range pics, You are a shooter! :)

When I was very young and coming up thru the Collegiate Officers Program, I was doing an internship at one of our smaller Oklahoma PD's, learning their system, paperwork and the everyday operations and going on's of a police department.

They had a janitor I met and hung out with while I was there, who was pretty old, in his early 90's I think, but really got around great for his age. Anyhoo, While he wasn't the very first one, he was one of, the very first African Americans to work and serve on the NYPD.

I found the stories he would tell me fascinating, as we sat around everyday for 8 weeks and ate lunch together. His stories made me realize as a young black man myself, it was a very different time back then. He would set the picture and frame work of the times in my mind and help me visualize how different police work was back then.

Picture in your mind, one of the first black New York police officers, walking a beat, at night, in the Bronx, sweltering heat and humidity, his uniform comprising of a long trench like wool coat, in the summer no less.. The pistol he carried, is the exact pistol you showed me. However, there was a shortage of leather holsters in the department, so being a young black rookie, he carried that pistol tucked in his belt under that wool coat.

He told many stories over the weeks, of chasing bad guys literally for blocks and blocks on top of the black tarred rooftops as you can imagine in New York, the buildings were crammed packed together, in very close proximity to each other. There could be a million people living in just a couple block radius of each other.

He said there wasn't air conditioning back then, so people, by the thousands, would sit out on their porch stops in the row houses and buildings all hours of the night and early mornings. Public Relations, wasn't just something a flat foot cop did back then, it was totally necessary for their survival to build a repore with all these people, as they would help him in a fight and take bad guys into custody, quite often.

He would tell me stories of how the times were then, of how if he was off work and not in uniform, out shopping with his family,how he would get called racist names, and stares and jeers, but then when he was in uniform, those exact same people, would call him "sir" and "officer" and would do whatever he asked them to assist him with.

as a young, law enforcement hopeful, it really brought the lesson of the dualities of life into focus. Out of uniform, some people only saw the color of his skin, but while in uniform, those same exact people only saw his uniform. Amazing to think about these days, when the uniform itself, gets so much disrespect.

Anyhoo, didn't mean to go wall of text on ya, just wanted to let you know, I was in my early 20's then carrying a Glock, in the 90's and this ancient old janitor in his 90's, still had that very gun you showed on his hip. :)

Okie, thank YOU. In fact, I made that thread for you and any other LEOs in the forum.

As an '03 Springfield is to a Marine, is the Colt Police Positive to law officers, in my opinion. There is soul, and history in it.

Enjoyed your contribution to the thread very much. By sharing that man's experience, greater understanding is spread. Guns change but the job doesn't...

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What a gorgeous Colt, A.A. ... well done!
Did you happen to lift the sideplate?
I picked up a .32-20 Army Special & this is how she looked after nearly 90-years under wraps.

That's what the inside of Dad's old Ortgies .32 looked like when I took it apart after I got it. Dried, gummy gun oil. Came right off. Seen that many times...sometimes even on the inside of my L frame if I haven't taken it down in awhile. Ooops.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Okie, thank YOU. In fact, I made that thread for you and any other LEOs in the forum.

AA

I really, really want one. Last gun show I went to here there were several on the tables. As I know you are fully aware of, Colt dominated the LE market for a long, long time. But that was way before my time. When I started S&W .357 was King.

When I was a kid my best buddy's Dad was a Reserve and he had a Police Positive Special with the Gutta Percha stocks. One time we put a tin can up at about 25 yards and I pulled the DA trigger through the cycle, and that was before I had been trained on one, and I hit it the first shot. He has passed since then...I wonder what happened to the old Colt.

His stocks looked like this:

proxy.php

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I really, really want one. Last gun show I went to here there were several on the tables. As I know you are fully aware of, Colt dominated the LE market for a long, long time. But that was way before my time. When I started S&W .357 was King.

