What's new

never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I love the AC SS razor. I use it sparingly, but always have a great shave when I do. I have zero patience for stropping and honing and all the other blade maintenance that comes with SR shaving. Believe me, I have tried to enjoy it, but just don’t. So this scratches that SR itch, without all the headache. Welcome to the AC club.
Same reasons I went with the AC versions. :)

I also have (and have used several times) the Feather SS Japanese Straight:
20201115_194044~2.jpg

Think I might go with the Japanese Straight today. :cool:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I started/stalled with a Mythus Kai Luffy clone/tribute/homage/ripoff. Probably easier learning on a kamisori, but it was the only AC barber razor with orange handles

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I started with the Feather SS. But on Black Friday I got an obvious SS clone from Maggards that supposedly takes either half DE or injector blades. There were zero instructions, and I have not shaved with it, or tried to load a blade. Maybe I’ll give it a shot soon. It was super cheap, like $7 or something. And I thought a shavette that uses injector blades would be cool.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 10 of 10 = 100%
MdC Monday
20220110_161348~2.jpg

Razor: Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight Razor
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (1)
Brush: Colorado Razor Designs Green and Bronze Handle (Maggard 26mm 2-Band Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Taking another walk on the wild side today with the Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight Razor. A really cool razor that is a lot of fun to use! :thumbup:
20220110_161447~3.jpg

The Colorado Razor Designs Green and Bronze Handle (Maggard 26mm 2-Band Fan) is a beautiful brush that is a joy to use! :thumbup:

Martin de Candre Nature is as good as soap gets! :thumbup:
20220110_161525~2.jpg

Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum is one of my favorite aftershaves. My face is happy! :thumbup:

Really nice shave! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 11 of 11 = 100%
Knights of the Veg Table
20220111_121926~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 3 Level 2
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co. Beehive (28mm Synbad Knot)
Bowl: None (Face Lathered)
Lather: Palmolive Stick (Tallow)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Continuing my shaving adventures with the new Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 3 Level 2 razor. Went with a fresh Feather blade for today's shave. Used my standard 3-Pass plus Touchups technique. I'm arriving at the conclusion that the Gen 3 Level 2 prefers a shallow to neutral/shallow angle. The Feather blade is the best blade match so far. Using the Feather, the Gen 3 Level 2 is a medium efficient razor. Its focus is smooth. Fair enough. Today's shave with the CG G3 L2 + Feather blade was somewhere in the medium efficient, medium smooth and medium effective range. The results are very good. Looking forward, my new CG G3 L3 baseplate is in route and should be here any day. Really eager to see how that plate will get through my chaotic, barbed wire beard. More to follow. :)
20220111_121957~2.jpg

The AP Shave Co. Beehive with 28mm Synbad knot is a nice, capable, no drama brush. :thumbup:

First shave with the Palmolive Stick (Tallow). Face lathered. Nice lather - slick and protective. :thumbup:
20220111_122024~2.jpg

Today, this humble Knight of the Veg Table has again chosen the wonderful Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal as my aftershave. Proud to be Rocking The Veg! :punk: :Veg: :thumbup:

Very good shave! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 12 of 12 = 100%
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20220112_080537~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CM1
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Lather: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Red

The ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CM1 razor, paired with a Perma-Sharp blade, provides a mild, smooth and comfortable shave. Takes a 4th pass to get through my barbed wire whiskers and gets the job done without blood or irritation. Overall a really nice mellow shave with top tier results! :thumbsup:
20220112_080609~2.jpg

Really like the RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic. A great brush and an excellent value! :thumbup:

Went with one of my long time soap/aftershave combinations today: Proraso Red Soap and Aftershave.
20220112_080725~2.jpg

Great performance! Wonderful scent! :thumbup:

Very impressive. A superb top tier shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 13 of 13 = 100%
Bootlegger's Brigands
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
20220113_123642~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 3 Level 3
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Lather: Van Yulay Puros La Habana (Tallow + Emu Oil)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Today is my first shave with the (much anticipated) Charcoal Goods Brass Gen 3 Level 3 razor. Went with a Feather blade since it matched up so well with the Gen 3 Level 2. Used my standard 3-Pass plus Touchups technique. Ended up being able to use my preferred steep angle. The Gen 3 Level 3 is medium/high efficient, medium smooth and medium/high effective. Excellent results. On my face, skin and beard, the CG G3 L3 baseplate is an improvement over the G3 L2! :thumbup:
20220113_123727~2.jpg

The Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E with TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot has become one of my preferred synthetic brushes. Great combination of handle and knot. :thumbup:

The Van Yulay Tallow + Emu Oil based Puros La Habana soap is excellent! Leathers easily. Feels great. Slick. Protective. Great post-shave feel. Definitely in my top tier of soaps! :thumbup:
20220113_123804~2.jpg

Bootlegger's El Dorado is one of my absolute favorite Aftershaves. Really love it! :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :)

Last edited:
Great shave reports on the new Gen 3 plates. I am using a Gen 3 Lvl 2 plate. While I see that you're a steep angle shaver, I'll ask anyway. I find that the CG Gen 3 plate as well as the everyday unlike other razors shaves better at steeper angle rather than shallow. Have you tried a neutral angle and do you find it inefficient and tuggy if used at a shallow neutral angle ?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great shave reports on the new Gen 3 plates. I am using a Gen 3 Lvl 2 plate. While I see that you're a steep angle shaver, I'll ask anyway. I find that the CG Gen 3 plate as well as the everyday unlike other razors shaves better at steeper angle rather than shallow. Have you tried a neutral angle and do you find it inefficient and tuggy if used at a shallow neutral angle ?
I had a difficult time getting the Gen 3 Level 2 plate to work using a steep angle, so I ended up using a shallow to neutral angle.

The Gen 3 Level 3 plate works great using a steep angle. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I had a difficult time getting the Gen 3 Level 2 plate to work using a steep angle, so I ended up using a shallow to neutral angle.

As an aside, I am still going to keep experimenting with the Gen 3 Level 2 to dial in the blade choices and get it to work better with my preferred steep angle. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

Got a perfect shave with the Gen 3 Level 3 going steep. Based on your feedback on the new Level 2 I have tried different angles on both the new Level 3 and new Level 2 and have not felt any benefit with any other angle. Steep is the way for me with both razors.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Got a perfect shave with the Gen 3 Level 3 going steep. Based on your feedback on the new Level 2 I have tried different angles on both the new Level 3 and new Level 2 and have not felt any benefit with any other angle. Steep is the way for me with both razors.
Had a difficult time getting through my whiskers with the Gen 3 Level 2 in general.

SASA is where I like to be. I need to revisit the Level 2 with a Feather (was the best of the 3 different blades I tried) and really focus on getting the steep angle to work.

Or just use the Level 3, which worked great with a steep angle. ;)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had a difficult time getting through my whiskers with the Gen 3 Level 2 in general.

SASA is where I like to be. I need to revisit the Level 2 with a Feather (was the best of the 3 different blades I tried) and really focus on getting the steep angle to work.

Or just use the Level 3, which worked great with a steep angle. ;)
Had good luck with the Perma-Sharp in both razors.

Top Bottom