What's new

New Plant-Based Synthetic from Mühle

This is odd. Having used STF knots for 10+ years and sold many brushes with them, I never felt any scritch/scratch and none of my customers have reported anything like this. It always amazes me how different our perceived feeling of brushes/razors/blades are - it is purely subjective to the individual.
I had one of the unfortunate early Edwin Jagger's that I believe used Muhle STF and randomly had some very unpleasant scritch. Very unpleasant. I thought it was the knot and avoided it for a long time. Since then, I've re-explored the Muhle XL and it's absolutely fantastic. My go-to favorite synthetic. It's possible that some may have encountered an old Muhle with that random scritchy-ness?

I think I have posted this before, but according to Muehle - prior to these new partially plant based fibers - there were no different versions of the STF knots. Somehow this came up a few years ago on the shaving fora that there are different versions, but they confirmed twice to me this is not true. I use the STF knots probably well over 10 years and did not see or feel anything different.

really!? but I swear v1 of most synthetics are inferior no?? like even v1 STF wasn't as good.
There has only been 1 version of the STF knot according to Muhle... I'm sure @Rudy Vey would certainly know about this!!

Overall, I think it is as great a knot as the STF is. In my opinion the STD and the new version STF-Plant (37% plant based) are still the best synthetics there are. Not sure when I am start using the new knots as I just had loaded up earlier his year with a years supply of the STF.
Not sure I caught this the 1st time around but is "STD" the name of the new knot? How's testing been going for it?

I had one of the unfortunate early Edwin Jagger's that I believe used Muhle STF and randomly had some very unpleasant scritch. Very unpleasant. I thought it was the knot and avoided it for a long time. Since then, I've re-explored the Muhle XL and it's absolutely fantastic. My go-to favorite synthetic. It's possible that some may have encountered an old Muhle with that random scritchy-ness?

I had a similar experience. I picked up a Muhle STF in 21mm and it was the most uncomfortable synthetic brush I have tried. I have since acquired two RV brushes with XL STF knots. Those are absolutely amazing.

Bumping this thread to provide everyone with an update. I am actively working with Muhle in an attempt to get them to produce an "XXL" size for me and our community at 27mm. They told me they are trialing this and will let me know if it's feasible for them to produce. A hopefully exciting step forward!

Once confirmed if it's possible, I'll have these plant based STF knots available for everyone to try.
Excellent idea.

For the review article with Mantic Muhle provided us with ‘ grande’ versions of their Classic handles and knots, i.e. upscaled handles and a lower and denser STF knot.

Best synthetic brushes ever.

Not sure how to answer this one as I don’t feel a noticeable scritch in STFv2…anyone else experience this? Or maybe you had received a defective knot?
Yeah, I get a fair amount of scritch from STFv2 when I splay them... Fair amount by synthetic standards, that is.

This is odd. Having used STF knots for 10+ years and sold many brushes with them, I never felt any scritch/scratch and none of my customers have reported anything like this. It always amazes me how different our perceived feeling of brushes/razors/blades are - it is purely subjective to the individual.
I'd wager it depends on how you use the brush and how hard you splay.

In any case, can you confirm what apshaveco said about these STFv3 having slightly less backbone and easier splay?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I'd wager it depends on how you use the brush and how hard you splay.

In any case, can you confirm what apshaveco said about these STFv3 having slightly less backbone and easier splay?
Here is my review of the new STF V2 knots, that are partially plant based, you can also scroll back to 3 of March:

"My testing of the new, partially plant based synthetic knot was a bit delayed due to Covid, but I finally got to use it today for the first time.
A couple of things first: the knot is whiter than the STF, which has a very faint yellowish hue, this new one is definitely whiter, can be seen good between the plug and the dark band.
The knot itself is shorter than the old STF. I had a handle laying around that was drilled for a STF, and the resulting loft was only 51/52 mm instead of the 55 I am aiming for. Easy fix with a cork slice. Measuring the two side by side it shows the new plant based knot is about 4-5 mm shorter.
I set mine at the same loft as the STF, so 54/55 mm. In use I think it is a slight touch softer as the STF, otherwise, not knowing this is a different knot, I could not say I can pick out which one is which.
Overall, I think it is as great a knot as the STF is. In my opinion the STD and the new version STF-Plant (37% plant based) are still the best synthetics there are. Not sure when I am start using the new knots as I just had loaded up earlier his year with a years supply of the STF."

I had a similar experience. I picked up a Muhle STF in 21mm and it was the most uncomfortable synthetic brush I have tried. I have since acquired two RV brushes with XL STF knots. Those are absolutely amazing.
that is actually wild- I recently picked both the 21mm travel in chrome and the 25mm and i much prefer the performance of the smaller one; it splays betters- lathers faster- has better flow through and retention imo. I only think maybe it's less luxurious in terms of feeling very bushy and decadent- but then again the travel brush is a nicer handle material- again imo.

that is actually wild- I recently picked both the 21mm travel in chrome and the 25mm and i much prefer the performance of the smaller one; it splays betters- lathers faster- has better flow through and retention imo. I only think maybe it's less luxurious in terms of feeling very bushy and decadent- but then again the travel brush is a nicer handle material- again imo.
I read your comparison and must admit I am very tempted to pick up a 21mm travel in chrome after reading it. It seems likely that the original Muhle I have either had an issue or was damaged somehow. It is very prickly on the face, which is not normal for Muhle STF from all of the reviews I have read. I’m very glad I picked up the two RV brushes with 25mm STF knots after. They are wonderful!

Updating this thread with what I bought from Muhle, all with the new fibers:

23mm STF L
23mm STF L 20% more density

25mm STF XL
25mm STF XL 20% more density

These won’t be up on my site for another few weeks but once they arrive they’ll be up immediately.

No 27mm unfortunately but Mühle did say they could do a trial run of increased density knots so I had to grab some of those for the community to try.

I’m pumped!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Updating this thread with what I bought from Muhle, all with the new fibers:

23mm STF L
23mm STF L 20% more density

25mm STF XL
25mm STF XL 20% more density

These won’t be up on my site for another few weeks but once they arrive they’ll be up immediately.

No 27mm unfortunately but Mühle did say they could do a trial run of increased density knots so I had to grab some of those for the community to try.

I’m pumped!
I think I have asked them since 2016 or so for a larger, say 27 or 28 mm knot, but always got the NO back.

I think I have asked them since 2016 or so for a larger, say 27 or 28 mm knot, but always got the NO back.
I will continue to plant the seeds with them until they grow into a lovely 27mm knot lol…at some point they will oblige especially if you and I continue to sell lots of 25mms here in north america.

Apparently in europe they basically only sells 23mms (at least from what I’ve been told by Muhle).

Top Bottom