What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I can rip open my fingers or snap something expensive with carbide, but the others were done with my wee mitts and only the Kai would’ve been better done with a wrench and I have no real hand strength unless it’s opening a jar to impress my Missus.
Yes you can twist an AC blade, Thom. But not properly.

⬇️This is why⬇️

Young's modulus is a measure of the ability of a material to withstand changes in length when under lengthwise tension or compression.

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well yeah. Carbide flexes too, just not as much. In all seriousness Thom, AC blades much stiffer than DE blades. You would need a wrench to get the blades to twist properly.

~doug~

I can rip open my fingers or snap something expensive with carbide, but the others were done with my wee mitts and only the Kai would’ve been better done with a wrench and I have no real hand strength unless it’s opening a jar to impress my Missus.
Some shots with the Proline P loaded:
20221013_072402~2.jpg

20221013_072438~2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes you can twist an AC blade, Thom. But not properly.

⬇️This is why⬇️

Young's modulus is a measure of the ability of a material to withstand changes in length when under lengthwise tension or compression.

~doug~
The X1 doesn't appear to torque the AC blade in the same fashion, or to the same degree, that a DE blade is torqued in a DE slant.

Really can't feel it when tightening the handle like I can on a DE slant.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The X1 doesn't appear to torque the AC blade in the same fashion, or to the same degree, that a DE blade is torqued in a DE slant.

Really can't feel it when tightening the handle like I can on a DE slant.
From the ATT website: Our new X1 razor head is ground breaking. It is a single edge slant. The head holds an artist club blade at a slanted angle to provide a slicing motion when you shave.

~doug~

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
From the ATT website: Our new X1 razor head is ground breaking. It is a single edge slant. The head holds an artist club blade at a slanted angle to provide a slicing motion when you shave.

~doug~

No torque at all per @Above The Tie:

What I've seen so far certainly supports the ATT information.

In use, it almost feels like a pre-configured and predictable "Gillette Slide".

I think that the unguarded Schick Proline P will be a better match than the Kai MG guarded blade. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 285 of 286 = 99.7%
ACtober 2022
Bootlegger's Brigands
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20221013_140625~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (1)
20221013_140710~2.jpg

Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
20221013_140856~2.jpg

Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
20221013_140810~2.jpg

Fragrance: Cuba Royal EdT Spray

Second shave with the ATT X1 Slant. Decided to go with a fresh Schick Proline P blade today, which turned out to be a very good match for the X1. :thumbsup:

Starting to dial in where I rank the X1 on my standard attributes (efficient, smooth, nimble & maneuverable, predictable and overall effectiveness). Want to use the X1 with the Schick Proline P again tomorrow and follow it with the Feather Pro Super before I finalize my thoughts. :cool:

The rest of the items used in today's shave are Top Tier and well documented in previous Journal entries. :001_wub:

Today's shave with the ATT X1 Slant, Schick Proline P blade combination was excellent! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 286 of 287 = 99.7%
ACtober 2022
Bootlegger's Brigands
Clubman Friday
20221014_145554~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (2)
20221014_145651~2.jpg

Brush: @apshaveco Black Green (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)

20221013_140856~2.jpg

20221013_140810~2.jpg

Stayed with the ATT X1 Slant, Schick Proline P blade combination. Used the Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti Handle to alter the balance a bit. I'll have to go back and forth with the GTx handles. The Timeless Spiral Ti Handle certainly offers a different balance perspective with the heavy X1 head. :)

Couple more shaves and I should have my standard attributes (efficient, smooth, nimble & maneuverable, predictable and overall effectiveness) dialed in and ranked. Tomorrow, we go for the gusto with the Feather Pro Super. :cool:

The rest of the items used in today's shave are favorites of mine and well documented in previous Journal entries. :001_wub:

Today's shave with the ATT X1 Slant, Schick Proline P blade combination was quite excellent! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 287 of 288 = 99.7%
ACtober 2022
Bootlegger's Brigands
20221015_124420~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti Handle)
Blade: Feather Pro Super (4)
20221015_124510~2.jpg