When I was a kid my best buddy's Dad was a Reserve and he had a Police Positive Special with the Gutta Percha stocks. One time we put a tin can up at about 25 yards and I pulled the DA trigger through the cycle, and that was before I had been trained on one, and I hit it the first shot. He has passed since then...I wonder what happened to the old Colt.

proxy.php
It's really significant just how much Colt did dominate the US Police market for a long, long time. The Colt Detective Special based on the "D" frame Police Positive and Police Positive Special were actually downsized Carry driven Police designs. The older Colt Army Special morphed into the Colt Official Police and was the larger heavier handgun.

From around 1908 Colt well into the 1950s a Colt revolver was the standard sidearm of US Police Departments from coast to coast. The Detective Special was introduced back in 1927 while the Smith Chief's Special didn't show up until 1950.

Smith had the large frame 38/44 and 1917 models that became the "N" frame while Colt had the large New Service sized revolvers.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"

proxy.php
That’s a fine looking Colt, Simon & yessir, they were (are!) accurate pieces. Colt used those gutta percha grips up until to 1924, at which point they transitioned to walnut w/medallions. It’s said that no two pair of gutta percha grips are exactly the same, as each set was fitted (ground, sanded, etc...) while attached to its particular, pre-blued/finished revolver frame.
Snapped this shot after reassembling my sideplate...

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It's really significant just how much Colt did dominate the US Police market for a long, long time. The Colt Detective Special based on the "D" frame Police Positive and Police Positive Special were actually downsized Carry driven Police designs. The older Colt Army Special morphed into the Colt Official Police and was the larger heavier handgun.

From around 1908 Colt well into the 1950s a Colt revolver was the standard sidearm of US Police Departments from coast to coast. The Detective Special was introduced back in 1927 while the Smith Chief's Special didn't show up until 1950.

Smith had the large frame 38/44 and 1917 models that became the "N" frame while Colt had the large New Service sized revolvers.

I'd kinda like a Fitz Special, of which one model was the Police Positive Special and the precursor to the Dick Special, but that would cost more than my house. I wouldn't carry one though, it would be a safe queen.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That’s a fine looking Colt, Simon & yessir, they were (are!) accurate pieces. Colt used those gutta percha grips up until to 1924, at which point they transitioned to walnut w/medallions. It’s said that no two pair of gutta percha grips are exactly the same, as each set was fitted (ground, sanded, etc...) while attached to its particular, pre-blued/finished revolver frame.
Snapped this shot after reassembling my sideplate...

Oh that looks pristine.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
@Ad Astra Hey Mike, have you checked the lock-up on that little gem yet? I'm sure you know how, but for those that don't:

Pull back the hammer single action (on an empty gun of course), or double action if you want to but keep the trigger pulled back, then pull the trigger while letting the hammer down with your thumb and keeping the trigger pulled back to get it to the "moment of fire." Then try to move the cylinder rotation wise or side to side.

I bet that thing has the classic Colt "bank vault" lock-up and won't move a smidgen.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Ad Astra Hey Mike, have you checked the lock-up on that little gem yet? I'm sure you know how, but for those that don't:

Pull back the hammer single action (on an empty gun of course), or double action if you want to but keep the trigger pulled back, then pull the trigger while letting the hammer down with your thumb and keeping the trigger pulled back to get it to the "moment of fire." Then try to move the cylinder rotation wise or side to side.

I bet that thing has the classic Colt "bank vault" lock-up and won't move a smidgen.

Yup, and yup - no movement. It's seen little use, and 1961-made is really pretty new, despite it being an old style model.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, and yup - no movement. It's seen little use, and 1961-made is really pretty new, despite it being an old style model.

AA

I like the old style with the exposed ejector rods...even though they say the newer and better shrouded ones are better. Yes, the shrouded ones protect the rod better, but I also like the pencil barrel of the old Model 10s as opposed to the bull barrels. But the bull barrels do point better.

And I bet that as little as that one has been shot there is absolutely zero endshake in the cylinder and no flame cutting on the top strap or any forcing cone wear.

