What's new

"Never judge a razor on its first outing"

Also just in general, try using different blades if you don't like a razor. I swear the blade makes more of a difference than anything else in wetshaving. Thank god for blade testing multi-packs.
I’m fairly certain that the first few times I tried wet shaving and gave up it was due to using the wrong blades. I hesitate to say bad blades because it seems like they all have their fans. It’s a bit impossible to understand blade choice as a beginner.

As for knowing right away, I agree that it’s more of a learned skill or maybe conf. I’m too new to be sure after just one shave

Been mulling this over today. My first impressions of razors have been spot-on. Recently bought a Razorock Game Changer, Lupo, and Mamba. Loved the GC & Lupo from the start, but couldn't master the Mamba technique. Still can't. No doubt a wonderful razor for some, but from day-one the Mamba wasn't for me.

My failure to adjust isn't limited to razors. Daily driver is a 2006 manual Honda Accord. Love the car. We also own a newer Honda with push-button everything: ignition, emergency brake, transmission, Homelink, seat warmer, windows, locks, sunroof, ejection seat, Trunk Monkey, and some "Avengers"-logoed button that must be pressed so the engine won't shut down at stop lights. The phone must be plugged into the mainframe before engaging the transmission, otherwise Apple Play won't work. I call this vehicle our Apollo 13 LEM, because there is a sequence the buttons must be pushed or the system will overload and the planet fall out of orbit. I'll take my 15-year-old Accord any day over the newer van.

Back to shaving. Eventually, I will thin my "Island of Misfit" razors via B&B PIFs or maybe a big BST trade. I do not like returning things unless a defect, misrepresentation, or some agreed upon formal testing/trial period exists. No judgement of anyone else - it's just the way I am.

When "original" Tabac arrived in non-tallow form, I immediately requested a return through my HUGE online retailer, because it wasn't the "original." This retailer named for a southern hemisphere river credited my account and told me to keep the puck. I grew up "Catholic Light," which meant major guilt set in. A reputable 3rd-party vendor was likely eating the whole cost. Were they even aware the formula changed? I used the Tabac non-tallow once, posted my impressions on B&B, then grated it with other orphaned pucks. Ever since, just glancing at this Frankensoap causes guilt pangs.

So, in summary:
  • My first impressions are genuine and a reflection of my own personal preferences.
  • For items I deem not for me, I'd rather pass them along than deal with the inevitable guilt.
  • Manual transmissions good, automatics bad.
  • The answer to life, the universe and everything is 42.
I love your post. The Apollo 13 LEM car example is simply perfect.
I also agree with your thoughts on shaving items that don’t fit your preference.

I’m fairly certain that the first few times I tried wet shaving and gave up it was due to using the wrong blades. I hesitate to say bad blades because it seems like they all have their fans. It’s a bit impossible to understand blade choice as a beginner.

As for knowing right away, I agree that it’s more of a learned skill or maybe conf. I’m too new to be sure after just one shave
Yep 100%. I don't like feather blades. They shave efficient and I don't get cuts but they feel tacky and sticky on my face when I use them. Others swear by them. You'd think that sharpest = best, but that is simply not the case imo. As I've said in a few other threads, blade sharpness is probably not what you feel on your face. The actual edge, blade geometry, blade size and width, bevel and coating all probably contribute in some way.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Would I personally judge a razor that harshly on first use? I'm not sure. I think it depends in what way I was dissatisfied with it. If a razor was too aggressive, then yes, I may make a quick adverse decision. If it was the reverse, I might think I hadn't found the right angle yet, and stick with it a while.

Bad balance? slippy handle? Quick decision. Not for me.
Tugging? Inconsistent feel in different areas? Needs more examination.

This is a tough one...I think experienced shavers can judge a razor after one use but as @AimlessWanderer noted, there are differing paths as to why it was judged as 'love from first shave' or 'not the one'.

For me, I had a Paradigm Ti 2. It was a brilliantly weighted and balanced razor, handle was great, perfect light weight and maneuverable. From the first shave, I knew it wasn't for me. Although, I tried for weeks to make it work and love it... just never happened.

I think that an experienced shaver will know if they 'love' it or not after one shave. In my den, I figure why not use what I love with the number and selection of razors, and for that matter soaps and brushes. If it's a newer or less experienced shaver, I think that giving it more time is appropriate advice.

Whether to keep a razor you don't love but maybe like or is just meh, well that's up to the individual and to each their own.

