What's new

New efficient razor

Hi All!

I'm looking for a new razor. Currently I own a rr GC 68 pc and a Henson mild.
I like the both very much but when I'm done I'm still left with some stubble. Due to my sensitive skin I can't do a atg pass. I do 2 passes and a buffing pass.
My favourite blades are feathers and bic. Others just don't cut my stubble clean and fast. A lot of blades drag.

I was thinking on trying a slant razor. What razor would you recommend in the $30 range?

For 30 dollar dscosmetic offers the full range of their ax baseplates in zamac. You'll be able to cycle through the 1.15 - 1.35 and 1.55 to see what you like most. Dont let the blade gap scare you, they are very smooth operators.

A Razorine Flatboy is also in the price range, if more dureable metals are what you are after. They're brass on stainless steel handle.

If you fancy getting an adjustable a Merkur Progress is a great and smooth shaver.

30 dollars should also be sufficiently to get you a nice pre war (so vintage) Gillette Tech. Mild but efficient and you won't need to worry about cutting yourself.

Edit: sorry, you're looking for a slant. I only tried the Fatip open comb slant. For me, it was a bit much to use daily. I believe the head comes in a closed comb version as well.

For 30 dollar dscosmetic offers the full range of their ax baseplates in zamac. You'll be able to cycle through the 1.15 - 1.35 and 1.55 to see what you like most. Dont let the blade gap scare you, they are very smooth operators.

A Razorine Flatboy is also in the price range, if more dureable metals are what you are after. They're brass on stainless steel handle.

If you fancy getting an adjustable a Merkur Progress is a great and smooth shaver.

30 dollars should also be sufficiently to get you a nice pre war (so vintage) Gillette Tech. Mild but efficient and you won't need to worry about cutting yourself.

Edit: sorry, you're looking for a slant. I only tried the Fatip open comb slant. For me, it was a bit much to use daily. I believe the head comes in a closed comb version as well.
Thanks for the suggestions!
I don't mind trying another "regular" razor. I'm looking for an effecient one. Especially because I do a 2 pass shave because of some sensitive skin. My thought was that a slant might me be more effecient then a regular one. But I could be wildly mistaken. I'm just a de shaver for 2 years now.

I got my technique down and can get a good shave with both razors but it's not really close to the skin there is still some stublle. Much less then my electric Philips shaver. (when I shave electric I have burning skin for a day...)

Just wondering what the next step should be ;)

Do keep in mind that a slant requires you adjusting your technique somewhat because of the different angle of attack.

You mentioned you have sensitive skin. I have seen other brothers report very fine results with their GC.68 - which obviously might not be so for you, but have you looked at other aspects of your routine? Such as soap, preshave, maybe even blades (even though you mention liking feathers and Bics)?

Razors for your budget range are Fatip (all brass and very effective) or indeed Razorine, but a R41 is also possible. And - it might not be your thing - for $30 there is a whole load of vintage razors on the market like the Gillette Old Type (Fatip++).

As for preshave routine there are multiple options. The preshave products obviously, but I have seen others use Shea butter to soften the whiskers.

Face vs bowl lathering has helped some as well.

Cheers,

Guido

O and by the way - ATG being out of the question for you, you could still do your XTG in a slanted way by tilting the head slightly upwards and moving your razor horizontally. Like so (picture by Shave Like Your Granddad):

1694259961842.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi All!

I'm looking for a new razor. Currently I own a rr GC 68 pc and a Henson mild.
I like the both very much but when I'm done I'm still left with some stubble. Due to my sensitive skin I can't do a atg pass. I do 2 passes and a buffing pass.
My favourite blades are feathers and bic. Others just don't cut my stubble clean and fast. A lot of blades drag.

I was thinking on trying a slant razor. What razor would you recommend in the $30 range?
You don't necessarily need to use a slant for a very close shave.

I see you use 2 super mild razors with super sharp blades. This is not the optimal for very sensitive skin.
I'd suggest to go for aggressive razors with mild blades.

Do keep in mind that a slant requires you adjusting your technique somewhat because of the different angle of attack.

