What's new

New member, with question...

Hi, new member here. My name is Gary, and I'm in Michigan.

After alternating between cartridge shaving and electric for many years, I got fed up with the prices and politics of Gillette, and went primarily electric rotary for my face, and continued to use Harry's for my bald head. Recently, while waiting for my wife as she shopped at the local chain pharmacy, I happened to find a DE butterfly razor in the shaving aisle, and picked it up on a whim.

Scared to death to use it, I read a bunch here and elsewhere, and worked up the nerve to finally try it. All I had on hand was canned cream, gel, and Creamo - which i use to shave my head.

Anyway, I applied the Creamo to the three-day stubble on my face, and when I drew the razor down my cheek below my sideburn, I didn't feel anything - none of the tugging or dragging sensation I'm familiar with from using carts. I thought "I must have the razor at the wrong angle" but when I felt the area I had just passed, i was astonished to find that it was perfectly smooth! Needless to say I was hooked immediately. I finished my "first" shave (in 50 years of shaving) with one minor nick near the corner of my mouth and little irritation.

Next, more reading, and buying.

I ended up getting a Merkur 34c and some Astra blades, along with a badger brush and some TOBS Sandlewood cream, as everything I read said that the 34c with the Astra blades was a good starting point. So far, I'm having a ball even though I'm only a few shaves along.

My question: what characteristic physically makes one razor more "aggressive" than another, other than an open or closed comb?...does a more aggressive razor expose more of the blade edge from below the cap?

Anyway, if you made it to the end, thank you. :)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B and the wonderful world of traditional wet shaving. Unfortunately I cannot help you with your question as I shave with a straight razor (SR). With a SR, there is no such thing as an "aggressive" or "mild" razor, only aggressive or mild shaving technique.

Congratulations on your new kit and welcome to B&B. I believe the definition "prone to bite" is the definition attributable to @Cal. Like shaving on wet ice, one wrong move and pain.

Aggression is determined by blade gap, blade exposure, and head geometry. The comb being open or closed has no bearing whatsoever on aggression in my opinion although others may disagree. Welcome to the forum 👍
Thank you.

I'm guessing the factors you cited combine to allow more or less of the blade edge to contact the skin.

Welcome. It's not perfect but I have found the Razorock comparison chart useful as a guide, you can then review the characteristics of the different razors as listed from mild to aggressive and learn a lot from that. You will see they have your Merkur 34C as well as other non Razorock brands listed near the bottom of the page.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My question: what characteristic physically makes one razor more "aggressive" than another, other than an open or closed comb?...does a more aggressive razor expose more of the blade edge from below the cap?
Welcome to B&B
Aggression the Efficentcy kind of get mixed up in terms and so I took a look at it with others a while back and maybe this will help explain it a little better. This is the best I could figure out and maybe it will help you and others.
Have some great shaves!

Welcome to B&B
Aggression the Efficentcy kind of get mixed up in terms and so I took a look at it with others a while back and maybe this will help explain it a little better. This is the best I could figure out and maybe it will help you and others.
Have some great shaves!
So it looks like blade gap and exposure are the primary variables. Which means that an adjustable razor may adjust one or both of these parameters in order to change it's "bite"?...or just gap?

Really just curious. :)

So it looks like blade gap and exposure are the primary variables. Which means that an adjustable razor may adjust one or both of these parameters in order to change it's "bite"?...or just gap?

Really just curious. :)
Most of them will vary the gap. Sometimes, that also puts more or less bend in the blade which changes the curvature. Changing the gap will indirectly change the exposure, also. This is just the geometry.

There's at least one niche model that adjusts the blade exposure by moving the guard. It's really expensive, though.

Hey Gary, Scott in NW OH here saying welcome to B&B. Like you this is new to me but these folks on B&B are the best and most helpful. All I can say from my 2 months of experience with this wet shaving thing is you just have to do some experimentation to find what works best for you and until you try you won't know. I have 5 or 6 razors and keep a notation log of each shave experience. A very aggressive razor with +++ blade exposure & big gap might produce no cuts/weepers or irritation on one face while the same combination will make another face look like he's been to Sweeney Todd's. The suggestion for the Razorock razor scale is good advise that would allow you to start mid level (or anywhere else)and move up or down to get the shave best suited to your face for comfort and efficiency. Enjoy!

Welcome, Gary. Great to have you. I'm new to the forum, but have been using a DE Merkur for decades since my grandfather turned me on to his. Having turned away from it while in college, I used cartridges for perhaps 5 years. I noticed multiple blades encased in that plastic housing required more pressure to do less of what the SR did. I feel that the curvature of the head, and the Merkur's design causing the blade to curve with it, thus parallel to the head's exterior curve make for a single unit that holds the blade closer to the skin, and more rigidly to the instrument--making it more efficient.