I always give a second chance to any of the razors that don't impress me on its first use, but usually of a razor doesn't impress me by the 5th use, it's just not for me.Even amonsts my favorite razors, not all of them shave the same and I use some a lot more than others. I use my vintage DE razors from time to time as well, but the modern ones feel slightly better.

What I would recommend is doing more research on a particular razor before buying it and ask those who own such razors and like it why they like it, what blades are they using, what type of beard and skin they have etc. I've had a few impulse razor purchases in the past and I was really disappointed with some of the razors. Remember, just because a group of people are hyping a certain razor that doesn't automatically mean that you are going to love it as well.

For those of you that decide a razor isn't for you, do you return it if possible? If not, do you sell it used? I'm wondering how many people have a bunch of razors lying around simply because they don't particularly like them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For those of you that decide a razor isn't for you, do you return it if possible? If not, do you sell it used? I'm wondering how many people have a bunch of razors lying around simply because they don't particularly like them.
That's why I am getting rid of my Fatboy *giggle* in the St. Sue auction! (Sorry @KeenDogg , I promise to send the pics!) Great way to raise some funds for a great cause!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

I don't return stuff unless it's defective, or different to what I ordered. Me buying the wrong stuff is not the seller's fault, so why should they be out of pocket for my error? If the error is theirs, or their supplier's, I'll make damn sure they put it right, but don't expect them to put right what I do wrong. Just a little quirk of mine.

I do have a few things here (not many) that I ought to find new homes for, but haven't been bothered to deal with that yet.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There's a reason the title of this thread is in quotes. Because I did not say it.

Share your thoughts, please.

I'm all over the place on this one.

I've used razors which seemed great on first impression but not as great later on. Some razors have grown on me over time, or seemed better when I used them again after neglecting them for a long while.

Once or twice I thought I disliked the razor but later found out I liked it a lot better with a different handle. An example would be the Blackland Blackbird.

Seems obvious to me that beginners and old hands will see this sort of question differently. Perhaps that's true of guys like me searching for the PUHG razor as compared with gentlemen seeking a different shave and shaving experience.

[Pegasus Unicorn Holy Grail]

Generally speaking I agree with you. Much written is without much context. How long has the reviewer or advisor been using safety razors? What's their skin like? Their beard? How often do they shave? Etc?

How well are variables such as soap and blades controlled?

In spite of evidence to the contrary I wouldn't consider myself a collector as much as a hobbyist and a seeker. I tend to keep (so far) the razors I buy or occasionally PIF them which puts me perhaps in a category a bit different from gentlemen who don't jump around from razor to razor, constantly comparing things, trying new and old razors.

Far too frequently I don't know what most people are actually talking about or what they mean unless I make a nuisance of myself asking questions. I'd assume most of what I write is viewed in much the same way.

I always judge a razor on its first outing, but...

Happy shaves,

Jim

There's a reason the title of this thread is in quotes. Because I did not say it.

Few days ago, I wrote about returning a razor to the manufacturer after one shave,
because I decided it was not for me.

Instantly, a few keyboard contrarians jumped in.

Surely, you're being impatient.

You haven't given it enough time.

What arrogance, said one fellow with an avatar featuring Chewbacca,
and a demeanour that matched the hirsute one.

Do you have experience with DE razors, one chimed in bravely.

How experienced are you, another opined.

Give it time, you haven't used the right shaving angle.

And so on....

I gather from these statements that there is a school of thought which maintains that
if a razor did not work for you and you spotted it right away, it must be your fault
and you know nothing about using one.

THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE AND I'M STARTING THS THREAD TO COUNTER THIS NOTION.

I've never encountered a razor that disappointed me on first shave, and then miraculously
started to delight me as I continued to use it more and more.

Conversely, every razor that I've loved impressed me right from the first go...and continued to
improve as I used it.

I am sure others think differently but this is my opinion.

I'm a straight shaver exclusively, so maybe a slightly different perspective, but I tend to agree with you. I've had razors I *really* wanted to like, but didn't. Now, because a lot of the variables in straight shaving are completely within my control (stropping, honing, shave angle) I have given them more tries after trying to tweak those variables. But honestly, I can only think of one, out of 20 or so, that I actually got dialed in and now really like. The others, well, I spent a lot of time on them that was ultimately wasted. Well, perhaps not completely wasted, because I have a better understanding of what factors contribute to me liking or not liking a razor, and knowing which ones I can fix.

I can think of 3, maybe 4, that I should have ditched after the first shave. Maybe the first pass. And now I know. Maybe someone else would love them. I hope they do.

