What's new

New efficient razor

No irritation it seems, right Joost? Always a good thing!

Guido
It went quite alright, I do feel some burn. But minimal. I probably need to hone my ATG technique.
Do you think another razor would be more effecient in the first 2 passes? So there is less stubble to remove for ATG?

It went quite alright, I do feel some burn. But minimal. I probably need to hone my ATG technique.
Do you think another razor would be more effecient in the first 2 passes? So there is less stubble to remove for ATG?
I would say to concentrate on beard growth direction and angle first before switching to another razor.

And if any I would say get the R41 replacement head and get a Fatip OC (Piccolo is just over €11 full brass). Combined they should come in at your previous budget of $30 or €30. Rasoigoodfellas carries them both. Add a few soaps to get free shipping to NL.

Edit: pricing has gone slightly up. €15 for the Piccolo and €18 for the R41.

as @ivan_101 said, try the Progress. it costs a little bit more, but it is an adjustable. it works well (for me) with Feather and Bic. it also works with less sharp blades.
Or get a RR Lupo 95 SB head from BST. (don't use the feather in that, at least not at first)

P.s.: my fist razor was a muhle R89. I couldn't quite get a close (BBS close) shave out of it. I went on a journey and now I have a bunch of aggressive razors. The R89 is my travel razor. Lately I discovered that I can get a very close shave with it (after 3 passes) and no irritation at all. It doesn't last as long as a Lupo 95 shave (the stubble surfaces sooner), but it is 98% as close after 3 passes.

I would say to concentrate on beard growth direction and angle first before switching to another razor.

And if any I would say get the R41 replacement head and get a Fatip OC (Piccolo is just over €11 full brass). Combined they should come in at your previous budget of $30 or €30. Rasoigoodfellas carries them both. Add a few soaps to get free shipping to NL.

Edit: pricing has gone slightly up. €15 for the Piccolo and €18 for the R41.
I have those razors in my basket along with a pre shave oil from the Goodfellas and I'm looking at some soaps... Man what a choices...
This probably going to list a enormous amount of preferense ;) but do you have any favourites?
I make my own soap and I (and some friends quite like it) but I'm curious how it compares to artisan soaps. I've used highland soap in the beginning before I made my own.

I have those razors in my basket now and I'm looking at some soaps... Man what a choices...
This probably going to list a enormous amount of preferense ;) but do you have any favourites?
I make my own soap and I (and some friends quite like it) but I'm curious how it compares to artisan soaps. I've used highland soap in the beginning before I made my own.
Haha! Yes choices! Making your own soap?! That’s cool! Ahm, let’s see - I always like Proraso Green. Simply excellent. Stirling is also very nice. I specifically like Executive Man. Most Goodfellas are also nice. B+M too.

I have yet to try SV and MdC. My current artisan soaps are not available at Rasoigoodfellas (yet) such as Areffa and Mike’s.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
1) Before buying another razor, try some Kai blades. They are a bit wider than most blades and might give you the increased efficiency you are looking for. If it doesn’t work out, you are only out a few bucks.

2)Now back to your initial $30 slant question, I have the FOCS and absolutely love it. I get at least 10 shaves from blades that I can usually get only 4 in other razors. My first shave was razor burn hell, because I rode the cap as I did with all my other razors. This razor is a steep angle razor, and once you figure it out, it is a dream. But, you do have to align the blade yourself; a pair of high powered dollar store reading glasses makes it easy. It likes all of my favorite blades but is especially smooth with a Tiger Platinum.

Hope this helps.
I have four Fatip Lo Stortos. I don't have to align any of them. If you adjust the blade to align with the cap on a slant you've adjusted it wrong. When looking down at the cap the blade should be wonky to it. The blade should be even with the baseplate.

I'd say don't worry about using an aggressive razor, that's what will help you get close in two passes. You might need some practice to do this routinely without irritation, but it's not real difficult. You need good shave prep, good lather and a reasonably sharp blade.

If you don't like to go ATG, you could try going WTG plus two diagonal passes in different directions.

I think my suggestions have already been mentioned above.

• Muhle R41 replacement head for 20-25 euros. You could put this on your current Razorock handle.
  • Razorock German 37, very similar to older model Merkur 37c except as a three-piece razor.
  • Fatip OC Piccolo or Grande. If you want a slant Fatip has that, too.

I have four Fatip Lo Stortos. I don't have to align any of them. If you adjust the blade to align with the cap on a slant you've adjusted it wrong. When looking down at the cap the blade should be wonky to it. The blade should be even with the baseplate.

100%
The blade must be aligned with the guard edge, I should have included that as it is not generally known to slant newbies, my apologies.

I have both plates for the Gamechanger. If you have not tried the Kai blade in that razor I wouid encourage you to. It definitely ups the efficiency in my .84.
That said, I got a Lupo.95. Pretty smooth and very efficient. Kai, Bic, and Gillette Super Platinum blades work really well for me in that razor. I use it daily for a BBS.
Other suggestions are awesome. I would definitely consider the r41 and piccalo. They have been on my radar

At the moment I'm leaning towards r41 and a fatip storto slant and maybe a ariana and Evans soap. But Stirling also looks good, they use lanolin what helps with sensitive skin.
If lanolin is what you want - there is a shaveshop in Breukelen who still has tallowed Mitchell’s Wool Fat and other sheep soap. Excellent stuff!

As mentioned in some prior posts by great members that care to share!
My tips are:
Try a sharper blade.
Ensure you have a good lubication on your face - light rub , try a light coat of a mix of liquid organic vegetable glycerin and rose water ( or just distilled) - about 50/ 50. Then apply your soap. Dio it for each pass. Helps soften the stubble, plumps up the stubble for execution, helps with the glide, lightly protects the face and moistures in after each stubble atttack.
Razor options:
>I find the G. C. .68 OC better for stubble removal the the SB.
>G.C. 76 P is also one of my tops for efficient and smooth also.
>Karve Outlander
>Karve CB plates B, C, D...either OC or SB...( whatever may work for you)
As for slants:3
>I recommend the Parker Semi slant first then the RR G37 second. Why, bother are easy to use. I just find for newbies transitioning to slants...Most people I have converted perferred the Semi as a better starter. Hell for the price..grab both..you can't lose.
Have fun, go slow, enjoy the shave, do not rush..be consistent and methodical.
If you do not like going ATG, try some different consistant angles...
Also make sure you are pulling you skin, at least around the neck or troubled areas ( flat and tight matters- how I learn to shave with a straight - and use it for DEs )
If you have not done it yet, make a stubble map of your face. So you better understand how to defeat your stubble smartly!
Remember, you are the master of the tool...
The tool does not master you....

Cheers
BFX

Top Bottom