You mentioned you have sensitive skin. I have seen other brothers report very fine results with their GC.68 - which obviously might not be so for you, but have you looked at other aspects of your routine? Such as soap, preshave, maybe even blades (even though you mention liking feathers and Bics)?

Razors for your budget range are Fatip (all brass and very effective) or indeed Razorine, but a R41 is also possible. And - it might not be your thing - for $30 there is a whole load of vintage razors on the market like the Gillette Old Type (Fatip++).

As for preshave routine there are multiple options. The preshave products obviously, but I have seen others use Shea butter to soften the whiskers.

Face vs bowl lathering has helped some as well.

Cheers,

Guido
Hey Guido,

Thanks for you're excellent suggestions!
What I do at the moment is shave after a shower, i put some water with the soap for that time and then use the soapee water as a pre shave. I've used oils but it didn't do much.
Then I do a face lather as u noticed it softened the the bristles a bit more. Especially when I shave with showering before hand.

When I read aggressive I get a bit scared lol. But I'm guessing it's a natural next step.

You don't necessarily need to use a slant for a very close shave.

I see you use 2 super mild razors with super sharp blades. This is not the optimal for very sensitive skin.
I'd suggest to go for aggressive razors with mild blades.
OK didn't know that thanks!
Do you have a recommendation for razor? Iiked voskod blades and Wilkinsons too but they were even less effecient in my razors.. Maybe I can use those in a agrresive razor...

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi @JoostD

Everyone's skin is different, but IMHO our body is a pro at adapting! Personally, I find it hard to get a really close shave without ATG, even with very aggressive razors. I'd recommend you take some time to condition your skin by doing an ATG pass every 2-3 days until your face becomes accustomed to it. It took me a while, but now I go against the grain everyday.

Light touch, mild-ish razor and a sharp blade, preferably shallow especially on the ATG pass.

Nope, I go ATG as well (just not in the moustache area or at least not full on). But I have mapped my beard growth as best as I can to maximise my strokes. And yes I use the Gillette Slant and Gillette Slide strokes a lot.

I use effective razors some night view as aggressive, but I can get great results with a mild razor like the Tech as well.

The one thing that doesn’t work for me is showering before shaving. Makes my passes very ineffective. I also shave cold.

In terms of effectiveness my second razor was a Fatip Special Edition so I had the safety bar as well as the open comb baseplate. Should have stopped there…

Hi @JoostD

Everyone's skin is different, but IMHO our body is a pro at adapting! Personally, I find it hard to get a really close shave without ATG, even with very aggressive razors. I'd recommend you take some time to condition your skin by doing an ATG pass every 2-3 days until your face becomes accustomed to it. It took me a while, but now I go against the grain everyday.

Light touch, mild-ish razor and a sharp blade, preferably shallow especially on the ATG pass.
I'll have a go at that. Maybe I'll try a more aggressive razor with mild blade for the first 2 passes and my Henson with feather or bic as the last 3rd pass. Maybe first a bit slanted like Guido mentioned.

OK didn't know that thanks!
Do you have a recommendation for razor? Iiked voskod blades and Wilkinsons too but they were even less effecient in my razors.. Maybe I can use those in a agrresive razor...
Yes, I have a recommendation for you. Do not go for those open combs.
Consider an adjustable razor. My suggestion is Merkur Progress. It is particularly good with mild blades. It will work with those Voskhods and Wilkinson Swords excellently, they are very mild blades, but you already know that.

I have an RR GC .68P as well and I like you found that at times I get some stubble left. I end up then polishing to much to get the result I desired and ended up with irritation so I understand your issue. I ended up getting the .84P head for the RR GC and this resolved the problems for me. I can get very nice shaves with the. 84 and at least at this time I need no more efficient razors. You can just purchase a .84 plate from RR. It is a little more than 30 dollars but not much.

I have an RR GC .68P as well and I like you found that at times I get some stubble left. I end up then polishing to much to get the result I desired and ended up with irritation so I understand your issue. I ended up getting the .84P head for the RR GC and this resolved the problems for me. I can get very nice shaves with the. 84 and at least at this time I need no more efficient razors. You can just purchase a .84 plate from RR. It is a little more than 30 dollars but not much.
Good suggestions thanks!!
Do you have the OC or Bar version?

Top Bottom