What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

I'm sure ATT will come out with an aluminum X1
I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I think they haven't found anyone to make the aluminum razors in the States.
I saw this on their Website as a response to a customer review. And it was back in January:

"Our Aluminum production has been on hold while we look for a new machine shop to manufacture our Aluminum line. I believe we have found one, at last. However, our entire Classic line was retired last year, so any new aluminum that we have made will be of the Windsor design."

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Too much stuff!

proxy.php

Happy shaves,

Jim

X1 on the left. SE1 on the right.

I've used both within the past three days. Both are excellent. The X1 is better according to me, my skin, and my whiskers.

The X1 might be the best razor I've ever used.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Ah cool!
Didn't know you had both as well.
We need a master list on B&B of who has what, Lol!!
I keep reading praise for the X1.
Well, I guess it's between the X1 & Claymore!
I like mid agressive which makes the X1 the top contender between the two. And if I get the X1, I'll probably throw in a Calypso handle too. I've already got the Kronos & Bamboo handles!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm waiting for @never-stop-learning to make a quick comparison between the SE1 & X1!
Seems like you're the only one to have both!

X1 on the left. SE1 on the right.

I've used both within the past three days. Both are excellent. The X1 is better according to me, my skin, and my whiskers.

The X1 might be the best razor I've ever used.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have the Al SE1. Plan to shave with it tomorrow. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 288 of 289 = 99.7%
ACtober 2022
Bootlegger's Brigands
Single Edge Sunday
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20221016_113355~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (3)
20221016_113438~2.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
20221013_140856~2.jpg

Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
20221013_140810~2.jpg

Fragrance: Cuba Royal EdT Spray

Back to the ATT X1 Slant + Schick Proline P blade combination. Much better match! This is where the X1 + Proline stacks up on my required attributes:
  • Efficiency: Between medium and high. A comfortable level of efficiency.
  • Smoothness: Medium+++. A comfortably smooth shave.
  • Nimble & Maneuverable: Medium, maybe the low side of medium. The X1 head is larger and heavier than I prefer.
  • Predictable: Medium+. Pretty good in general. I do have to compensate for the additional weight and size of the head. Quite a different feel, both in hand and on face. Balance seemed to be more natural with the Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti Handle.
  • Overall Effectiveness: Medium/High. An outstanding razor that provides excellent to superb results. I could shave with the ATT X1 Slant + Schick Proline P blade daily.
Since I know you'll ask, I'd rank the X1 Slant maybe half a notch under The General V2 and both of them still under the Vectors. In other words, grouped with the best AC blade razors I own. The ATT X1 Slant is definitely one of my Big Dog razors :001_wub:

The rest of the items used in today's shave are favorites of mine and well documented in previous Journal entries. :001_wub:

Today's shave with the ATT X1 Slant, Schick Proline P blade combination was a superb top tier shave! :cool:

I have the Al SE1. Plan to shave with it tomorrow. :)

Since I know you'll ask, I'd rank the X1 Slant maybe half a notch under The General V2 and both of them still under the Vectors.
Related:
I was really interested in the General since I've read nothing but good things about it. I emailed Colonial razors a couple days ago asking about production since none is available for sale. They responded to me and told me that they no longer will be making the General!:(
I don't know if this info has already been posted on B&B but I'm just passing on the news!
I guess the only option now is buying one used!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
365 Shaves in 2022: 288 of 289 = 99.7%
ACtober 2022
Bootlegger's Brigands
Single Edge Sunday
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
View attachment 1540485
Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (3)
View attachment 1540486
Brush: @Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
View attachment 1540487
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
View attachment 1540488
Fragrance: Cuba Royal EdT Spray

