What's new

New DE shaver

Hi,
A 45yo little boy who doesnt know how to shave his tiny face here. Well you know what I mean.. Have been fooling around for a bit but trying to get my routine down. Have 3 razors, 2 fav blades, 5 creams, alum, oil, witch hazel and 4 AS.. How did you settle on what to decide on for a period of time?

Hi,
A 45yo little boy who doesnt know how to shave his tiny face here. Well you know what I mean.. Have been fooling around for a bit but trying to get my routine down. Have 3 razors, 2 fav blades, 5 creams, alum, oil, witch hazel and 4 AS.. How did you settle on what to decide on for a period of time?

Welcome on!

I don’t feel very “settled” in my selections, but I do love the selections I’ve made, if that makes sense. I’m a researcher when it comes to spending hard earned pennies, so I read up a lot on items and options on items before I hit that buy button. Any of my items could be a go-to for me at any time as the mood strikes. Some of the soaps and scents I like the best I practice self control on and use selectively on special occasions or when I need a pick me up.

It is usually a good idea to choose one shaving set-up and stick with it for the first few weeks while you are learning and developing your technique. What gear you decide to start out with is up to you. In general I would recommend a razor with middle of the road ‘aggressiveness’ such as an Edwin Jager DE89 or Merkur 34C, however there are many other options to choose from. As for blades, again the choice is yours. A well liked blade for beginners is the Astra SP.

Try taking things slowly at first and use a light touch. You’ll soon get the hang of things. If you haven’t already done so check out the Shave Wiki. Lots of good info there. Good luck and enjoy the shaves!

One last thing I forgot to mention and that is do not hesitate to ask lots of questions and please keep us posted on your progress. :001_smile

Last edited:
I started with just one razor, one soap and a trial pack of blades. I used that to see the differences in blades for a while. Then I started to read B&B and it went wild. I hate having a bad shave, so I quickly narrowed down to three blades I like to use and then stopped experimenting. I was getting good shaves and trying new blades didn't seem to make anything better. Other than that, it's been crazy time with new soaps, after shaves, razors. I would say I "settled down" with my favorite razor, in that I use it usually for 6-7 days in a row, then use another for a few days and then back to it. But that's only been for the last few months and I'm going to start exploring straights.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You'll know when it's time to settle down, and what with. Things will start to become favourites, and when you keep going back to the same items time and time again, you'll know you're on your way - or maybe not.

I'm quite settled, but there are many here who are not. They are "settled" in the fact they are going to have to keep trying stuff. The prevailing rule on these forums is YMMV. What works for one person, might not work for the next. Every product has it's fan boys and haters.

As suggested above, I'd recommend not switching kit too much in the early days, as it makes it harder to build your skillset if the goal posts keep moving.

After that, enjoy the journey. You might settle down early, or end up on some never ending exploration. Do whatever works for you, but if you have any queries or hurdles that you're struggling to overcome, do shout up. There's lots of people here who will try to help you along the way.

Thanks for the replies and warm welcoming. I know I will never settle, I was talking about the initial period. The 34c I have and I think I like kinda middle aggression. Will try one soap one AS plus alum. Astra is one of my packs. I will let you know for sure..

Yup. Just thinking about what to choose.. Rockwell #3 or #4, 34c, Ming Shi #2. TOBS, Nivea, Bodyshop, Palmolive. Alum and/or Witch hazel. AS I have settled on Nivea Senitive ps balm.

Thanks for the replies and warm welcoming. I know I will never settle, I was talking about the initial period. The 34c I have and I think I like kinda middle aggression. Will try one soap one AS plus alum. Astra is one of my packs. I will let you know for sure..
Keep us updated

If it helps, I settled on a blade (well 2) relatively early, I found the sharpness of from the like of Feather, much to fine for my face/skin would often cut myself (poor technique) but not feel id done it, after coming here and having some Derby blades, regardless of their mixed reviews they seem to be a good blade for me, so I use Derby and Derby Premium (very similar in aggression) if I get a free blade always give it a go, Treet Platinum has been good for me Merkur however, was awful,...

I did the Witch Hazel thing but have not used this in around 6 months or more, Alum block works better for me usually I use whatever aftershave I have available so never settled here but soaps I usually settle for whatever I buy, I read the reviews then use it until its gone, its hard to say why we make these choices but I don't think anybody settles I most certainly think we think we settle but in all reality the chance to buy something new is a pull we all have, and then we justify it to our selves :)

probably not much help, but when you have 400 blades 10 soaps 13 razors 9 AS balms 7 Aftershaves/parfums 4 pre shave oils, you'll be thinking and asking, "how did I get here?" :)

Top Bottom