Brush: Wild West Brushworks Invasion (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)

20221013_140856~2.jpg

20221013_140810~2.jpg

Going for the gusto today. Paired the ATT X1 Slant with the Feather Pro Super blade. The Pro Super provides a step up in efficiency, but at the expense of smoothness. In my opinion, the Schick Proline P blade is a better match for the X1 and I'll be going back to the Proline tomorrow. :)

The rest of the items used in today's shave are favorites of mine and well documented in previous Journal entries. :001_wub:

Today's shave with the ATT X1 Slant, Feather Pro Super blade combination was very good. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I copied your posts to my Journal so I can try to keep my comments on razors I'm evaluating in one place. :)

That's good! Hong Kong makes quality stuff so I don't doubt for one second that it's equal to the USA made ATT quality.
Now the issue is picking one out!
With coupons I found, the ATT X1 or SE1 head comes out to the same price as the complete Claymore. Like I said, I don't mind because I've already got ATT handles.
What I've read as I've been researching:
Claymore: No info on blade gap/blade exposure that I could find (I like that it's 316 stainless vs. ATT's 304 stainless)
SE1: .61 blade gap & 2mm. blade exposure
X1: .55 blade gap & 1.5mm. blade exposure
Most comparisons I've read, state that the X1 & Claymore feel and shave almost identical to each other.
You've stated that the X1 feels a tad more aggressive/efficient than the Claymore.
The SE1 supposedly is more aggressive (more blade gap & blade exposure than the X1).

For comparison purposes vs. my ATT DE's:
My Windsor is .80 & 1mm. blade exposure
My Stainless/Aluminum (depends on what plate I use/.25, .58OC and .91) and 2mm blade exposure.

Analyzing my favorite, it would be my Windsor .80!
That means that I believe the either the Claymore or X1 slant would be the ones for me to choose from.
I believe that the SE1 would be overkill for daily shaving considering the sharpness of the AC blades.
My ATT Stainless/Aluminum is too much for daily shaving and it's comparable!

Now, you said Kim that you'd probably pick the X1 over the Claymore. Considering your love for the Claymore, that means that the X1 must be a cut above. And you're a good point of reference because you've already tried both. I'm also following the @never-stop-learning journal to see what his opinion would be as well. Honestly, I'd probably be happy with either but of course we always want to make the right choice. I doubt that if I buy one, I would ever buy the other one anyhow. So I'd just enjoy the one that I would buy.
We'll see what I pick!

My SE1 is pretty nice with a Kai Protouch MG or a Feather Proguard in it. A Schick Proline really steps it up though.

~doug~

I'm also reading @never-stop-learning 's posts as he uses the X1. The Claymore wasn't his cup of tea, though he liked it a bit better with the Feather Pro Super blades. It will be interesting where he rates the X1 after a few more shaves.
@Rosseforp - Love the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG in my Al SE1. Perfect blade for that razor!

@Phoenixkh @LRod - So far, the Schick Proline P blade is the best match for the ATT X1 Slant. So far, the Feather Pro Super blade is the best match for the Claymore Evolution.

In my opinion, the Evo and the X1 do NOT shave the same. Both are very good razors, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the X1 and use Schick Proline P blades exclusively.

The Evo needs the Feather Pro Super and a shallower angle to get to acceptable efficiency. Plus, the size and configuration of the head render it less nimble and maneuverable than I prefer.

The X1 shave quality is Excellent to Superb. The only issue I have with the X1 is the size and weight of the head. It's not as nimble and maneuverable as I prefer.

I'll get into more details later but, for the present, the Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB checks all of my required attributes and remains ensconced as my Overall Alpha Big Dog Razor. :)

Just my opinion. :)

The Evo needs the Feather Pro Super and a shallower angle to get to acceptable efficiency. Plus, the size and configuration of the head render it less nimble and maneuverable than I prefer.

The X1 shave quality is Excellent to Superb. The only issue I have with the X1 is the size and weight of the head. It's not as nimble and maneuverable as I prefer.
Isn't the Evo head smaller than the X1 head?
It seems at it would be very nimble as compared to the X1!
I'm assuming it's 90 degree geometry is what probably affects this?