Looks like you got one heck of a keeper there. How many times can I say classic, classic, classic, classic.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and sorry to be a bother with multiple posts but I really like that PPS.

How was the leading in the barrel? From your targets it looks like it wasn't bad. My little Cobra I got a few years ago had leading so bad it was wildly inaccurate. I had to finally use a Lewis Lead Remover with some JB bore compound on it to get it working well. After that, from 7 yards, the first shot not only went in the X ring...it took out the X.

I've been thinking, since I'm getting retirement in a bit, about taking a gunsmith course at a good school. With my machinist background from a few decades ago I think I may be able to handle it.

If you ever need any work done on the Colt that's out of your pay grade, which happens to me from time to time, Frank knows Colt revolvers inside and out. Super nice guy.

A good gunsmith, as opposed to the ones that just use drop-in parts on the combat tupperware :) and call themselves an armorer, is getting to be a lost art.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Oh, and sorry to be a bother with multiple posts but I really like that PPS.

How was the leading in the barrel? From your targets it looks like it wasn't bad. My little Cobra I got a few years ago had leading so bad it was wildly inaccurate. I had to finally use a Lewis Lead Remover with some JB bore compound on it to get it working well. After that, from 7 yards, the first shot not only went in the X ring...it took out the X.

I've been thinking, since I'm getting retirement in a bit, about taking a gunsmith course at a good school. With my machinist background from a few decades ago I think I may be able to handle it.

If you ever need any work done on the Colt that's out of your pay grade, which happens to me from time to time, Frank knows Colt revolvers inside and out. Super nice guy.

A good gunsmith, as opposed to the ones that just use drop-in parts on the combat tupperware :) and call themselves an armorer, is getting to be a lost art.

Thanks for the Colt info!

It's suspiciously clean... Even the cylinder tops' bluing. Almost unfired looking.

I will say, the WWB 130-grainers I ran through it are dirty ammo ... that took some cleaning. I use Chore Boy copper pad pieces for removing soft lead from forcing cones. Though I do have some JB...

I do have a local revolvermaster who is an awesome old guy. While I was talking to him one day, a walk-in needed work on a polymer pistol, and he declined the job!

I plan to carry it with +P ammo, and that makes for interesting reading. Colt says, for steel D-frames, can do, but check every 2-3,000 rounds (which will never happen here). Others say today's +P ammo equals the regular ammo of yesteryear ... SAAMI lowered the pressure values in 1972. Think I'll shoot six of them and simply note POI.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looks like you got one heck of a keeper there. How many times can I say classic, classic, classic, classic.

The odd thing is that the PPS fills a niche for me perfectly: kit gun. I hike a lot, and weight matters ... Carrying a small auto might work for SD, but many situations can arise in the woods. Had been carrying SP101 with one red CCI shot cartridge... The PPS probably weighs less, carries one more round, and has twice the barrel length!

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Thanks for the Colt info!

It's suspiciously clean... Even the cylinder tops' bluing. Almost unfired looking.

I will say, the WWB 130-grainers I ran through it are dirty ammo ... that took some cleaning. I use Chore Boy copper pad pieces for removing soft lead from forcing cones. Though I do have some JB...

I do have a local revolvermaster who is an awesome old guy. While I was talking to him one day, a walk-in needed work on a polymer pistol, and he declined the job!

I plan to carry it with +P ammo, and that makes for interesting reading. Colt says, for steel D-frames, can do, but check every 2-3,000 rounds (which will never happen here). Others say today's +P ammo equals the regular ammo of yesteryear ... SAAMI lowered the pressure values in 1972. Think I'll shoot six of them and simply note POI.

