What's new

New Indiana Guy

Hi all!
I’m new to safety razors. I got tired of the cost and inconsistency of cartridge razors, and I think I would enjoy shaving with a safety razor more. I work for a large 911 ambulance service in Indiana, where I’m required to shave at least every other day because of the respirator we use.
I did a bit of research, and decided to piece together my own kit from WCS. It should be here later this week!

Thanks for having me!

Good prep is 60% of a good shave. The other half is a very light touch with the razor!

Seriously, press down like with a cart and you will nick yourself.

Welcome, sir.

Greetings and welcome!

From someone who is only slightly less new at wet shaving, let me offer you your first bit of hard earned encouragement - the learning curve is not entirely without its bumps and irritation. You will have some terrible shaves ahead. Stick with it - it's worth it!

Before long, you will find yourself really looking forward to your daily shave. Not long after that you will begin to notice how much closer, smoother, and more comfortable your shaves are than they used to be as a cartridge user. Once that happens, you can start calling yourself a beginner!

Also - as mentioned above, good prep is important. However, I wish more people had pointed out to me the cold shaving approach - it is a completely alternate approach that doesn't work for everyone. It seems to be one of those things that either really really works well for you, or really really doesn't. There does't seem to be a lot of middle ground. It works for me, and I wish more people had mentioned it earlier in my attempts to climb this learning curve.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hi all!
I’m new to safety razors. I got tired of the cost and inconsistency of cartridge razors, and I think I would enjoy shaving with a safety razor more. I work for a large 911 ambulance service in Indiana, where I’m required to shave at least every other day because of the respirator we use.
I did a bit of research, and decided to piece together my own kit from WCS. It should be here later this week!

Thanks for having me!

Welcome to the forum!

You're in the right place and with very good company.

Dont be afraid to ask for advice about anything!

Welcome mate.. u might of got sick of the cost of your cartridges, There is a good chance u will end up spending more with DE shaving but u will love every moment of it!!

If you have never used a DE razor before you will need to learn a few things and get used to the experience. But soon you will be doing great and you will NEVER regret this change. Do not be discouraged by any early set-backs. DE shaving and cartridge shaving may look the same mechanically, but really they are vastly different.

It takes a little while to learn the right techniques, but soon you will be getting wonderful shaves and you any friends who see your DE will be mystified by it and you'll be the talk of the town.:a22:

Welcome aboard! I’m also in the 911 business. I’m a f/t firefighter. But for years I had a p/t gig on a transport ambulance on the side. I did that until overtime in the dept got too good. Now I have no desire whatsoever to get back on the rig.

PM me your address and I’ll send you an assortment of starter stuff. Us emergency workers have to look out for each other!

Consider it my “haven’t PIFed in a while PIF.”

Welcome @Theron. I am from Carmel, IN. I started at the end of February and always good to have another Indiana shaver on B&B. Feel free to PM me if I can help in any way.

Top Bottom