What's new

New camera

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just got an entry level Nikon D3400. The only thing I know about a camera is Point 'N Shoot. Do I have to change flashbulbs after every shot or does it have one of those 10 bulb flash bars available like the old Polaroids? :biggrin1:

Thoughts?

IMG_0003.JPG

Just don’t forget to rewind before you take the SD card out of it or you will expose all the shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just don’t forget to rewind before you take the SD card out of it or you will expose all the shots.

Thanks for reminding me! I hate it when that happens.

I wonder if this one has auto rewind or manual.

Also...do the drugstores process these newfangled SD cards or do I have to take it to a photo development shop? I don't have a darkroom.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
24 Mega pretzels?? That's a lot of pretzels!

Glad to see you sprung for the VR lens. That is worth the little upgrade cost.

Oh. Amazon has some great deal on Black and White SD cards. If you are the Ansel Adams type or if you just want a break from color.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks guys. Besides the stickies here, is there any good online resources to pick up some basic photography skills?

The only thing I know how to do is set the white balance for underwater photos., and I set the shutter speed manually on the camera I was using just because a friend in Houston recommended that setting for where I was shooting.

What do you do when you want to enlarge an image on that one? Send the what was it? SD disc to Nikon? or do they require you just send the whole box and they send you a new one? I used to have a hella-nice enlarger, but that only worked for oversize and 35mm. I kinda blew it when I got my first "D" series Nikki. (Gods it was wonderful making light boxes out of 120 and larger slide films.)

Thanks guys. Besides the stickies here, is there any good online resources to pick up some basic photography skills?

The only thing I know how to do is set the white balance for underwater photos., and I set the shutter speed manually on the camera I was using just because a friend in Houston recommended that setting for where I was shooting.
I'm pretty new at anything more than just point and shoot myself. I've been finding a lot of great info on YouTube. Here's a video that I found to be very helpful.

Last edited:
Pick up a copy of "Nikon D3400 for Dummies".

I bought a D5500 two years ago and was lost, it was nothing like my 40 year old Minolta SRT201 35mm that I hadn't used for 30 years !

"Nikon D550 for Dummies" helped get me back on track.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks guys...I found an article on the exposure triangle so that helps. I'll check that youtube video later...I just now got the micro SDXC card to work and was able to take a few pictures. :biggrin1:

I think I'm going to like this one better than the old Canon A95 once I get things sorted out.

Read the manual -- there is a "guide" built in to the software, but I've heard it's rather iffy in terms of actually helping you learn photography.

You can select image pixel density (resolution) and can always post-process on a computer, and any modern inkjet printer will produce decent prints on glossy paper. Not cheaper than silver prints though if you use good paper!

I just picked up a damaged D3300 to use as a digital scanner, it works better so far than any of my assorted film scanners that have been collecting in my bedroom the last 20 years or so. I'm currently using a 12 MP Pentax for that job, I'm hoping for better results with more resolution.

For actually taking photographs, I'm still mostly in the film age. Olympus and Pentax gear, carloads of lenses, and I really do like film. Plus it will still be here in 100 years and digital images probably won't -- so far as I know, there is no known and proven digital storage medium.

If you go to Nikon's website you can download a copy of the User Guide in pdf format and read it using Acrobat Reader on a computer, phone or pad. It's easier than reading the printed copy.

The Nikon manual is no match for the various books that are out there though. The "Dummies" books are excellent and probably all you'll ever need.

Good luck with the camera.

Top Bottom