What's new

"Never judge a razor on its first outing"

I know what you mean now...groupthink can be a very annoying thing.
I don't let it get to me one bit.
I have shaved long enough and know my way intuitively across any
razor right from when I first pick it up. I don't need tutorials to find an angle,
find the right soap or the right blade....a good razor shines regardless.

So what do you want with this thread?

I always try to test DEs out with different blades and soaps before making a decision. Aristocrat, Fatboy, Slim and an EJ Chatsworth Barley were those that failed rather quickly. The Aristocrat was too aggressive with even my mildest blade, the slim and fatboy drove me nuts with too many setting options, and the EJ was too long and awkward for me. They all got sold or PIF'd. On the other hand, 1950s SuperSpeeds and a Merkur 34G were favorites from first use. I wasn't too crazy at first with my Gillette Heritage when I first got it last year. I put it away for almost a year, and now it's the only razor I've used in the past 6 months.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I always try to test DEs out with different blades and soaps before making a decision. Aristocrat, Fatboy, Slim and an EJ Chatsworth Barley were those that failed rather quickly. The Aristocrat was too aggressive with even my mildest blade, the slim and fatboy drove me nuts with too many setting options, and the EJ was too long and awkward for me. They all got sold or PIF'd. On the other hand, 1950s SuperSpeeds and a Merkur 34G were favorites from first use. I wasn't too crazy at first with my Gillette Heritage when I first got it last year. I put it away for almost a year, and now it's the only razor I've used in the past 6 months.
My personality is such that I will automatically assume that if a razor is not to my liking, EVEN IF I LOADED IT WITH A GSB, that I am to blame. I blame my parents, LOL.

I have found that I can get anything to scrape whiskers off my incredibly handsome face, some are just more.... FUN in the process. So those that aren't FUN get little use. They need to move out.

Exactly… it’s important to form your own opinions and learn to think for yourself.

I’ve spent a lot of money following forum’s consensus only to find my preferences were different… Most here like 2-band badger, I prefer 3-band. Many like aggressive razors, my skin disagrees with them. Using aftershave balm was probably the biggest mistake I have made in my journey, etc.. the list goes on
God AS Balm was awful for my skin! I understand the logic but honestly for me it just made everything worse. AS tonic or splash + light face moisturiser is my go to now. Works a treat! Following the consensus helps to provide baseline things to compare to though. Like I wouldn't appreciate my favourite products if I hadn't used the cheaper supermarket alternatives or usual beginners recommendations. When I read or write reviews, I always look for the comparisons and differences between commonly used products. Helps to gauge whether I'd like it.

Also just in general, try using different blades if you don't like a razor. I swear the blade makes more of a difference than anything else in wetshaving. Thank god for blade testing multi-packs.

I usually give most things the benefit of the doubt first time out because to be honest I'm a slow learner (and necessarily stubborn). That said, I do *sometimes* form an immediate and irrevocable first impression of something, so no judgement.

I swear the blade makes more of a difference than anything else in wetshaving.

This is so true.

In fact, I would never judge a blade on its first outing, as I (and many others) have
noticed that they really shine on their second or third use.

My take on this is that, over time, I've already identified 2-3 blade brands that work
very well for me. No matter which razor I load them in....wolfman, taiga, charcoal,
vintage razors....they blend into the razor without asserting their individual personality
and just get on with it.

So when I come across a razor that will not deliver the goods, it does not make me
think its the blade's fault, because all the blades in my arsenal are stellar performers
that have been pre-vetted for years.

I also don't subscribe to this theory of using certain blades for certain razors....I use
mine uniformly across the few razors I have... with great success.

Ehh... while I certainly respect OPs opinion and I understand he is an experienced wet shaver, I would give a razor at least 2-3 outings to give it a fair shake. Of course, to be fair I actually haven’t tried but a handful of DE razors. I went with a cheap Parker for years, broke it, went with another cheap Parker. Then I decided to try SRs, and a few vintage Gillette’s. SRs took hold, so I rarely touch a DE now. Either way, I do respect experiences that others have. It’s entirely plausible that you “just know” that razor won’t work out. I kind of feel that way with my one super speed. It’s just too mild for my personal preference. But alas, I will keep it.

I'm in the more than one try camp. My latest razor was a bit of a disappointment, but I kept trying it. Maybe I just needed to find the right blade for it, but yesterday's shave was actually quite good and much better comfort wise and result wise. The blade was a Dorco---which many here dismiss as subpar.

I had a third generation UK Aristocrat that was gorgeous to look at but it caused me way too much pain. The first time I shaved with that razor it was a blood bath. I did use it two more times but never had an enjoyable shave from it. Like you said too aggressive, but I did give it two more tries.

I had a third generation UK Aristocrat that was gorgeous to look at but it caused me way too much pain. The first time I shaved with that razor it was a blood bath. I did use it two more times but never had an enjoyable shave from it. Like you said too aggressive, but I did give it two more tries.

Aristocrats are gorgeous to behold. When my step-father passed away almost 20 years ago, I found an unused 1941 Aristocrat in its gold case and original packaging (minus a few blades) buried in the back of his dresser drawer. He and my mom had been married 45 years and she never knew he had it. His daily razor was a SuperSpeed, which my mom tossed before I got there to claim it. I assume the Aristocrat was a gift from his parents when he enlisted during WW2 and he kept it as a memento. While tempted, I fortunately tried one off ebay before using it.

When my step-father passed away almost 20 years ago, I found an unused 1941 Aristocrat in its gold case and original packaging (minus a few blades) buried in the back of his dresser drawer.

One can only guess the back story....
Had he used it a few times (not being a man to judge a razor on its first outing)
and finally said, "nope, not for me"?

