What's new

New adjustable with magnets

I wonder if the search results depends on the country you are. It doesn't show in my results, no matter what I do. Thanks anyway:)

For today's shave I am testing the adjustable so a good soap and a good brush like the 1305 Heritage, an Astra blade and we are good.
Like I suspected, it shaves and feels like the Qshave, same quirks, same technique. Maybe a little milder but it can be my feel only. Like I said, not my favourite design, the magnets issues and all. 😂😂😂 Funnier and cheaper than a bad movie, warm cola and stale popcorn...

rey_shaves_120081612_1362293907495738_8327513050750361510_n.jpg

Cheers

With a stand, case and spare blades on Amazon for less than $30 in the US. Unclear about the link restrictions, but I could post if mods permit....

With a stand, case and spare blades on Amazon for less than $30 in the US. Unclear about the link restrictions, but I could post if mods permit....

I just saw it there too without the case and blades for about $18. I’m thinking about giving it a shot, not that I need it, but always love adjustables and want to try the magnet thing first hand.

Interesting design. I remember seeing some earrings that are held with magnets. I’d be a bit wary of removing the cap in case it suddenly freed up and whipped the blade across my finger.

I recently purchased one of these from Amazon. So far it seems to be a decent razor. For $22 I'm glad I decided to take a chance on it!

I saw a $9 listing on Amazon without the stand and under a different name. It appeared to be identical.

Tempted to try it and relegate to travel duty. Whenever I say this though, the low cost razors always turn out great and I don’t want to travel with them.

I heard they are a mild one, doesn’t bother me as long it is at least as efficient as a Super Speed.

Got it today. Very impressed.

I was really behind this morning. Wife is pregnant and due soon so I’ve been taking my sons to daycare and school, 2 locations across town and had to get to work, even farther away in the opposite direction.

My morning shave consisted of a splash of hot water and a WTG only with my Super Speed, no soap. Just good enough to look presentable without a shadow and ran out the door. Needless to say, I felt those whiskers slowly protruding more and more all day. When you are used to getting BBS daily, this is miserable.

Got an alert on my phone that it arrived at another work location a day early. With tax, and shipping, total cost was 10 bucks and change through Amazon. When I finally saw it, it was late in the day and I only had another 10 minutes before I had to run and pick up the boys.

What I did next was something I always tell myself not to do after a so so morning shave, I decided to get in a 5 minute shave before leaving. This usually doesn’t end well for me shaving twice in a day, no matter what. I got it out of the envelope and noticed the box was damaged. Not the manufacturer’s fault, this was all Amazon, just not packaged well for transport. Luckily, the razor wasn’t damaged. I don’t care about boxes so I got over it.

Ok, so the first thing I noticed was this doesn’t look at all like a 10 dollar razor. Fit and finish is quite nice. It is heavy but feels about 20 grams less than my VB Emperor. Some love went into designing this thing. The adjustment is that now familiar tube, shaft spring design based on the Gibbs which you now see commonly in new razors such as the Rex, TAIGA, Flexi and VBs. Some have better tolerances than others but it comes down to a good spring. You can manipulate the gap alignment on this razor but it goes right back to straight and narrow like my VBs. This thing has a good strong spring, that’s all that matters.

I didn’t have my brush but had a puck of Proraso. Let it sit in some hot water and rubbed a little on my face for some lubrication. I took an older KCG blade I had in my Rex at work (Not sure how many shaves on it) and did a basic north/south, east/west 3 pass shave. Nothing fancy, no GS or J hooks like I normally do. I got very close to BBS minus a little spot on my jaw and around my mouth. Not bad for crappy prep.

So this thing is smooth. I went WTG and XTG on setting 8 and went ATG on setting 5. Much more efficient and a lot more blade feel past 5 than what I was expecting from the reviews. I’ll take my time tomorrow to dial it in better. I really like this razor a lot.

Buying a razor like this makes you start rethinking a lot of purchases. Don’t know how it will hold up, but I think it will do well. Tempted to just exclusively use this for a few months and do a follow up.

This is a keeper so far.

A....n sells those, I got one over christmas and the head was crooked. One side had more gap than the other. I just sent I back, did not even bother testing. The seller blamed shipping; I doubt it was the case......., my city was getting apron 9K +Cov cases a day....so just going to drop this return was enough a risk. Done. They look nice but are just cheap things.

A....n sells those, I got one over christmas and the head was crooked. One side had more gap than the other. I just sent I back, did not even bother testing. The seller blamed shipping; I doubt it was the case......., my city was getting apron 9K +Cov cases a day....so just going to drop this return was enough a risk. Done. They look nice but are just cheap things.

I mentioned above that you can alter gap by pinching one side of the head. To reset, you just push up on both sides of the baseplate and it sets back into place. It is a good design, but one that requires a good spring.

All the razors I mentioned have the same type of design. My Gibbs has much better tolerances than this does but can still be manipulated, but only slightly like the Rex. The version M Rex could be manipulated much more until they went with a larger Gibbs design shaft with a collar for N and beyond. RE also changed their springs. The Progress and much later Variant have a different design but the floating concept is the same and the gaps can also be manipulated.

It isn’t as easy as just using a larger shaft. Depending on many variables, the spring is also important. The spring has to also surround the shaft and both have to fit in the tube. A smaller shaft and beefier spring will result in more play and a larger shaft and weaker spring will also have its own issues.

Owning more than a few of this design I can say the tolerances are better on those than this razor but this razor isn’t bad at all and my gap on this razor was perfect out of the box. Even if it wasn’t, it is pretty easy to reset. Those razors also cost a lot more than this one. I was surprised by this razor because I would rate it in the same approximate category with the sub $60 Progresses, Variants and VBs.

Gillette produced fixed gap designs that ride a rail internally via a collet. If you want a perfect gap adjustable razor, you have to get a vintage Gillette or other similar design.

Top Bottom