What's new

New Here, Looking for Advice

Hi all, I am new to wet shaving and have purchased a Rockwell 6c and have been wet shaving for about a month.

I've been using it on plate 3 or 4 as I've found anything less to be inefficient. I've gotten better with my technique to the point where my skin doesn't get irritated much, but I keep getting many in grown hairs on my face and neck. I've been doing a two pass shave, one WTG one ATG. I think I have a pretty course bread and quite sensitive skin.

I've been showing before I shave, applying pre-shave oil. I've been using a Voskhod blade, with the Art of Shaving unscented shaving cream for my shaves and then following it up with Nivea sensitive soothing after shave balm and then applying a general moisturizer last.

Please let me know if you guys have any advice! I have Stirling shave soap, Stirling after shave and proraso white sensitive pre-share on the way.

Ease up on the ATG passes. Instead try two across the grain passes and see if your ingrown hairs go away. You could be cutting the hair below the skin line. When it grows back, instead of following the path of the follicle, it tries to make its own way?

Ease up on the ATG passes. Instead try two across the grain passes and see if your ingrown hairs go away. You could be cutting the hair below the skin line. When it grows back, instead of following the path of the follicle, it tries to make its own way?
@enaha1313

+1- As noted, the usual suspect for ingrown hair and the bumps is leaving the hair below the skin's surface. Too much pressure ATG or even too many passes can easily do it. If it's happening in just certain areas, IMO shave lightly only with the grain in those areas until it clears up for some days, or rest your face, if you're able. Using a pre-shave oil that's not fully washed away before adding moisturizers can also clog pores. Witch hazel, or an alcohol splash can aid in clearing away any oil. Pre-shave oil can be great, but it also may encourage us to do more shaving on sensitive areas. Shave bumps are most common for folks with wiry, curly hair, although it does happen across the board. I had curly hair, back when I had much hair, and still get bumps on my chin, maybe once a month. With me it's always been either too much pressure, too much touch up, or both. Of course, YMMV. Have fun!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
What I recall from a little research is Mantic 59 mentioned using a soft brush (synthetic) and dry brushing the area affected or trouble areas just before going to bed if a morning shaver (the brush just adjust the whisker a little). Maybe try not aiming for the BBS shave and just a just a DFS. Leaving a very little stubble to the feel of the hand is like .0005 thousands of inch and know one will notice the difference other than the person shaving.

...........BBS shave.....................................DFS shave or a couple hrs after a BBS................. 24hrs later from a BBS prior...
DFS.bbs  just after a shave! (2).jpg
DFS whiskers looks like 1.5 hrs later..jpg
One days growth of beard (2).jpg

I had a ingrown hair last year and its worth getting good tweezers to help disrupt them from from turning inwards.
Good luck with those miserable ingrowns, I know the feeling. I get the odd one every once in a while, sometimes they look like a pimple and then you relize it is a ingrown.

Welcome to B&B.
I've been using it on plate 3 or 4 as I've found anything less to be inefficient. I've gotten better with my technique to the point where my skin doesn't get irritated much, but I keep getting many in grown hairs on my face and neck. I've been doing a two pass shave, one WTG one ATG.
Forget the ATG pass for now till your technique gets better. The XTG second pass should get you a close shave which will also avoid those ingrowing hair.
I would also suggest you try a blade sampler as there will be better blades for your situation; e.g. Astra SP, GSB, Nacet, SharpEdge.

Welcome aboard!

In addition to the advice above, I suggest you ’map’ your beard. This will help you understand precisely what you are doing with each pass.

Hi all, I am new to wet shaving and have purchased a Rockwell 6c and have been wet shaving for about a month.

I've been using it on plate 3 or 4 as I've found anything less to be inefficient. I've gotten better with my technique to the point where my skin doesn't get irritated much, but I keep getting many in grown hairs on my face and neck. I've been doing a two pass shave, one WTG one ATG. I think I have a pretty course bread and quite sensitive skin.

I've been showing before I shave, applying pre-shave oil. I've been using a Voskhod blade, with the Art of Shaving unscented shaving cream for my shaves and then following it up with Nivea sensitive soothing after shave balm and then applying a general moisturizer last.

Please let me know if you guys have any advice! I have Stirling shave soap, Stirling after shave and proraso white sensitive pre-share on the way.
First step is to repair the damage that's already done - skip shaving for a couple of days altogether.

Then, go very gently just WTG for a week or so.

Once fully healed (no irritation, no ingrowns) follow the age old proven method WTG, XTG and if you must have a BBS, then ATG.

