What's new

New guy check-in, DE razor, having issues with neck

Hello, new guy checking in from Missouri!

About a month ago I started shaving with a Vikings Blade Chieftan Jr. which is a pretty good razor so far. My only issue is I tear up the bottom of my neck line. No more outright weepers but lots of irritation that leads to razor bumps the next day. I have mapped my grains and gotten a lot better, yet the only two times I got zero irritation was with the Wilkinson Sword Classic DE blades or the Vikings Blade Mild green package blades. Luckily I bought a 50-pack of those VB Mild greens so I can rely on those for a while but in a month the price jumped from $15/50 to $21/50. Yikes. I had okayish results from Derby Extras in the sampler so I got a 100-pack of those on the cheap as a stand-by.

I have identified one issue with my technique, once I get mid-way into a shave I start going back to old habits and begin pressing in slightly like when I was using Mach 3's. I've been slowly breaking this habit. The good news is while my neck is extremely sensitive my head is not, in fact I get less weepers and irritation with the DE razor than I would with any cartridge. It's faster, easier, and less irritation on my head. Once I did go back to a Mach3 for just the bottom of my neck and used the DE on the rest of my head, I had a good result but did not like how the cartridge felt after a few weeks with a DE. It didn't get the hair close and I had to shave again a day sooner than usual.

I have just ordered a RazoRock Mamba 70 as some have reported it to be a good mild daily shaver. Estimated delivery is right at the end of the month. It seems the older Mamba was too mild for many and the Mamba 70 rectifies that issue without losing the safety/mild factor. A sort of "sweet-spot" razor for people with sensitive skin. I can't wait to report on how it works with various blades, though I am dreading the first shave while I try learning how to angle that particular razor. Until then I'll keep using my Osma block! Whoever reads this I hope you have a great day!

Welcome to B&B; nice first post! You'll find lots of good advice here. You are making good adjustments and observations so far. I think many here would agree the neck is not easy. Try to keep good notes as you go, and it will come along in time. Enjoy the journey!

Shaving with cold water really helped with my neck irritation.

I also found that a more aggressive razor paradoxically helped my neck. I have a Rockwell 6C and moving to a more aggressive plate lets me take off all the stubble with two passes using almost no pressure. With the milder plates I would need more pressure or more passes.

What's your post shave routine?
Cold-water rinse, Osma alum block, rinse again a few minutes later, then I pick an aftershave. When it's bad enough I also use that nivea post-shave balm.

Can you describe the directions that your hair grows in on your neck?
Map below. My left lower neck in particular keeps getting irritation, slight twist in how it grows. My face all goes down and is quite easy, and my head has a few spots going odd directions but it's so easy to shave and not sensitive at all so it doesn't hurt for me to give it an extra pass on those spots.

Attachments

• shaving map.jpg
    shaving map.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 11
That's what I figured. Your neck direction is the same as me. Took me years to figure it out. Give yourself a day off and exfoliate with a facecloth to free up some of those ingrown hairs on your neck.

Then be easy with yourself and try this:

Pass 1
Bottom half of neck - go from bottom of neck up in strokes that arc slightly towards the ear
Top half of neck - go from top down with slight angle towards the ear

Pass 2
Bottom half same, top half up towards jawline. Neck won't be super close but it will look clean and have no irritation.

Then moisturize the neck. Should be good to go.

Hello, new guy checking in from Missouri!

About a month ago I started shaving with a Vikings Blade Chieftan Jr. which is a pretty good razor so far. My only issue is I tear up the bottom of my neck line. No more outright weepers but lots of irritation that leads to razor bumps the next day. I have mapped my grains and gotten a lot better, yet the only two times I got zero irritation was with the Wilkinson Sword Classic DE blades or the Vikings Blade Mild green package blades. Luckily I bought a 50-pack of those VB Mild greens so I can rely on those for a while but in a month the price jumped from $15/50 to $21/50. Yikes. I had okayish results from Derby Extras in the sampler so I got a 100-pack of those on the cheap as a stand-by.

I have identified one issue with my technique, once I get mid-way into a shave I start going back to old habits and begin pressing in slightly like when I was using Mach 3's. I've been slowly breaking this habit. The good news is while my neck is extremely sensitive my head is not, in fact I get less weepers and irritation with the DE razor than I would with any cartridge. It's faster, easier, and less irritation on my head. Once I did go back to a Mach3 for just the bottom of my neck and used the DE on the rest of my head, I had a good result but did not like how the cartridge felt after a few weeks with a DE. It didn't get the hair close and I had to shave again a day sooner than usual.

I have just ordered a RazoRock Mamba 70 as some have reported it to be a good mild daily shaver. Estimated delivery is right at the end of the month. It seems the older Mamba was too mild for many and the Mamba 70 rectifies that issue without losing the safety/mild factor. A sort of "sweet-spot" razor for people with sensitive skin. I can't wait to report on how it works with various blades, though I am dreading the first shave while I try learning how to angle that particular razor. Until then I'll keep using my Osma block! Whoever reads this I hope you have a great day!

O.R.E.N. Razor - Occam's Razor
The floating blade allows me to pick up the that grows parallel to the skin. This razor is so mild, but not efficient enough for me to use with two days of growth. After use i just rinse and let it air dry. Alternatively use a more efficient razor with a sharper blade. Razorock lupo is a budget friendly option. For me at also helps using a preshave cream or oil on the second and third pass.

That's what I figured. Your neck direction is the same as me. Took me years to figure it out. Give yourself a day off and exfoliate with a facecloth to free up some of those ingrown hairs on your neck.

Then be easy with yourself and try this:

Pass 1
Bottom half of neck - go from bottom of neck up in strokes that arc slightly towards the ear
Top half of neck - go from top down with slight angle towards the ear

Pass 2
Bottom half same, top half up towards jawline. Neck won't be super close but it will look clean and have no irritation.

Then moisturize the neck. Should be good to go.
This is very close to the method I'm starting to settle on, maybe a tad more angle towards my ears than what you are suggesting. I have gotten better at controlling pressure, just got a smooth shave with zero irritation but it took me nearly an hour to do both the facial hair and my head in one go. Had a single weeper on my head from someone knocking on the door :/

Only a few more days before that Mamba 70 comes in, really excited to give that a try.

It sounds like you have made major strides, keep tight on the new technique on your neck, you will get faster over time.

Best, JM

Welcome sir. I’ve been shaving since August of 2020 and finally started getting good shaves on my neck. My biggest issues:
Pressure
Angle
Hair growth direction
I cannot shave against the grain because my hair lays flat. I also have a swirly. It really helped to not shave in the wrong direction.
Pressure is obvious but I’m a slow learner because those old habits die hard. Once I got the pressure right sharper blades became my good friends.
I’m still blown away by that fact it took me 8 months to figure this out.

Top Bottom