I'm in the more than one try camp. My latest razor was a bit of a disappointment, but I kept trying it. Maybe I just needed to find the right blade for it, but yesterday's shave was actually quite good and much better comfort wise and result wise. The blade was a Dorco---which many here dismiss as subpar.
Was that the Winning Razor? After the first use I thought it was Meh, but after several days in a row using a Personna Israeli Red blades in that razor, I got used to it and it is giving me the closest shaves I have ever had and doing it without any irritation. Definitely not a love at first shave razor but it rewards you if learn how to shave with it right.

Was that the Winning Razor? After the first use I thought it was Meh, but after several days in a row using a Personna Israeli Red blades in that razor, I got used to it and it is giving me the closest shaves I have ever had and doing it without any irritation. Definitely not a love at first shave razor but it rewards you if learn how to shave with it right.

It was indeed. It still doesn't do as well as my GC .68OC but I'd probably take it over the wife's Henson mild. I found it just will not do with 3 days growth.

I don't work Fridays, so usually no shaving. I work Saturdays, but see no one but the wife. I shave every Sunday for church.

I must say though, the winning razor is very smooth going against the grain. Across the gain is a whole nother animal.

Fully agree with the OP. I have sold many razors based on 1 or 2 shaves. And I never later got love from razors I did not like at first go.

YMMV but that’s me.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I am undecided about this.

On one side I feel like you are being very stubborn and not willing to adjust your technique to accommodate the requirements of some new razor.

On the other hand, at what point does it become a chore to learn how to use some awkward razor that doesn't really jive with your beard type and/or technique.

It took me about 12 shaves with the iKon Tek before I could achieve a good shave. Then it became (temporarily) my favorite razor. I feel like my technique drastically improved by learning how to use that razor.

I just acquired a Henson medium. First shave last night. For me, the razor was so ineffective, that I felt like quitting half way through the first pass. I thought: why is this so inefficient? is it my technique or the razor? is it really worth the effort to learn this razor? maybe I can sell it on the BST? Then I was reminded of this thread :sob:

I have come to a conclusion. I will try one more shave with the Henson, using a different blade, just in case my problem was caused by a dud blade. Or maybe I just need to use a sharper blade with this razor (maybe a Feather is needed for my beard type).

So I closely agree, but I think maybe 2 shaves is a little more reasonable, if only to rule out a dud blade.

BTW: I hope your return situation gets resolved quickly.

Last edited:
For me... life is short and I just don't have the time to waste on something that I know from 1st use just isn't going to work for me so I fully understand and agree with what @Tester28 did in this situation!! It was a very informative post he made and I am sure it can help someone somewhere make an informed decision about buying and possibly returning an item to an overseas vendor if it comes to that and what can possibly happen!! For anyone to think he was picking on Tatara, they need to re-read the entire OP again because that wasn't his intent and he did nothing of the sort!!

To elaborate further, for me it took about 2yrs and 20-30 different razors until I found the Timeless Ti95DC and upon 1st use I knew it was the razor for me and there was no use looking any further. I have used that razor for going on 3yrs now and it was the only razor I used in that time period because no other razor I'd used to that point gave me the results I desired and within a month or so of getting it every other razor I had was listed in the BST and long gone now. I just wasn't big on having to learn a technique for multiple razors and have to worry if I was awake enough to remember how the one I was going to shave with that day needed to be used and with which blade!! I don't have to worry about that today!!

I basically am a minimalist when it comes to shaving and I really have very little shaving gear to speak of because when I find something that works for me there is no thinking to it and that is where the search ends because I'm content. I have 4 brushes, 3 Stirling soaps, 2 After shaves, about 120 blades consisting of 3-4 brands, and 1 Alum block to go with my Ti95DC and a Ti Blackbird that I recently acquired out of curiosity and its still in the testing phase and gets pretty equal use with the Timeless and because it shaves "very" similar to it as well. There was no changing up of my technique and at this point it looks like it will stay in my cabinet as I do enjoy using it and there is no need to change up anything I am doing or having to learn something new... I know it doesn't matter which one I pick up, I will get the same 2.5 pass 16-20hr BBS and don't have to even think about it!!

I think it can take time to reach a confident understanding of how a certain razor can perform for me. In some cases it becomes clear on the first shave, in others it takes a few shaves and some experimentation to learn the best way to use the razor - blade angle, technique, skin condition and preparation, hair length and condition, etc. But once I am confident that I know the razor well enough I then know in what situations I will use it. I don’t believe in one ideal razor that is the best for me at all times, though there are certainly some that are a superior choice for me most of the time and will give me a good result all of the time. Other razors still have their place.

For example, I mostly prefer efficient razors with notable blade feel. But sometimes my skin can use a more gentle shave from a different razor. And there are degrees of difference in efficiency, blade feel, smoothness between my razors, as well as other factors unique to some razors that I enjoy, so it’s not simply an either/or choice.

My best all-round razor is the Blackland Tradere OC - good blade feel, comfortable, really efficient on my hair. My Blackland Blackbird gives me similar results with more blade feel and a bit less comfort, which I sometimes like and sometimes not, but it is nicest for me if I go slowly and enjoy the ’high definition’ auditory feedback it gives me. My H&S P076 Ti OC has the most enjoyable blade feel and sense of precision and agility, it is also very smooth and gentle on my skin - it gives me very good shaves but is not as efficient and requires more work if I want a really close shave, which is ok sometimes. My Timeless Ti Slim OC is approaching the Tradere in efficiency with slightly more blade feel and my Timeless SS 0.95 DC and Ti 0.68 DC are notably smoother with far less blade feel, and nice to use to rest my skin and not overdo the more difficult areas of my beard.

I like using them all, and others, in the way that I’ve learned they are best suited to - for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom