What's new

New guy with first restore

$P6230058.jpg

Took the plunge. Found an almost perfect "Beta" brand brush and decided it was time to try this. I got lucky, I pulled on the knot and it came right out with a loud pop. I figured this was going to be easy. Well, as usual, I was wrong. I decided to change the color. Original color was black, but I couldn't leave well enough alone and just touch up the black paint. Oh no, I had to do something flashy.

Using sandpaper and polishing paper I started to remove the black paint. 95% came off easily. Unfortunately some of the rot/rust from the knot seemed to have seeped into the acrylic. Sanding would remove no more. I know, I'll use chemicals. Well chemicals and clear Lucite don't mix. At least the ones I used. Nail polish remover and paint thinner. Those are no-no's for Lucite I found. So, after some hazing and crazing I decided on paint. The color looked great in the bottle. I mixed some with epoxy to build a shelf and get the loft I wanted and it dried to the green in the picture. I set it on a windowsill overnight to dry. Guess what, my windowsill slants ever so slightly. I added more epoxy to level things out and lost about 2mm. Polished out the handle as much as I could and finished with some Flitz.

Painted her up and put in an Envywhite badger knot from Nathan Clark. Overall she's about 3mm over where I wanted her and the green just isn't my favorite. It was more of a teal in the bottle. But she works and lathers like crazy with anything I give her. It's special because it's my first and functionally works great.

Things I learned. No chemicals on Lucite. Get a Dremel. My 50 year old fingers aren't made for this. Test your paint color on something. I also learned this is fun. I've already got my mind moving on my next one.

Thanks for reading and hopefully enjoying my ride. :biggrin1:

Kurt

Great job in the end. Color looks fine to me and you'll never notice the 2mm loss in height. I've restored a lot of brushes over the years and I just hate working with solid Lucite handles. The minute you think you are done you find another spot. You did a good job.

looks great. On the next one take a before picture. I'm in the middle of my first restore also and am kicking myself for not taking a before picture.

Oh man! That is awesome! I had a rubberset (clear luecite with a metal ferrule for the knot) and the bottom of the metal was black paint... I went with a deep blue/aqua instead and love that thing... but it's only visible upside down. I wish I had gone flashier now!

Thanks for the kind words and suggestion folks. At some point with Lucite you have to just say "I'm done". There is still some crazing, but I can live with it since it was my mistake that caused it. I didn't think to take pictures before the restore. I will next time. I have a "Gimbels" store brand Lucite that I'm going to do something with. My Mom used to take me to Gimbels when I was a kid. So it has a little more meaning. I steamed out the knot, but I'll need some real tools to get the rest of the epoxy cleaned out. My fingers can't handle this one.

In spite of your troubles that turned out great! Welcome to a new hobby, there's something special about using a brush you made or restored. It has a piece of you in it, and that can't be bought anywhere. Congrats on a fine job!

Top Bottom