Back to the ATT X1 Slant + Schick Proline P blade combination. Much better match! This is where the X1 + Proline stacks up on my required attributes:
  • Efficiency: Between medium and high. A comfortable level of efficiency.
  • Smoothness: Medium+++. A comfortably smooth shave.
  • Nimble & Maneuverable: Medium, maybe the low side of medium. The X1 head is larger and heavier than I prefer.
  • Predictable: Medium+. Pretty good in general. I do have to compensate for the additional weight and size of the head. Quite a different feel, both in hand and on face. Balance seemed to be more natural with the Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti Handle.
  • Overall Effectiveness: Medium/High. An outstanding razor that provides excellent to superb results. I could shave with the ATT X1 Slant + Schick Proline P blade daily.
Since I know you'll ask, I'd rank the X1 Slant maybe half a notch under The General V2 and both of them still under the Vectors. In other words, grouped with the best AC blade razors I own. The ATT X1 Slant is definitely one of my Big Dog razors :001_wub:

The rest of the items used in today's shave are favorites of mine and well documented in previous Journal entries. :001_wub:

Today's shave with the ATT X1 Slant, Schick Proline P blade combination was a superb top tier shave! :cool:
David, I've been using my X1 with the Timeless Ti Crown handle... for me, it improves the balance but as always, other people might prefer the OEM handle or another handle entirely.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Related:
I was really interested in the General since I've read nothing but good things about it. I emailed Colonial razors a couple days ago asking about production since none is available for sale. They responded to me and told me that they no longer will be making the General!:(
I don't know if this info has already been posted on B&B but I'm just passing on the news!
LRod,

I passed up on a polished-by-the-owner General V2 head a while back for $100. I still wonder if that was a misstep.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Related:
That is a true bummer. :(
David, I've been using my X1 with the Timeless Ti Crown handle... for me, it improves the balance but as always, other people might prefer the OEM handle or another handle entirely.
Thank you Kim. Good feedback. I started with the Spiral because it is shorter and heavier. The Crown will definitely get its turn soon. :)
LRod,

I passed up on a polished-by-the-owner General V2 head a while back for $100. I still wonder if that was a misstep.
Hopefully, another one will come up soon.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I think they haven't found anyone to make the aluminum razors in the States.
I saw this on their Website as a response to a customer review. And it was back in January:

"Our Aluminum production has been on hold while we look for a new machine shop to manufacture our Aluminum line. I believe we have found one, at last. However, our entire Classic line was retired last year, so any new aluminum that we have made will be of the Windsor design."
Interesting. Not sure why they would need another machine shop for aluminum unless it has to do with the anodizing. This from a guy that used to machine aluminum, stainless, and titanium, along with a long list of aerospace alloys like Haynes 188 and NASA 25.

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David,

I know you love light and nimble.... and love a pretty aggressive razor... I know you'd probably like to say.. more efficient.

Either way, I doubt you can find anything better for your shaves than the Blackland Vector Titanium. I might like it as well, but I fear it would be too aggressive for me. The only way to know for sure is to buy one... but it's a pretty expensive experiment.
Actually, I would say that I like highly effective razors. ;)

Aggressive razors are not easily controlled - they have a tendency to "bite" the shaver.

A highly effective razor is the sum total of efficiency, smoothness and predictability. Nimble and maneuverable are additional attributes that are particularly important to me.

These are just my personal descriptors. :)

One of the nice things about the Vectors (Ti and SS) is that I can vary the efficiency by changing blade manufacturer/model and, with the SS Vector, using the SB or OC plate.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, I ordered an X1 tonight with a Calypso handle so we'll see how it goes!
Based on all the reading I did + all your experiences, it won over the other ones.
I've only been using the Schick Proline's so those should be a nice match for the X1.
I'll have a report on it whenever I receive it next week!
LRod
I hope I ended up helping in the end. Things are so subjective and I have such limited experience. I can only tell you what I like and why.... that's about it....

I hope I ended up helping in the end. Things are so subjective and I have such limited experience. I can only tell you what I like and why.... that's about it....
You did! I'm well aware that all of this is super subjective. But we try to narrow stuff down by users experiences and then we try it out ourselves. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!
I'm certain that this one will!

Top Bottom