I can see by looking from the side that the blade in the Merkur sits closer to the skin than the several blades in the plastic cartridge that are, by poor design, held some distance away. The adage, "a sharp knife is a safe knife" is borne from a dull knife having to be used with pressure, decreasing control and inviting accidents. Similarly, given the distance of the cartridge's blades from the skin, the user must press the unit to the face more aggressively--again inviting accidents.

In culinary school the chef-instructor says "you should be able to please a woman with your tongs as if it were your hands." Sig Sauer boasts that their pistol is an extension of the hand. After I became adept with a safety razor, I became immensely aware it was an extension of mine.

I cant say the same for the plastic cartridge.

On Tuesday, I'll be receiving my first straight razor. I'm going to the dark side. I can't wait. I have a feeling I'll be saying, "and I thought the SR was good."

Hi, new member here. My name is Gary, and I'm in Michigan.

After alternating between cartridge shaving and electric for many years, I got fed up with the prices and politics of Gillette, and went primarily electric rotary for my face, and continued to use Harry's for my bald head. Recently, while waiting for my wife as she shopped at the local chain pharmacy, I happened to find a DE butterfly razor in the shaving aisle, and picked it up on a whim.

Scared to death to use it, I read a bunch here and elsewhere, and worked up the nerve to finally try it. All I had on hand was canned cream, gel, and Creamo - which i use to shave my head.

Anyway, I applied the Creamo to the three-day stubble on my face, and when I drew the razor down my cheek below my sideburn, I didn't feel anything - none of the tugging or dragging sensation I'm familiar with from using carts. I thought "I must have the razor at the wrong angle" but when I felt the area I had just passed, i was astonished to find that it was perfectly smooth! Needless to say I was hooked immediately. I finished my "first" shave (in 50 years of shaving) with one minor nick near the corner of my mouth and little irritation.

Next, more reading, and buying.

I ended up getting a Merkur 34c and some Astra blades, along with a badger brush and some TOBS Sandlewood cream, as everything I read said that the 34c with the Astra blades was a good starting point. So far, I'm having a ball even though I'm only a few shaves along.

Anyway, if you made it to the end, thank you. :)
Yeah but VINTAGE Gillette never hurt anyones feelings. Did you know the higher brass in the Corporation dont actually feel that way? They love men and support us in anyway possible!!! ✊🏻🤝 it was just a marketing team trying to do something “woke” for the GEN Z. Think about it…. 🤔 💭 right when they made that stupid commercial it was right around the time of the “me too” movement. Some feminist that was working in the PR marketing department made the pitch right about when the “ME TOO” movement was at its PEEK and they just went along with it and approved it. but do they really think that way? And think that way about us? I seriously doubt it!!!! Don’t hold grudges over Gillette because of one commercial all of their previous commercials some would say were overly sexist hahaha!!!!

I ❤️ Gillette Safety Razors

Yeah but VINTAGE Gillette never hurt anyones feelings. Did you know the higher brass in the Corporation dont actually feel that way? They love men and support us in anyway possible!!! ✊🏻🤝 it was just a marketing team trying to do something “woke” for the GEN Z. Think about it…. 🤔 💭 right when they made that stupid commercial it was right around the time of the “me too” movement. Some feminist that was working in the PR marketing department made the pitch right about when the “ME TOO” movement was at its PEEK and they just went along with it and approved it. but do they really think that way? And think that way about us? I seriously doubt it!!!! Don’t hold grudges over Gillette because of one commercial all of their previous commercials some would say were overly sexist hahaha!!!!

I ❤️ Gillette Safety Razors
I didn't really want to focus on the political part, but it was ME that brought it up. 🙂

Somebody had to approve the campaign, and they ran it, so that is indeed an indictment of the company in the public eye. I'm not bitter or angry, but choose to spend my money on companies that focus on the virtue of their product rather that make social commentary. I still use carts to shave my head, but switched to Harry's.

Having said that, to each their own...and I did buy a bunch of Astra blades, which I now understand is owned by P&G, which also owns Gillette, soooo....shame on me. 😄😄😄

I didn't really want to focus on the political part, but it was ME that brought it up. 🙂

Somebody had to approve the campaign, and they ran it, so that is indeed an indictment of the company in the public eye. I'm not bitter or angry, but choose to spend my money on companies that focus on the virtue of their product rather that make social commentary. I still use carts to shave my head, but switched to Harry's.

Having said that, to each their own...and I did buy a bunch of Astra blades, which I now understand is owned by P&G, which also owns Gillette, soooo....shame on me. 😄😄😄
All good brother! Have you tried any of the vintage Gillette products? They are glorious

Top Bottom