What's new

New fancy French Press incoming

I have a double walled stainless press, I'm not sure what the brand is though.

I love it for travel. It won't shatter in luggage, or if it gets knocked onto a rock when camping.

It greatly benefits from a hot water preheat in the colder months. It's a real heat sink!

Enjoy your new press!

I have one, though I don't recall the brand. I picked it up specifically so I could have decent coffee on a military deployment. Works well, but I don't typically leave coffee long enough for the glass French pressed coffee to get cold.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had a Frieling for a good 10 years, now. I got it after breaking a glass one. Seeing as how a stainless steel press costs only roughly twice that of a glass one, and seeing as how breaking a glass one is virtually inevitable, it only made sense to go stainless.

I know me, and there's NO way I could have had the same glass press for 10 years (unless it were just put away in a cabinet and forgotten about).

I just clicked "purchase" on a new , 100% Stainless Steel Double Walled Insulated French Press with Fine Filters. I've had my eye on one of these for some time now and decided to buy one. I'm done with glass. Anyone use one of these?
I have had a Nissan stainless french press for years. I also have a Nissan stainless carafe that I immediately transfer to after initial brewing. As tempting as it may be to hold the brewed coffee in the the french press, given the insulative benefits of a double walled vessel, I find over extraction can sneak up on you during a leisurely session of consumption.

I have a couple of French presses by Planetary Design. They were nicely made but it doesn't look like they make the same models anymore. One is a good size carafe that is a French press for serving multiple people. The other is a 'double shot' French press mug that had a second compartment to hold a plastic container with more ground coffee in case you wanted to brew a second cup on the go. I picked up the mug at REI years ago. Both are double walled steel. I use the mug to make small batches of cold brew since it doesn't let in light, I can brew on the counter in less time (instead of having to put it in the fridge for a few extra hours).

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have one of the smaller one from Frieling (I forget if its the 8oz or 12oz, but it makes one neat cup) as a xmas gift and really like it. Even though its double walled I still preheat it with a little hot water first and it works well.

I have one of the smaller one from Frieling (I forget if its the 8oz or 12oz, but it makes one neat cup) as a xmas gift and really like it. Even though its double walled I still preheat it with a little hot water first and it works well.
Mine is a 12 oz model. Brews two small cups or one large mug. Perfect breakfast size.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
French press arrived and it works like a charm.

Great!

I have one ... a Bodum ... that I got years ago.

1663091385956.png

One of those. It's the perfect size for three cups of coffee ... but I haven't used it in ages since I got my Moka Pot. But I may still break it out if/when we get coffee-drinking guests and we need more than one Moka pot of coffee.

I just used one of those Bodum steel presses for about 2 weeks.

The part of the plunger you press is my only complaint. It is an uncomfortable shape pressing on my palm. However, that pressure is greatly reduced if you skim the foam off the top before plunging.

I call it "The Modified Hoffman" method. I don't like his method for brewing in a French Press. I think it's great for people that don't like the characteristics of French Press brewing and want a cleaner brew. I love the body French Press brews have, and I don't want to get rid of it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The part of the plunger you press is my only complaint. It is an uncomfortable shape pressing on my palm. However, that pressure is greatly reduced if you skim the foam off the top before plunging.

My solution was to:

1. pre-heat the container with boiling hot water.
  2. add coffee grounds
  3. add just enough hot water to cover the grounds
  4. swish the water around to get all the grounds wet
  5. wait. allow the grounds to get properly wet and soaked in that small amount of water
  6. when ready to plunge and drink, THEN add the rest of the water. The grounds naturally sink to the bottom rather than float.
  7. Plunge and drink.
Maybe it works for you ... or not ... YMMV.

1663257978366.png

My solution was to:

2. add coffee grounds
  5. wait. allow the grounds to get properly wet and soaked in that small amount of water
  6. when ready to plunge and drink, THEN add the rest of the water. The grounds naturally sink to the bottom rather than float.
  7. Plunge and drink.

View attachment 1522955
Clarification question:

Are you only brewing with the water that barely covers the beans? You cover and swish, wait however long you brew, dilute that brew with new water, and immediately plunge?

I just used one of those Bodum steel presses for about 2 weeks.

I call it "The Modified Hoffman" method. I don't like his method for brewing in a French Press. I think it's great for people that don't like the characteristics of French Press brewing and want a cleaner brew. I love the body French Press brews have, and I don't want to get rid of it.
I’ve been doing the Hoffman method. In your example, you're skipping the step at the 2 min. mark, where he skims the top layer of foam/floating grinds? If so, I’ll give it a try!

In his video, he also stated not to plunge, but to only depress the plunger to about surface level. This is the only time I’ve ever seen a French press tutorial that did not recommend plunging. Nonetheless, his method has produced great results for me.

My solution was to:

2. add coffee grounds
  7. Plunge and drink.

View attachment 1522955
Whoa! I am going to try this method immediately!

I’ve been doing the Hoffman method. In your example, you're skipping the step at the 2 min. mark, where he skims the top layer of foam/floating grinds? If so, I’ll give it a try!

In his video, he also stated not to plunge, but to only depress the plunger to about surface level. This is the only time I’ve ever seen a French press tutorial that did not recommend plunging. Nonetheless, his method has produced great results for me.
No, I'm only using his step where he skims off the foam at the top.

I brew between 4 and 4.5 minutes. I brew between 198F and 205F, lately 202F. I plunge all the way, but skim about a minute before the brew time is up.

Top Bottom