Now, as for pre-shave oil, pre-shave creams, etc - total waste. No benefit whatsoever. Get a top-tier premium soap, like A&E, GD, B&M. These soaps have EVERYTHING you need in their formula - all the "pre-shave" and "post-shave" care. Top quality soap is the single most important piece of software in your den. Forget the "el cheapo" brands, go for the best of the best only.

Make sure your pre-shave face prep is thorough. Nothing beats the hot-towel method, but I can understand it can be difficult. As an alternative, washing your face with plenty of warm (not hot!) water and lathering up, then leaving the lather on your face for 2-3 minutes will make a big difference. You then rinse again with warm water and lather up and shave.

I wholeheartedly recommend shaving BEFORE taking a shower, as shampoo and bath soap will wash away the natural oils from you skin, thus leaving it unprotected and way too supple for the shave. You want to soften the whiskers, not the skin. A warm shower after the shave will seal any micro-nicks and wash away lather residue from the skin, making sure the pores do not get clogged. Out of the shower, rinse your face with plenty of cold water and you'll feel great!

Finally, do not overkill it by applying multiple post-shave products. ONE is enough. Again choose quality items. You do NOT need to put an astringent splash, followed by a balm and topped with moisturizer. All that chemistry will do you harm in the long run and your skin will always be clogged. Instead, if you have oily skin, use alcohol based A/S splash, but avoid products with high concentration of alcohol. If you have dry or sensitive skin, preferably use a mild A/S balm. Nivea is a great choice. If you just have normal skin, use whichever you prefer. Bottom-line, apply moisturizer ONLY if your skin feels dry. Moisturizer is like a tool, you use it when you need the job done, you don't use it for the sake of using it.

Hope it helps!

P.s.: Rockwell 6C/S is a great razor, but I hate the concept of changing plates during my shave... I'd eventually look elsewhere.

In my case, all the trouble was gone when I switched from DE to SE razor. The AC type blades are much ticker than DE blades, they don't bend as they are extremely rigid. This blade rigidity totally eliminates blade skipping and chatter, which is the main cause of skin irritation. There is no tugging with SE razor.

Hey all,

thanks for all the feedback!! I'll take your guy's advice and wait a couple days till I shave next, then once I do only do WTG and ATG shaves for a little while.
I have a blade sampler pack. Left in the sampler I have Feather, Bic Chrome, Wilkinson sword, Bolzano Superinox, Treet Platinum, Gillette platinum, Dorco, Personna Platinum, Merkur and a few others. I was thinking of trying the Gillette Wilkinson sword or the Bic next.

I think for a while I was applying way to much pressure to my face as I shaved.

What do you guys think of Stirling Soaps shave soap? I tried it today and was really surprised at how slick it felt while on my skin. The razor seemed to glide really well with that on my skin.

Many gentlemen use Stirling soaps here, and it's a good place to start the soap journey.
I haven't used them, but my order is on the way, but I've heard good things about Stirling.
So you are set with a good soap.

Later if you wish, then you can definitely give the above mentioned brands of soaps a try as well.

Right now, all you need to do is to obtain consistent results with the shaves, good lather will help, but it's the good technique with razor that needs to become a habit.

Also, Welcome to B&B.

I think you answered your own question. Too much pressure. The neck is an awkward place to shave because it is not a flat surface. The only times I get ingrown hairs is if I put too much pressure when doing an ATG pass or going over the same spot more than once while going ATG.

And, welcome to B&B.

Welcome to B&B! I would echo the advice to stop the ATG pass for now. I would stick with WTG until you can work out pressure issue and then try XTG.

What do you guys think of Stirling Soaps shave soap? I tried it today and was really surprised at how slick it felt while on my skin. The razor seemed to glide really well with that on my skin.
Stirling makes good soaps, but there are better options.

I'd look into Ariana & Evans, kaizen-base. No need for pre or post shave with it. Glide and slickness, both primary and residual are second to none.

I do not have ingrown hairs so I am lucky.

There are several lotions, balms etc out there specifically for this problem.

If you want pre shave. Paa and stirling make great pre shave soap. If you gently apply that with a scrubbing spongue you will also exfoliate at the same time.

And give it some rest. Use a sharp blade chase dfs not bbs

Hey all,

thanks for all the feedback!! I'll take your guy's advice and wait a couple days till I shave next, then once I do only do WTG and ATG shaves for a little while.
I have a blade sampler pack. Left in the sampler I have Feather, Bic Chrome, Wilkinson sword, Bolzano Superinox, Treet Platinum, Gillette platinum, Dorco, Personna Platinum, Merkur and a few others. I was thinking of trying the Gillette Wilkinson sword or the Bic next.

I think for a while I was applying way to much pressure to my face as I shaved.

I love Stirling soaps IMO the best Artisan soap out there.

Top Bottom