What's new

New camera

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks guys. Besides the stickies here, is there any good online resources to pick up some basic photography skills?

The only thing I know how to do is set the white balance for underwater photos., and I set the shutter speed manually on the camera I was using just because a friend in Houston recommended that setting for where I was shooting.

Nice camera, Mike.

This may help. I have a Nikon D3300 and found their Overview Training Tutorial helpful.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice camera, Mike.

This may help. I have a Nikon D3300 and found their Overview Training Tutorial helpful.

Thanks Chris! I'm away from home right now and on a mobile hotspot with slow speed and not a whole lot of data in the plan. I'll watch that vid. when I get back home and on my regular internet provider.

I went through the vid. that troy posted a couple of times and it helped understand what different settings do. I slowed the shutter speed way down an took some pics. of flowing water and a school bus going by...the bus looked about three times longer than it really was. :) I learned real quick that a tripod is needed with that slow a shutter. I used a new tripod I got a few months ago for my video camera for the first time and it steadied things right up.

I also played around with the aperture to try and get background objects also in focus. I'm learning a little at a time.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Chris! I'm away from home right now and on a mobile hotspot with slow speed and not a whole lot of data in the plan. I'll watch that vid. when I get back home and on my regular internet provider.

I went through the vid. that troy posted a couple of times and it helped understand what different settings do. I slowed the shutter speed way down an took some pics. of flowing water and a school bus going by...the bus looked about three times longer than it really was. :) I learned real quick that a tripod is needed with that slow a shutter. I used a new tripod I got a few months ago for my video camera for the first time and it steadied things right up.

I also played around with the aperture to try and get background objects also in focus. I'm learning a little at a time.

The video I posted is made by the same guy. I also found his the video posted by Troy very helpful.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No, it is 24 very large pretzels :)

I like pretzels...the more salt the better. :)

I'm liking the D3400, but I don't know much about DSLRs. I'm just now learning what the different sensors do and the difference between a mirrored and mirrorless camera. I'll probably like it better once I get an all-in-one lens...I don't want to have to hire camera equipment bearers to carry all of the stuff around.

A friend of mine in Houston does a lot of underwater photography and she really liked the Canon Rebel for a DSLR but that was more camera than I wanted at the time. She recommended the Canon A 95 and I have taken some very good shots with it and I've seen some excellent pictures she has taken with hers, but she also uses photoshop. Also, the UW housing for the A 95 was about the same price as the camera, which is what it should be for a good housing. I looked up an UW housing for the D3400 and it is three times the cost of the camera. But I doubt that's going to figure in to your decision.

Top Bottom