What's new

New production Gillette Platinum?

I recently purchased what I thought they were NOS dark blue box Gillette Platinum. They arrived in my mailbox yesterday and to my surprise they appear to be current production.

For one, they are not double wrapped like the older dark blue platinum blades. Also, they have two wax dots in the center, like other current production PPG blades, and not four wax dots like the older blades.

For me, the older dark blue Gillette Platinum were always sharp but smooth shaving blades. I'll have a shave with the new ones today and post my thoughts later.

Here is what they look like.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I wondered about that. After not seeing them for quite some time I've seen some being offered. I wondered if someone was just unloading old ones, or whether they are making them again.

I suspect that St. Pete just cranks out a batch of something, then turns to making something else. A year or two later they go back to the first item. For instance, when I first bought Silver Blues two years ago they were nearly impossible to find. Now they are everywhere. On the other hand these Platinums were readily available then, but have since disappeared. Now they are reappearing. Same with Iridiums. They were disappearing a couple years ago, but are now readily available again under the Polsilver brand name.

I had a wonderful shave with these blades today. They are as sharp and smooth as the older double wrapped four wax dot version.

I only got one pack a couple years ago when I was trying out a lot of blades. Liked, them but was still trying other blades and by the time I figured out they were better than a lot of the ones I'd been using they were't available any more.

I think there is a big difference between the two blades. For me, Platinum's are much smoother than Silver Blue. I've found Silver Blue's are very sharp but rough on my face. As always with blades, YMMV.

Last edited:
Nice pics, good lighting. Brochure style lol

I think these are the ones (along with Merkur DE blades and the various carts) that my local AoS is selling.

How do they compare to the Czech or Russian made blue box Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum? So many Gillette blades to sort thru.

$gillette_super_platinum.jpg

I like the quality of those pictures in the first post. With what camera did you take them, Xillion?

How do they compare to the Czech or Russian made blue box Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum? So many Gillette blades to sort thru.

The Czech 7 O'Clock Super Platinum are one of my top blades. The Russian 7 O'Clock Super Platinum are a very close second.

If I had both in identical razors I would have a hard time telling them apart. I find that the dark blue Platinum to be similar

but not exactly identical to the 7 O'clock Super Platinum in terms of sharpness and smoothness, but that would really be

splitting hairs. You would still get a great shave from any of the three blades.

BayRhum and ArNav, if you would like to try a couple Platinums just PM me and I'll get some out to you.

I bet they are nice blades. I only tried 3 Gillettes and I have liked them all. Nacets, Silver Blue and Yellows.

Thank you very much for your offer, Xillion, but I actually have one pack of Platinums I've received as a freebie with a larger order. I haven't tried them yet, but I will in the near future.

I just bought 25 of these from a Romanian vendor on the bay. Price was 5 Br pounds and included international shipping. We'll see if they show up and if they're legit. I've got more blades than I can use, but like variety. So I figured I could use 25 of these. Who knows if they'll disappear again.

Top Bottom