There are a lot of great razors out there, life's too short to waste time on ones that don't agree with you.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is so true.

In fact, I would never judge a blade on its first outing, as I (and many others) have
noticed that they really shine on their second or third use.

My take on this is that, over time, I've already identified 2-3 blade brands that work
very well for me. No matter which razor I load them in....wolfman, taiga, charcoal,
vintage razors....they blend into the razor without asserting their individual personality
and just get on with it.

So when I come across a razor that will not deliver the goods, it does not make me
think its the blade's fault, because all the blades in my arsenal are stellar performers
that have been pre-vetted for years.

I also don't subscribe to this theory of using certain blades for certain razors....I use
mine uniformly across the few razors I have... with great success.

I use Polsilver SI and Wizamet SI and nothing else. I think PSI an WSI are the same blade in spite of opinions and perhaps evidence to the contrary.

Once I tried a PSI blade I knew I was finished looking for the best blade for me. WSI was touted as being an available replacement, exactly the same in different packaging. My skin agreed.

If a razor doesn't like my blade I don't like the razor. I say that with the knowledge that all razors like my blade. All I've tried.

I believe some razors have a learning curve. I'll use the Wunderbar as an example. It seemed immediately super smooth and very efficient, but it had a tendency to jump up out of nowhere and bite me on occasion. I used it for a Fixed Four and improved with it. I'm not saying I mastered it.

I've also discovered, and know others have too, that some razors are, for good reason, put in a drawer for a long time, only to surface and receive a second trial much later. Surprisingly, they have sometimes great improved.

Still, in general I agree with the OP.

Whether it works for someone else is of interest to me when I'm considering an acquisition. Once the item is mine I only care whether it works for me and whether I like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Would I personally judge a razor that harshly on first use? I'm not sure. I think it depends in what way I was dissatisfied with it. If a razor was too aggressive, then yes, I may make a quick adverse decision. If it was the reverse, I might think I hadn't found the right angle yet, and stick with it a while.

Bad balance? slippy handle? Quick decision. Not for me.
Tugging? Inconsistent feel in different areas? Needs more examination.

This is a good question.
What exactly did not agree with you? There had to be something.
It could be anything to be justified even just feel in the hand. No matter the reason. If you did not favor it right away its best to return it if possible and get something you do enjoy.

I think the only difference between DE razors is material, construction quality, and the specific angle to shave.
They essentially just hold a blade. So it just seems logical that it's really only technique. So not liking a razor on the first shave means one didn't have the proper technique for that razor on the first shave.
You could buy and return razors until you find a razor to match your technique or change technique to match to razor.
Some people are turned off by the waste of return abuse.

You have left out one very important aspect. Blade gap.
This in itself could make from a very aggressive to very mild razor regardless of technique.
The gap would be in the product description. Also, its my understanding that blade gap is just how bad one can cut themselves if they make a mistake and efficiency with linger hair. It doesn't really change anything else.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think the only difference between DE razors is material, construction quality, and the specific angle to shave.

You might want to test that theory with an iKon Tech.

The head is available for only $25. It's a high quality, well made item.

They essentially just hold a blade.

8-27-21.Yuma.WolfmanWRH2.Zenith3Band.Vitos.640.JPG

The Yuma holds the blade.

Ignore the handle.​

So it just seems logical that it's really only technique.

Yes, logical if your premise is accepted.

So not liking a razor on the first shave means one didn't have the proper technique for that razor on the first shave.

:pipe:

You could buy and return razors until you find a razor to match your technique or change technique to match to razor.

:mad2:

Some people are turned off by the waste of return abuse.

Some razors can be returned. Some can't.

Some can be sold. Some can't be given away.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The gap would be in the product description. Also, its my understanding that blade gap is just how bad one can cut themselves if they make a mistake and efficiency with linger hair. It doesn't really change anything else.

Blade gap may or may not be specified.
Do you know your own tolerance of blade gap? Between...thou and ... thou? I would hazard most do not.
It has to be felt in the razor.
As far as how bad a cut you can give yourself directly relates to how aggressive the blade is because of the gap in the first place.
Big gap = aggressiveness in cutting you hair, not your skin. Although the two are related:)

Ok. First, I don’t understand why someone would start a thread or make a post about returning a razor after only using it once in the first place. How does that benefit anyone? Second, why get bent out of shape because a few members didn’t agree with your decision?

Last edited:
Top Bottom