What's new

New efficient razor

1) Before buying another razor, try some Kai blades. They are a bit wider than most blades and might give you the increased efficiency you are looking for. If it doesn’t work out, you are only out a few bucks.

2)Now back to your initial $30 slant question, I have the FOCS and absolutely love it. I get at least 10 shaves from blades that I can usually get only 4 in other razors. My first shave was razor burn hell, because I rode the cap as I did with all my other razors. This razor is a steep angle razor, and once you figure it out, it is a dream. But, you do have to align the blade yourself; a pair of high powered dollar store reading glasses makes it easy. It likes all of my favorite blades, but is especially smooth with a Tiger Platinum.

Hope this helps.

I have sensitive skin too, and the best I have found is a Rockwell 6C or 6S. I use a 6C because it's great value and adjustable so I can swap the head plates when needed for more efficiently. It's the only razor I use now.

Ok, here's my take. I just recently bought an R41. Waaaay different from the original which used to leave me in literal tatters after a shave. However after reading a bunch of reviews here, I pulled the trigger and bought one. Great shave. Smooth for 12 hours. You can also buy just the head and use a different handle if you like. Now there are a lot of other shavers I really like but you did put a cap on pricing.:thumbup1:

Hi All!

I'm looking for a new razor. Currently I own a rr GC 68 pc and a Henson mild.
I like the both very much but when I'm done I'm still left with some stubble. Due to my sensitive skin I can't do a atg pass. I do 2 passes and a buffing pass.
My favourite blades are feathers and bic. Others just don't cut my stubble clean and fast. A lot of blades drag.

I was thinking on trying a slant razor. What razor would you recommend in the $30 range?
What angle do you use, i.e do you ride the cap or guard? You may be using too shallow an angle, which could be affecting the efficiency of your shave, accounting for stubble which really should be eliminated in 2 passes by about 90%+.

Also lather quality may be affecting shave efficiency. Too much and or too thick or dense lather can be counter-productive.

Just some technique thoughts. As with many things, technique is a continual evolution of small incremental improvements.

I also agree with Brother @lasta in terms of ATG. I don't think you can can get a fully effective shave without it. I do think even sensitive skin does in time adapt to these things.

Good suggestions thanks!!
Do you have the OC or Bar version?
I just have the bar version. Yes you have options for even more aggressive plates in the oc and the JAWS both for the .68 and the .84. Furthermore, you have the .72 as well these days. Lots of choices.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
RR did release the 0.76 GC base plate recently, I think. I just checked to make sure that was the gap. Yep, 0.76. That would be middle ground.

I have skin issues and the Merkur 37C is smooth, comfortable yet close for me.

...when I'm done I'm still left with some stubble.

If you are determined to buy a new slant, that's great but I'm going to ask the obvious question, that I don't think was asked:

Do you feel this leftover stubble when you rub your skin with the grain?...or are you feeling the stubble against the grain?

If you are not doing an ATG pass, you will always feel stubble when feeling your face against the grain. No razor will give you a BBS without a pass against the grain.

If you do two passes and skip the ATG, you should be able to get a smooth face (no stubble) but only feeling with the grain, and you should be able to achieve that with the razors you already own.

If you are determined to buy a new slant, that's great but I'm going to ask the obvious question, that I don't think was asked:

Do you feel this leftover stubble when you rub your skin with the grain?...or are you feeling the stubble against the grain?

If you are not doing an ATG pass, you will always feel stubble when feeling your face against the grain. No razor will give you a BBS without a pass against the grain.

If you do two passes and skip the ATG, you should be able to get a smooth face (no stubble) but only feeling with the grain, and you should be able to achieve that with the razors you already own.
Thanks for you're suggestions!
It's not just feel but looks. I have to do a shave in a few minutes I'll use my GC and make a picture.

My goal isn't a total bbs, but just as smooth as possible in 2 passes. But the coming weeks I'm going to try my GC more and every couple of days so a ATG with my Henson.

But still a new razor is always fun to to try ;)

I did a 3 pass shave this morning. I did 2 passes with my GC an 1 ATG (on the easier areas to practice) with my Henson. In the picture you can see what left over after 2 passes in the middle of my trough and chin.
Screenshot_2023-09-10-12-14-16-527-edit_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Top Bottom