What's new

New adjustable with magnets

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on this razor on Aliexpress , just $15 delivered... Apprently an iteration on the Qshave/Mingshi futur clone with a magnetic closing system
12263790631746817992.jpg-12944565571349958293.jpg
Anyone used one?
Cheers

Looks great. I didn't know of its existence. I have que Q-shave and the Merkur futur. The magnets one looks very interesting.

QRTAS

Mine arrived in the post yesterday. It's quite nice.
The magnets + the pins keep the blade in securely.
In use, it's similar to the QShave adjustable, with a bit less blade exposure, smaller blade gap and somewhat less blade chatter on the maximum setting. The blade seems to be held a bit more rigidly and angled a bit differently, too.
It goes from 0.5 to 8, but from the two shaves I've had with it so far, it looks like the usable range for shaving is 6-8 and what's below that is probably better for trimming rather than shaving.
The handle, despite its looks, is actually reasonably non-slip when in use.
It's not a world of a difference between the SNMIRN and the more obvious Futur clone, but the shave with the SNMIRN on 8 was reasonably comfortable for me, more so than with the QShave Futur clone at 6 (which I think was more comfortable for me at 4, but not all that efficient).

Mine arrived in the post yesterday. It's quite nice.
The magnets + the pins keep the blade in securely.
In use, it's similar to the QShave adjustable, with a bit less blade exposure, smaller blade gap and somewhat less blade chatter on the maximum setting. The blade seems to be held a bit more rigidly and angled a bit differently, too.
It goes from 0.5 to 8, but from the two shaves I've had with it so far, it looks like the usable range for shaving is 6-8 and what's below that is probably better for trimming rather than shaving.
The handle, despite its looks, is actually reasonably non-slip when in use.
It's not a world of a difference between the SNMIRN and the more obvious Futur clone, but the shave with the SNMIRN on 8 was reasonably comfortable for me, more so than with the QShave Futur clone at 6 (which I think was more comfortable for me at 4, but not all that efficient).

thxs!

Wow, I hadn't heard of that one. I've had the Ming Shi before. Like my grandma used to say, "what will they think of next?"

Looks like a cross between a Futur and a Gibbs with magnets thrown in. Looks like it has capability of being smooth.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I wonder if they're using little rare earth magnets.
I always pull them from old hard drives after taking apart for disposal. They work great for refrigerator magnets, and at the end if a string to recover small bolts and screws when dropped in a tight space. 😁

I wonder if they're using little rare earth magnets.
I always pull them from old hard drives after taking apart for disposal. They work great for refrigerator magnets, and at the end if a string to recover small bolts and screws when dropped in a tight space. 😁

I hope because I think they need to have a very good pull to maintain the head firm during the shave, the issue with neodimium is that it corrodes so they have to be coated....

I did an experiment with a Razorock 400 handle putting a neodimium magnet on the handle and another on the base of a knot to make a magnetic interchangeable brush and it hold very well for lathering even in face... but had to use rubber coated magnets...

More pics of the adjustable w magnets. Sizewise feels like the Qshave a tad heavier maybe. It solves an annoying issue for the futuro design, dime brands of blades get stuck on the cover and removing them is kinda dangerous. The cover adjusts very well, three neodimium magnets with lot of pull. As a disclaimer, playing with it a magent got loose, nothing serious and easy to fix but an issue. Not my style of razor, i like smaller classical designs but something new to try. Tomorrow the shave...
20200924_183808.jpg20200924_183853.jpg20200924_183935.jpg20200924_183949.jpg
20200924_183837.jpg

and a fun video on how the cap works

20200924-184208.gif

Cheers

More pics of the adjustable w magnets. Sizewise feels like the Qshave a tad heavier maybe. It solves an annoying issue for the futuro design, dime brands of blades get stuck on the cover and removing them is kinda dangerous. The cover adjusts very well, three neodimium magnets with lot of pull. As a disclaimer, playing with it a magent got loose, nothing serious and easy to fix but an issue. Not my style of razor, i like smaller classical designs but something new to try. Tomorrow the shave...
View attachment 1159636View attachment 1159638View attachment 1159639View attachment 1159641
View attachment 1159637

View attachment 1159645

Cheers

Let us know your opinion of it. I like the design of this thing, seems so original, nice change of pace. No wear on zamack threads to worry about so it looks like it would last, well with epoxy for loose magnets anyway.

Anyone else ever see magnets used like this on a razor?

View attachment 1159636View attachment 1159638View attachment 1159639View attachment 1159641
View attachment 1159637

View attachment 1159645

Cheers

Mind if I borrow a pic or two for the Gibbs thread? Claudio has been working here and there for a Gibbs baseplate mod and this looks like it could solve a few problems.

Now that I am fixing it, I noticed that it has three magnets on the cap too, so 6 magnets. So, before gluing the loose magnet remember that magnets have N & S and you have to put the magnets to attract or you'll have a very loose cap :001_tt2:

Cheers

Top Bottom