What's new

New home improvement acquisition?

Thought we needed one here. I wanted an ultra reliable used welder for the upcoming garden trellis build. A kid in Plain City who went to tech school was selling off his grandfathers welders for him. I felt bad but he didn't like these he said. So here it is. A barely used Lincoln AC/DC stick welder for $250. The A/C ones are had for about 100, thought this wasnt a bad deal though.
IMG_20230825_184416168_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Thought we needed one here. I wanted an ultra reliable used welder for the upcoming garden trellis build. A kid in Plain City who went to tech school was selling off his grandfathers elders for him. I felt bad but he didn't like these he said. So here it is. A barely used Lincoln AC/DC stick welder for $250. The A/C ones are had for about 100, thought this wasnt a bad deal though.
I would have snapped that up as soon as they said $250. Then I would have had to explain it to the wife and find a place to put it in the already overfill garage.

Thought we needed one here. I wanted an ultra reliable used welder for the upcoming garden trellis build. A kid in Plain City who went to tech school was selling off his grandfathers welders for him. I felt bad but he didn't like these he said. So here it is. A barely used Lincoln AC/DC stick welder for $250. The A/C ones are had for about 100, thought this wasnt a bad deal though.
So how is it working out for you. That's one heavy duty welder and should make one hell of a trellis.

So how is it working out for you. That's one heavy duty welder and should make one hell of a trellis.
Got it all setup on a cart, heavy duty extension cord to weld outside the barn. Rods etc. the garden trellis is on hold, had trouble finding weldable rebar. Even bought a small weld table to practice exhaust pipe on lol. Its ready for next season , it runs great, just had to shake the cobwebs off. Cleaned it up because dirty tools are annoying and it's in great shape. Sorry about the late reply.

Nice find. You will find that different rods will work best in different situations, as will the AC vs DC.
Generally speaking 6011 rod run on AC is your "ranch rod." Kinda "blow and go." You don't have to clean your surfaces of rust or film. Usually gas powered portable machines on a truck to work on ranch equipment or pipe fence.
Since your machine has DC and you will be using it as a hobbyist, you probably will be happier with 7018 rod run on DC. Easier, looks nicer.
Bring your work to the barn, ditch the extension cord if you can. Don't be afraid to play with the amperage.
Get a hand grinder. LOL
Practice. Have fun. Don't burn the barn down. (if you are welding over or near a flammable surface either wet it down or put up a shield)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Generally speaking 6011 rod run on AC is your "ranch rod." Kinda "blow and go."
I haven’t welded anything in years but just the mention of 6011 rods brings back the smell of acrid fumes and smoldering leather from the apron.

Man, now I gotta buy a welder, and come up with some projects around the house that require fusing metal.

Nice find. You will find that different rods will work best in different situations, as will the AC vs DC.
Generally speaking 6011 rod run on AC is your "ranch rod." Kinda "blow and go." You don't have to clean your surfaces of rust or film. Usually gas powered portable machines on a truck to work on ranch equipment or pipe fence.
Since your machine has DC and you will be using it as a hobbyist, you probably will be happier with 7018 rod run on DC. Easier, looks nicer.
Bring your work to the barn, ditch the extension cord if you can. Don't be afraid to play with the amperage.
Get a hand grinder. LOL
Practice. Have fun. Don't burn the barn down. (if you are welding over or near a flammable surface either wet it down or put up a shield)
I have carbon felt welding blankets and fiberglass blankets, the whole barn is a danger zone honestly lol. I used to be pretty good with stainless and carbon steel. Overhead, vertical etc. just been forever. Next is either a mig or tig for intricate stuff. My dad was a welder at the old Caterpillar world headquarters and my grandfather was a hardhat diver and welder, never thought back then I should be learning from them more. Time has a way of forcing you to learn from your mistakes.

I wish I had a welder esp when it comes to restoring cars, but then again I probably would end up welding everything and anything just because I can lol. Last time I welded anything was in college for a mechanical engineering tech degree.

I am liking my new garage toy tho.

image.jpg

It’s currently 34 degrees outside but it’s 68 degrees in my garage thanks to this heater.

Maybe now I can work on this through the winter.

image.jpg

Larry

Top Bottom