AA
Long long ago in a land far far away, Colt announced that its Police Positive Special and Official Police would handle the S&W 38/44 cartridge. Them what remember the 38/44 Smith firearms were "N" frame models take note. It was and still is what was once called a HotRod. And still available, fits in 38 Special cylinders and in small doses in high quality frames worth considering. The all lead HPs and wadcutters in particular deserve mention.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Ad Astra , Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time! What a crying shame if that fine old pistol had been disposed of otherwise! Great thread and thanks to all the contributors to this thread. @OkieStubble , thanks to your insightful post as well!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Ad Astra , Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time! What a crying shame if that fine old pistol had been disposed of otherwise! Great thread and thanks to all the contributors to this thread. @OkieStubble , thanks to your insightful post as well!

This, +2!

There are some knowledgeable Colt-lovers here, for sure.

AA

It was good to see family at Christmas, people I haven't seen in a year.

We had traditional food, drinks and good times. I wish I could get away and see these people more, but my job is like "holding a wolf by the ears," to borrow an analogy. I can't even take vacation time I have on the books. Anyways.

Sadly, an elderly family member took a real turn for the worst this year. Dementia and some other complications. Once a very active man, he's, well. No longer mobile and has a poor prognosis.

I was talking to his wife, herself elderly. I helped her with "honeydo" type things around the house, and something odd came up.

"I have to get rid of a gun," she said. "I don't want it in the house. I'll take it to the police and drop it off."

"I can help," I said. I took home a Walmart bag with a pistol and holster.

What do you suppose it was?

full

A classic Colt Police Positive Special, that's what! Though it looks old (to me), they were made for a long time, from the 30s to the 70s. This one dates to 1961, so. Really not old at all, though the lack of ejector shroud makes it seem so.

These were "the policeman's gun," the pistol that every cop on the beat carried in the day; make that, the day before the Wondernines.

What struck me instantly was it's so small. It is the Colt D-frame, which is the same as used on Detective Special, etc. Those larger-than-life, back-in-the-day 1940s-50s-60s cops had to have carried a huge gun. I'm picturing the 1917 .45 S&W, just a large frame revolver - but not so.

The Police Positive Special is essential a snubbie with a 4" barrel … which makes it an ideal "kit gun," to me. It fits in my 2" revolver holsters and gives the hiker (me) a better sight radius and a little more velocity. I will carry it and use it.

full

Now. This one was shot very little, that I can tell. Which fits in with what I know about my elderly family member; he really wasn't a gun guy. But he apparently chose this for protection, and it was a good choice.

This specimen, unfortunately, was stored in a leather holster for decades … I am guessing. There was rust speckle, a couple spots under the grips, one side of the hammer, and some deep pitting on the front/left of the barrel. I've killed all the active rust, and am trying to touch up the Colt Royal Blue, one of the nicest finishes on Earth. Don't be too critical; I'll match it eventually. I just wanted to get some blue on it.

full

Naturally, I had to shoot it! So I ran a hundred rounds through yesterday.

full

Lockwork timing was fine, could see no reason not to. Trigger return spring hung on first shot or two, then worked normally. All that Ballistol must be creeping in.

full

It shoots great. The pinwheel was a first shot, which made me howl. Pulled two others, though.

So now I have a family heirloom, which makes me ponder. I hope I don't go to any funerals this year, but I might.

This man never fired this gun in anger, but it did serve to keep his family safe for decades. I am sure it provided peace of mind when things went bump in the night.

Police, too, confronted danger - successfully - with this gun for decades. In my opinion, they, too, were well armed.

Comments are welcome: Colts, Police Positive, Pinaud Eau de Portugal, that cool new Goodwill razor with the black ED handle …

AA

A classic. The speed loader brings back memories. I used to carry one back in the mid 70's. How time flies.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A classic. The speed loader brings back memories. I used to carry one back in the mid 70's. How time flies.

They do work, but the speed strips are flatter and are more easily kept on your person.

The speed loaders worked great at the range, though they are meant to fit a K-frame Smith.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
They do work, but the speed strips are flatter and are more easily kept on your person.

The speed loaders worked great at the range, though they are meant to fit a K-frame Smith.

AA
Look for the HKS DS series speed loaders. They are based on the Police Positive and Detective Special.

Top Bottom