Also, how would you rate the SE1 vs. the X1?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Isn't the Evo head smaller than the X1 head?
It seems at it would be very nimble as compared to the X1!
I'm assuming it's 90 degree geometry is what probably affects this?

Also, how would you rate the SE1 vs. the X1?
The Claymore head is smaller than the X1, but in use, I don't notice it much. I will say this... I showed this to my wife.... the Claymore head has the blade closer to the edge because it has a slightly rounded corner. The X1 has a sharp 90 degree corner. I'm going to take a fine file and round/relieve the corners a bit. I have never modified any razor I've owned but since I don't have plans to ever sell the X1, I'm going do a small modification on this one.

Wish me luck. <eg>

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The only issue I have with the X1 is the size and weight of the head. It's not as nimble and maneuverable as I prefer.
I'm sure ATT will come out with an aluminum X1, and if I had a milling machine I would have already cut some weight out of my steel SE1.

Now that I think of it, my 4 jaw chuck might be able to hold the baseplate and cap. :idea:

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I copied your posts to my Journal so I can try to keep my comments on razors I'm evaluating in one place. :)

@Rosseforp - Love the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG in my Al SE1. Perfect blade for that razor!

@Phoenixkh @LRod - So far, the Schick Proline P blade is the best match for the ATT X1 Slant. So far, the Feather Pro Super blade is the best match for the Claymore Evolution.

In my opinion, the Evo and the X1 do NOT shave the same. Both are very good razors, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the X1 and use Schick Proline P blades exclusively.

I'll get into more details later but, for the present, the Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB checks all of my required attributes and remains ensconced as my Overall Alpha Big Dog Razor. :)

Just my opinion. :)
David,

I know you love light and nimble.... and love a pretty aggressive razor... I know you'd probably like to say.. more efficient.

Either way, I doubt you can find anything better for your shaves than the Blackland Vector Titanium. I might like it as well, but I fear it would be too aggressive for me. The only way to know for sure is to buy one... but it's a pretty expensive experiment.

The Claymore head is smaller than the X1, but in use, I don't notice it much. I will say this... I showed this to my wife.... the Claymore head has the blade closer to the edge because it has a slightly rounded corner. The X1 has a sharp 90 degree corner. I'm going to take a fine file and round/relieve the corners a bit. I have never modified any razor I've owned but since I don't have plans to ever sell the X1, I'm going do a small modification on this one.

Wish me luck. <eg>
The ATT's are like that. My Windsor has those corners. They've never bothered me though. I guess I'm used to it that way.
Maybe I'm wrong with what I've seen in pictures, but it seems that the Single edge ATT's are the same Windsor head that's chopped in half and obviously wider to accommodate the AC blades.

David,

I know you love light and nimble.... and love a pretty aggressive razor... I know you'd probably like to say.. more efficient.

Either way, I doubt you can find anything better for your shaves than the Blackland Vector Titanium. I might like it as well, but I fear it would be too aggressive for me. The only way to know for sure is to buy one... but it's a pretty expensive experiment.
Well - we might know where this is going…

My goal is pretty simple. Just keep the two razors I have;

And then we only heard the echo of Kim’s footsteps going down the rabbit hole :cuppa::blush::lol:

Guido

Ps: where he discovered that we ALL were standing in line at Razors ‘R Us!

Maybe first find a loaner somewhere?

The only way to know for sure is to buy one... but it's a pretty expensive experiment.
Solution:
-30 day trail for BlackLand
-90 day trial for ATT
-14 day trial for Executive shaving
I've never used those trial periods since I've always kept what I buy but this might just be the only time I might consider them.
I have no interest in the Vector but I might just buy a Claymore and an X1 to try both. I keep the one I like or I keep both 🤣
I've got enough stuff to sell that would cover at least 2 new AC's anyways!
Why oh why did I ever buy the RR Hawk to get me started on this?😣
Man and I just remembered that I have a Muhle Rocca R96 on the way!
Too much stuff!

Last edited:
Top Bottom