What's new

New efficient razor

Well, the R41 isn't the worst of the lot... Sterling and Timeless both have razors that are even harder to tame compared to the R41. But it does give a fair benchmark of what aggressive feels like.
It scheduled to arrive Monday. I'm really looking forward to trying then both. Reason I set a limit in budget is because I want to try what aggressive razor and slant feel like and see what I like. If I know what I like I don't mind spending the extra cash for a possibly better one like a lupo or something.

Massive thanks to all of you for helping me out!!! 👍🎉 Really appreciate it!

When I had my first shave with both I'll update you.

Okay I did my first shave today with these new razors.... I love them!! They went trough 2 days of stuble (I have pretty coarse stuble) without any problems. First passes I had to check if it was doing anything because didn't feel a thing lol.
Full disclosure: I used Goodfellas smile pre shave for the first time too.
I used Wilkinson Sword blades, they were the only mild blades I had left. Voskod is on its way ;)
I think the storto was a bit smoother but both were great. I could have left it at 2 passes. There was no visible stuble left. I did a gentle 3rd pass with the storto and went okay. I still need to practice that pass but no irritation and almost no stings with the after shave balsem.
Thanks for tips all!!!!!

Last edited:
For 30 dollar dscosmetic offers the full range of their ax baseplates in zamac. You'll be able to cycle through the 1.15 - 1.35 and 1.55 to see what you like most. Dont let the blade gap scare you, they are very smooth operators.

A Razorine Flatboy is also in the price range, if more dureable metals are what you are after. They're brass on stainless steel handle.

If you fancy getting an adjustable a Merkur Progress is a great and smooth shaver.

30 dollars should also be sufficiently to get you a nice pre war (so vintage) Gillette Tech. Mild but efficient and you won't need to worry about cutting yourself.

Edit: sorry, you're looking for a slant. I only tried the Fatip open comb slant. For me, it was a bit much to use daily. I believe the head comes in a closed comb version as well.
The Razorine Flatboy is amazingly efficient. It deserves respect but delivers me a wonderful BBS every time...plus it's solid brass. Now they have also a full brass version

The Razorine Flatboy is amazingly efficient. It deserves respect but delivers me a wonderful BBS every time...plus it's solid brass. Now they have also a full brass version
Thanks for the tip. I've tried searching for that one but couldn't find it in the Netherlands. Is there a Chinese copy of it? I think I've read somewhere that the yaqi sentinel is a copy?

Thanks for the tip. I've tried searching for that one but couldn't find it in the Netherlands. Is there a Chinese copy of it? I think I've read somewhere that the yaqi sentinel is a copy?
You can find it here: Hai cercato flatboy - sbarba - https://www.sbarba.it/?s=flatboy&post_type=product&type_aws=true&lang=it
they ship to EU no problem, even for free above a threshold.
They owner produces some excellent soap under the brand Toscana Factory Lab...in case you want to try and get to the free shipping.
The sentinel is a copy of the Wolfman.

Update 2
I had a shave again today. Stubles from last Tuesday. So again 2,5 days of stubles.

This time I decided not to use the pre shave oil so I have a good comparison with "before". I ordered Ariana and Evans soap to try as well. It's a nice soap very creamy and thick but not very different from my own soap recipe.

The r41 tugged quite a lot with a Wilkinson sword blade. It was not as comfortable as before.
The FOCS was very smooth with the same blade l, but not as close as with the pre shave oil.

I might try another blade in de the r41. I have voskod, feather and bic.

The pre shave gel from Goodfellas really surprised me. It's slick and gives a close shave. I'll try to investigate the ingredients to see if I can make it myself ;) I have an pre shave oil recipe but that doesn't do much. It's castor, almond and olive oil.
The Goodfellas is more a slick gel.

Update 2
I had a shave again today. Stubles from last Tuesday. So again 2,5 days of stubles.

This time I decided not to use the pre shave oil so I have a good comparison with "before". I ordered Ariana and Evans soap to try as well. It's a nice soap very creamy and thick but not very different from my own soap recipe.

The r41 tugged quite a lot with a Wilkinson sword blade. It was not as comfortable as before.
The FOCS was very smooth with the same blade l, but not as close as with the pre shave oil.

I might try another blade in de the r41. I have voskod, feather and bic.

The pre shave gel from Goodfellas really surprised me. It's slick and gives a close shave. I'll try to investigate the ingredients to see if I can make it myself ;) I have an pre shave oil recipe but that doesn't do much. It's castor, almond and olive oil.
The Goodfellas is more a slick gel.
I am using the R41 this week. I think some tugging is "normal" for this razor. It is not really comfortable on the first pass, but I don't get any irritation from it in the end, so I just accepted it as it is. Compared to other razors that are much smoother during the shave, if I get carried away with those, I might get burn from the splash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom