What's new

New guy with questions. Going back to safety razors and want a nice one.

Hello to all. I am new here. This will be my first post.
Let me start off by saying, I am not hardcore into shaving like some of you cats. Yes I have lurked around.
My reasoning is such that , I am tired of spending 20 bucks a pop for three cartridge style replacement blades.
I used to use my grandfathers ( butterfly) safety razor. It was an adjustable razor and I used it on like setting 5 or so, if memory serves me correctly.
As I recall, it did a nice job. In other words, I've used these before, just haven't ever owned my own.

So now, I have decided to purchase a DE safety razor. But not just any razor.
I've been looking for something fancy, I guess you could say. You know, something really nice, unique, as my first one.
Something really slick looking, if you know what I mean.

I have my limit on this set at 300.00, maybe a little more if something really nice happens along.
I've also noticed that on some of the 2 and 3 piece razors that the edges of the blade stick ( both ends, not the blade edge itself)out from the top cap on both sides.
Not sure why this is, and would prefer a razor that when the blade is placed and the top is locked down , the edges do not stick out of the sides.
Or do they all do this? Or is this normal for many brands? So I suppose this is the first of my onslaught of dumb questions.

So far I have narrowed things down to a few nice razors, but I'm sure I have missed quite a few.

At the low end of the spectrum , I was looking at Yaqi razors.
They are pretty cheap but looked nice and interchangeable and stuff.
These are actually much nicer than anything I've ever used, so, I could live with Yaqi and save a bunch of money.
Maybe even get the whole show, you know, Brush, several heads. And it would be affordable.
But I've not ever used one so........I don't know. They look nice, for sure.
Looks of things go a long way with me.

Higher up on the spectrum, The Tatara razor. An exotic import, that looks really nice. I figure anything that costs that much will probably get the job done. I could live with this one pretty easy. I'd probably have something prestigious that nobody else has in a 100 mile radius.
I imagine most people wouldn't care and just hurry up, shave and get it over with. It's just a shave, they say. But If I'm going to do this, I want top of the line stuff. And be happy with my purchase the first time around.

At about the same level, I've been researching the Blackland Blackbird pretty hard. I really like this razor a lot.
Very nice looking. Not sure how it shaves but they are all something I could probably learn pretty easily. So this razor is up there on the list.
I even spoke with a guy named Shane about it, Turns out he owns and drives the same type of sports car that I have.
Seemed like a real nice guy.

So anyway, thanks for reading and please advise.

Be well

Brother Silent,

Did you tell us how coarse and tough your whiskers are? That is important, as there are mild razors and there are aggressive razors.

The Japanese Feather stainless steel razor has the feature of the ends of the blade being recessed by the cap. It is very high quality, costs about $175, but is a somewhat mild shaver. It would not be a good razor for you unless you have soft whiskers.

The Merkur Futur is a German adjustable razor that is very high quality, has recessed blade edges and costs about $75. It is an excellent solid and smooth shaver. It is very aggressive, and consequently many guys use it at one of the lower adjustment settings. It is very modern looking.

I have been on a fatip rave lately. I got the retro and really like it. It's not near as long or thin as their earlier retro handles. I think it's really nice. The fatip is all brass which should last a long time if not forever. The newer mk2 version is not as aggressive as some might think and you have the ability to make this razor as mild as you want it. Or as aggressive as you would like, just by changing the angle. Pretty interesting razor that pairs well with plenty of blades. And the razor cost around 20 dollars.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing with us. I am a vintage user myself so I am not up to speed on the higher end new razors. The only one that I have is a Gold Merkur Futur. It is quite a heavy razor which is what I do like and is adjustable. The blade tabs are also enclosed within the head of the razor when the blade is loaded.

New...I reckon the Taiga. It's stainless steel, modern, adjustable (which may suit you). You can dial the shave up or down
I don't own one but was busy lusting after it until my Wolfman number came up!
Oh, and welcome to the rabbit hole!

There are many really good modern stainless steel (and brass, titanium bronze etc) DE razors around, a couple of which have already been mentioned. I believe all will give an excellent shave and that there's really not that much to choose between them, except in terms of aesthetics. Another I would add to the list are the Timeless razors, which to me look and feel very classy, and are built to last; probably for many generations. If you have got on well with a Gillette adjustable on 5, I would say a Timeless stainless steel with a 0.68mm blade gap would be an excellent choice.

Since it is very difficult to tell whether a milder razor like the Feather suggested by santamariasteve, or an aggressive razor like the Blackland Blackbird you mentioned yourself would be a better fit, I would suggest an adjustable or a razor that provides multiple plates. I have, and enjoy, the Futur, but I would think it's not the best razor to start with. It is big, heavy and can be a bit unwieldy. The Rockwell razors, 6S, 6C or Model T all would be good choices. The Razorock Game Changer would be a good budget option, but it's not the classiest looking razor you can buy. Since you're willing to spend a bit more, I would seriously consider a Timeless razor. I've not used one, so I can't personally recommend it, but I've read enough positive reviews to be confident you won't be disappointed. Like the Game Changer there are several optional plates (actually there are many more variations than the Game Changer), so if your first razor turns out to be too mild or too aggressive, or if you just want to have the option to switch between different levels of aggressiveness, you can do so without having to buy an entirely new razor.

I'm a little late weighing in... Nice razor!

I was going to give there recommendations plus an idea or two...

Excellent quality and v low price would be the RazoRock Game Changer .84. I just got one and it is as remarkable as everyone says.

Next is the Rockwell 6S. MIM stainless steel with three bottom plates for six different shaves.

Lastly was the Timeless or Charcoal Goods. Both amazing and worthy of a prime display.

The others...

Rex Ambassador
Blackland Blackbird

If you're willing to wait and spend the really big bucks...

Wolfman Razors

and lastly something a little different...

OneBlade Genesis.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'm late, too. I understand you like nice things, but you may want to start with some less expensive razors until you discover what you like. The Razorock Game Changer is around $55 and very nicely made from all stainless steel. You could easily sell it on the BST forum later on.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome!

We all come in different doors, don't we? That's a good thing.

One of those little truisms is that we almost never stumble onto the perfect thing straight away. We have to try a number of things and reflect on their advantages and disadvantages. Not saying it can't happen, but the numbers are against you.

So dive in! The good news is that you'll pretty quickly start to find your own path. The other piece of good news is that razors in the +$100 class tend to hold their short-term value in the marketplace, so if it's not for you it can be flogged on to someone else fairly quickly and you will recoup most of the purchase price.

Before anyone starts up with "yeah, but..." I'll point out that only really holds true for the more popular models. There are some razors that almost nobody seems to want, that appeal to a limited audience. If that's you, fine. But accept that you may end up holding a few razors that will stay on with you for a while even if you don't like them all that much. Voice of experience.

Have fun. If you ain't havin' fun, you got some work to do.

O.H.

Congrats nice razor hope you will enjoy it!

And now the biggie it matches with which sports car?

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I just wanted to check back in and thank you all for your help.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my first really nice safety razor , this morning.
Hopefully , I will like it.
This one will do for a while. I have also decided to get a Timeless at some point in the near future.

But for now, this will have to do.
Thanks again to you all.

proxy.php
Very nice! Congratulations and enjoy!

Nice razor! Consider learning technique and your face characteristics (direction of beard growth, skin/blade sensitivity, etc.) on that razor and that will help you decide what direction to go on the next one.

Top Bottom